Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: The Surgical Menopause Thread  (Read 77097 times)

Tempest

Re: The Surgical Menopause Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2017, 05:05:41 PM »

Hi, Hurdity!

I just wanted to say that the criteria for being referred for a DEXA are quite 'tight' actually. Sadly, you cannot be usually considered unless you've had previous fracture (crazy, I know). I discussed this with my Consultant as I have had previous spinal surgery and we're still waiting to see if I'll be 'accepted' for a scan.

I know a certain Professor (gentleman) always offers the scan to his patients - it's a pity that the NHS can't offer this to BSO ladies, especially if their surgery was before the age of natural menopause but with things the way they are with cost cutting within the NHS, I can't see this being offered as standard any time soon. :o

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2017, 05:14:37 PM »

Hi Tempest
I was wondering about DEXA scan, had o Google it as my GP will be sending me for one at some point. Didn't realise it wasn't easy to have this scan!!

Tempest

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »

Sadly yes, Yorkshire Girl. The referrals are 'vetted' and have to fit the strict criteria, or scans are granted also in 'exceptional circumstances'. Your GP can certainly refer you though. xxxx

Nikki180515

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »

That's interesting as I asked my GP out the DEXA scan and got a flat no!

Even after I mentioned about oestoarthiritis in our family.   Don't really want to have to have a fracture to get the scan.  ;D :-\

Nikki xx

Hurdity

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »

Thanks Tempest - I have heard so many women talking about them, even women who haven't had fractures that I presumed it was quite straightforward. I'm not quite sure why lots of women seem to know they have osteopenia though? Maybe they've all had private scans and has led me to think this is routine? Do they not even offer them to  surgical menopausal women under menopause age if they are concerned?

Hurdity x

Menomale

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »

Hi ladies,

Apparently you can get one if you're a smoker  ??? :o
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/DEXA-scan/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Tempest

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2017, 05:57:48 PM »

At my clinic, they ARE concerned that younger surgically menopausal ladies can't automatically access scans. It's all down to funding, of course. :'( I'm guessing a good number of the ladies who pass through MM and have been diagnosed with osteopenia probably have received their scans privately (as in Prof. Studd's patients - and we see a fair few of those) or are 'exceptional cases'.

I had lumbar spine surgery due to degenerative disc disease at quite a young age, so we're hoping I will 'fit' the criteria loosely under 'previous fracture', but to be honest it's a long shot....... :(

I'll certainly keep you posted if I am successful in getting an appointment.

Tempest

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »

Thank you Menomale! These are just the indications for a DEXA, not the actual criteria which you need to satisfy in order to qualify for one, sadly. :(

Menomale

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »

Thanks sweetie, as an outlander I get confused with indications, criteria, recommendations.... ;D

Menomale

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »

This says... "why is it necessary" http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/DEXA-scan/Pages/Why-is-it-necessary.aspx
Why publish this if it is not the actual criteria to qualify for it?

Menomale

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2017, 06:46:12 PM »

Yes Hasty, hence my confusion... apparently the paper accepts everything but reality is different.

I can't really comment on this as a foreigner, but it's interesting that my private insurance company have concluded after years refusing DEXA and other procedures on a frequent basis that they prevent further diseases/costs and allowing them is actually a good cost/benefit policy.

Tempest

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »

Oh my goodness, Hasty! That's absolutely terrible!!! >:(  :'(

abbyH

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2017, 08:32:59 PM »

I was given one no questions asked at Chelsea and westminster meno clinic!

seems its part of their normal protocol!!!

Nothing abnnormal as there was no follow up!

abby xx

Loubylou48

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »

Hello, I'm new to the forums. I've just been put on the waiting list for a hysterectomy for fibroids which are causing prolonged and often heavy bleeding.

I've tried 2 Mirena coils which worked for a time (over a period of about 6 yrs) but my last one failed in May 2016 - I've been bleeding ever since, only relief I get is by taking Northisterone.

I had an endometrial ablation which  apparantly was pointless as they rarely work with fibroids last September - but now I have come to the end of the road and hysterectomy it is.

I'm 48 and have 2 teenage sons and a newish 3 year relationship with a great guy, we have a good sex life. I'm healthy and enjoy the gym and walking.  I have no history of much cancer in my family, all smears have been normal over the years. I'm having very few menopausal symptoms, I wake up in the night hot but not sweating, I suffer from insomnia occasionally but that's nothing new and I do feel more tired but I'm getting old!

My consultant wants me to think about removal of my ovaries and this is where my dilemma lies - the thought of going into immediate menopause is scarier than the actual operation itself. There is nothing wrong with either ovary. I think I would rather keep them and let nature take it's course and for the menopause to happen gradually.

People I know have varying opinions and reading around it, views are mixed. My other concern is the problems women are facing to receive the correct HRT when my ovaries can carry on supplying me with hormones.

I know ultimately it's my decision but I would value any opinions.

Thanks and sorry for the essay   ::)

abbyH

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »

hi Louby Lou. Gosh I was in exactly the same boat (minus the new relationship :))
My story could be yours: years of awful periods, getting more and more unwell - thryoid unbalanced too. Anaemic etc hair loss.

I too got to the 'end of the road' as it were last year - after having tried the whole shebang, norisitherone (yuck!) then Esmya (more yuck) then waiting for an ablation that was pointless and never happened (as fibroids made womb too wonky)

So... I plumped for the total hysterectomy and ovary removal. here's where our stories differ as my mum died from ovarian cancer (following a similar story with fibroids hysterectomy etc)...

Yes, it's been challenging and the hair loss did get worse after the op - last June..
It's getting easier and now I'm trying a different sort of HRT (Tibolone) I think there might be hope..

I would say, if there is no cancer history etc then keep your ovaries and let yourself slide into menopause gradually and take hormones if you need them. In retrospect i would have done this rather than go dramatically into surgical meno...

there are lots of very helpful people on this forum and you will get lots of support so feel free to post any questions..
I had vaginal surgery which does have a better recovery time, but i think I underestimated the emotional upheaval and then on top of that the hormone crash.. I didn't have much HRT after the op - as can't tolerate oestrogen only - and felt terrible!

Hope you can make the right decision for you..

Abby xx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20