Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Would i be mad to go cold turkey off Evorel?  (Read 2206 times)

jasper

Would i be mad to go cold turkey off Evorel?
« on: February 13, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

Back on Evorel 50 for 3 months following my failed attempt at taking Zoely to calm my migraines. I am now dealing with a protracted migraine from day 4-5 of my cycle every month - this month though it is much worse than previously and i'm on day 7 with no sign of it calming down. I no longer know what it going on and whether I have too much estrogen or need progesterone or should just get off it all together (i'm worried as it helped a bit with my muscle pain and fatigue).  As my body is sensitive to any estrogen variation (and my cycle is clearly doing it's own thing anyway - hence regular periods etc without additional progesterone) I feel like trying to reduce slowly is just going to prolong the agony - I have no idea if/when this migraine is going to end. Would it be better to just bite the bullet and just stop and see what happens? It's been nearly a year now (started last April) and despite initial signs that evorel helped, I haven't been able to maintain any improvement. Out of ideas and totally desperate  :'( :'(
thanks for any help x

Lizab

Re: Would i be mad to go cold turkey off Evorel?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »

I've been researching this as I'm stopping my hrt too. Most everything I see says to taper, but I did see one source, I unfortunately can't recall where to direct you to the source, that said she tells patients on the higher does to taper off, but 50 or lower can stop cold turkey. It seems to be a variable anyway as to whether weaning is any better than cold turkey. Personally I'm weaning, but only because I've been such a mess I was too afraid to upset my body even more. Having read that doctor's advice, I plan to wean much quicker than the months and months that I see often advised.

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »

Aha! The source of that info was here on the meno matters site! If you look under the menu, and expand the info on hrt treatments, there's a section on stopping hrt.

Nickyp

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »

I was taking a continuous hrt but due to spotting the doctor told me to stop taking it. I was a bit scared of going cold turkey, but to be honest apart from feeling a bit warm now and then seem to be doing ok. I feel it's easy to put everything down to taking hrt or not taking it where as there could be other causes un related, it's so difficult to know. I decided just to for it, iand fingers crossed so far no regrets. Hope you get it sorted soon

jasper

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »

thanks everyone. To clarify - I started the HRT because of severe hormonal migraines so it's not causing them but, although it helped a lot in the beginning, I am beginning to worry that it could now be making them worse.
May just have to bite the bullet and see what happens....