Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New to the forum confused and scared  (Read 4553 times)

TallulahsMom

New to the forum confused and scared
« on: February 24, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »

Hi ladies

Thank you for adding me. I am 44 and 3.5 years ago my periods went haywire as in heavier, more gushy days and longer. Since then they have been erratic, I have had 11 periods in 2014 all around 2 weeks; 9 periods in 2015 all 7 days long and then skipped the last 4 months of the year no periods at all; in 2016 I had 5 periods, the shortest was 15 days and the longest was the whole month of December but I skipped periods July - October. The period I started at the beginning of December is still going on now, I have had one gap of 7 days and another of 3 days.

In June 2016 my period was heavy and flooding after 18 days and I took Norethisterone but didn't tolerate the side effects so stopped it. A week later I tried tranexamic acid and the period stopped in about 4 days. Was sent for a scan to rule out fibroids and scan showed 3cm simple cyst left ovary and endometrium 20mm. Bloods showed a little dip in iron and as I thought I had had hormone tests and asked about them I believe she told me I was perimenopausal. She definitely said there was no need to try a POP but I could try Mirena as she said she didn't think I would have any more periods. I didn't have mirena as I cannot stand the thought of it and have "suffered" since then believing I was near the end! She now says that she told me I was premenopausal, although the referral to the scan definitely said perimenopausal for 12 months.

Anyway next scan to resize cyst was November, showed womb lining is smooth but 23mm, cyst is about the same size and referred for hysteroscopy to check womb lining.

I took tranexamic acid for period October/ November but no effects after 3 days and period did stop for 14 days before starting again in December through to January. Took no tranexamic acid in December and period did stop for 7 days before starting again mid January. By end of January, flooding was worse so took tranexamic acid again and period stopped 3 days before starting again.

My periods seems to getting worse with clots and heavy bright red and often dark red flow. On worse clotting days of which there are maybe 2/3 the clots are huge (half size of palm) and (TMI) like chunks of liver. Very scary.

My iron is holding up at 12.7 but that is down to cereal every day and black pudding. I am very tired, no energy, not depressed but crying at the slightest thing like you would be on day 3 after giving birth.

I am still awaiting hysteroscopy because no referral letter was done, and I will be seen within 6 weeks I have been told. I have started taking cerazette yesterday and it seemed to stop then I have had red bleeding again today although it seems a bit thicker, and just littler clots. I expect with the thickened lining it will take a while for cerazette to work. No other side effects though - I thought it was magic last night cos the period just stopped  :D

So bloods done on Tuesday show Oestradiol is 110; FSH is 10.1 and LH is 1.8 and I am not perimenopausal. I know bloods are not the most reliable so I am not holding much with that - I have been having night sweats for so long I can't remember; hot flashes every so often; have had vaginal dryness for about 6 years; skin and hair itching off me for at least 3 years (my hands are like sandpaper now!), brain fog and losing my words for about 2 years; and facial hair  :'( lots more of it for at least 2 years. Mood swings aren't so bad although I fly off the handle at least a couple of times a month. Insomnia so long I don't remember - night sweats and insomnia started together.

Anyway, no thryoid or other medical problems. I am pretty sure having been a 28 day cycle girl with 7 day period, 4 of which were heavy, I only ever skipped a period twice in my life and both times I was pregnant. I know I am in perimenopause, but I guess I feel a bit scared right now they said no because if not that then what? My Mum was through all this by 47 BTW

I would be glad of anyone saying anything to help as right now being tired, thick lining, nagging niggle discomfort on my left side which is probably the cyst and bleeding which nothing is stopping is making me think the worst. I have begged for a hysterectomy by the way but told it's got loads of downsides. Truth is I can cope with any downside that doesn't involve soaking through my clothes with blood.

Just actually nice to write all this down, thank you for listening xxx

Hurdity

Re: New to the forum confused and scared
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »

Hi Tallulah'sMom

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. It sounds rather complicated to me. Normally in the absence of anything else, irregular periods (with skipped cycles) above the age of 45, combined with menopausal symptoms - signify peri-menopause. However as you are younger, in the UK the Guidelines suggest tests may be useful - but blood tests vary so much not least because levels of oestrogen, FSH and LH vary according to where in the menstrual cycle bloods are taken - and of course if your periods are irregular you won't know this - but you are having symptoms so sounds like you are peri-menopausal.

However the fact that your lining is thick indicates plenty of oestrogen doesn't it - and I presume the clots are there because it has grown so thick and is coming away irregularly?

The only other thing I though of was polycystic ovary syndrome or something like if if you can have a mild version - but not really sure about that - in this condition from what I've read the level of androgens is higher than usual but I thought this would have been picked up earlier. Sorry I don't really know anything about this.

At least the Cezarette (this is the POP isn't it?) will gradually thin the lining. Until that happens then I doubt that adding oestrogen would be recommended as it would further stimulate the lining - but usually only adding oestrogen will help eliminate flushes and sweats in menopause.

Have you thought about one of the CCP types? There is one called Qlaira that is similar to hRT - the high doses of progestogen should keep the lining thin and there are only 2 tablet free days. Otherwise the conventional CCP can be taken back to back I gather - for 3 months anyway.

Anyway I do hope your investigations go well and you find a treatment that helps the bleeding permanently and keeps the lining thin. I know there is also an operation - endometrial ablation - which some women have to reduce the womb lining - but no-one has talked about it recently on here.

Take care.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:51:55 PM »

:welcomemm:

PCO Syndrome is a hormonal imbalance which can cause ladies to grow lots of hair  :sigh: .....

Your womb thickness is more than expected even though you are bleeding.  I had clots and painful periods throughout my menstruating Life until I went on The Pill. 

From where I'm sitting it sounds peri to me  ::), why your GP is confusing you with words I can't understand.  Symptoms should be enough to trigger various investigations!  Blood tests are reliably un-reliable!

Browse round.  Make notes.

TallulahsMom

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:20:30 PM »

Thanks for the answers and the welcome, yes I think I am complicated too haha. I am only a few months off being 45 though so he might change his mind on my birthday

It's not PCOS - they ruled that out and the thyroid which is what they thought it might be 3 years ago. I have always had heavyish periods really and been on the Combined Pill till about 8 years ago taken back to back 3 months at a time to keep my periods at bay while the kids were little. Came off it really well, straight back into clockwork cycle. When I did go haywire 3 years ago it was a 12 week period with a 4 day break, a 6 day break and a 3 day break. Since then as I said it's been missing ones mostly. After that exceptionally long period my womb lining measured 12mm!!! But they checked everything out then and ruled it all out, decided it was just a random bleed.

Hopefully this cerazette will work in time and I agree adding oestrogen is no good while my womb lining is thick. He wanted to put me on a combined one even though I have migraine with aura in the last 4 years too - I am cross they didn't just try the cerazette in June when I asked for it. Ah well. Maybe this post will help someone else at some point.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome xxxx

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 09:00:55 PM »

Just one wee thing I wanted to pick up on - you say your iron is fine at 12 which I take it is your haemoglobin? Do you know your ferritin results? If it is low you can feel pretty awful even though haemoglobin levels might be ok. Doctors are happy with it being 15 but many people don't feel well until it is at 50 or even 60. Just a wee thing to check when you've been bleeding so much as my ferritin levels went from 20 to 10 in only 4 months.

TallulahsMom

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 09:29:46 PM »

Oh yes my ferritin is 16 is that why I am so tired? I have been eating cereal and black pudding as much as possible to keep it up. I think they checked B12 and it was okay. Do you think it's time to add some multivitamins? Thank you so much ladies, these threads are so helpful xxx

nearly50

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »

I think there is a very good chance that is why you are tired TM. I take ferrous fumarate tablets which aren't too kind on the stomach but got my levels back up pretty quickly. Others take Floradix which is kinder but will take longer. I don't think a multivitamin will make much difference and my Dr told me dietary changes wouldn't help as my periods are so heavy and long.

Really hope you don't have many periods left, I've only had 1 in the past 5 months which is such a luxury as I was averaging 16 a year lasting 10 days each. I just want that stage over with!

Final thought, how are your vit d levels?

TallulahsMom

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:13:08 PM »

You have been amazing thank you!

I have no idea what my vit D is but I can now see my iron is on the low side and probably as I am worried sick and fed up bleeding I haven't been eating too well. I just nipped to Tesco for some multivitamins with Iron for now and when I see GP again on 6th March I will ask for some tests on my vitamins and see what is happening.

Worse thing I did was start Googling, fretting in case it's cancer while the bloods have said no perimenopause. I think I need to trust the symptoms I have though. Bleeding has always been heavy, it's exceptionally heavy lately, last thickening check was 23mm, but last time I bled a long time it was 12mm, and to be honest this has been twice as heavy. Hopefully I will get my appointment soon. I will keep updating just in case anyone else is reading this thread.

Thanks again so much ladies xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 09:28:08 PM »

Dr GOOGLE don't know much unless it's an NHS web-site, that's why these medic-led Forums are so helpful!

Make a list of your symptoms and concerns to take to your appt. on 6th March.  Get into that sunshine as often as possible, 30 mins. brisk walking daily is important.  (note to self  ;D ) ......

Why do so many worry about cancer  :-\ ....... I suppose our great/grand parents worried about TB/consumption >sigh<

nearly50

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »

What a shame you've been so worried TallulahsMum, my FSH was 8 or something last year but my doctor said that my symptoms showed that I was perimenopausal as levels go up and down so much. It sounds like you'd have been told the same thing if you'd seen them a few months later when you're 45 so that's just ludicrous.

Your GP might be happy with your ferritin levels being 16 as the NHS think 15 is fine. :( I just picked up ferrous fumarate online once my prescription ran out. You can pick up Vitamin D tablets cheaply too, we probably all need them. Good luck, it will end - a couple of years ago I spent more time bleeding than not bleeding and I really did think it would never end, but I've only had 10 days bleeding in the past 5 months so do try to tell yourself it won't go on forever.

Hope your appointment goes well on 6 March.

TallulahsMom

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »

I have to say you have all made me feel so much better, that and the fact that (everyone please touch wood!!!) the bleeding seems to have stopped today. Just a few red streaks this morning and clear since I took my tablet at lunchtime. So 4 cerazette to stop the Niagara Falls of flooding - I would be delighted if I never have another period ever. I wasn't expecting it to work. Of course I have lost that much maybe there just isn't any left. I will definitely be writing things down to ask in future, making notes of the answers and taking someone with me.

As I have said I will keep checking in and updating this thread, there are threads on here from 2012 have helped me so who knows who is reading in the future. If you are scared of trying Cerazette don't be x