Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Liver Function Test  (Read 4265 times)

margaret

Liver Function Test
« on: January 20, 2017, 09:43:27 PM »

Hi

I had my annual health check at the doctors 2 weeks ago and one of my blood tests showed I had raised Liver enzymes, now  I've got myself scared to death in case I've damaged my liver drinking too much, this happened last year and I was tested 3 months later and that one was ok.  :o

Menomale

Re: Liver Function Test
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »

Hi!

Are all tested liver enzymes high? And how much high? Unless you have clinical symptoms I woudnt't be worried because these enzymes tend to skyrocket after minor problems and then come down without any intervention. Mine were 100 x the normal range when I had dengue fever but they came back to normal within a month. If you are a heavy drinker you could try milk thistle extract based phytotherapics called sylimarin that is a very safe, effective and widely used liver protector.

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »

I had that last year, went into total panic convinced I was about to die from liver failure, and then it was ok next time round.  Try not to worry.  If they thought it was something serious, I'm sure they would be looking into it further now, not looking at a retest in a few months.

Having said that, if you are drinking a lot, it would be worth looking at cutting down anyway as alcohol is famous for increasing menopausal problems, so you will probably feel better all round if you cut right back.

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:53:23 PM »

My hubby had this after an all inclusive holiday, perfectly normal next time round.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »

Depending on which enzyme is raised tells the Drs what might be causing it. If its alcohol then its a particular enzyme.   My friends husband who is a heavy drinker just got a lecture from him GP which he was not happy about but he didn't realise that they knew he is a heavy drinker because of his result! He has had to stop drinking totally for 6 weeks and be retested which he is finding very hard. His result was very bad though.

Medication can raise certain enzymes as well but your Dr will have some idea of what could be causing it if you ask,

groundhog

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »

Hi Margaret
I've had abnormal LFT lately too.  Initially I too was totally alarmed.  One was 5 time what it should be.  I'm not a heavy drinker.  The abnormal results are still going on but no one seems that concerned.  They can be caused by so many things and they usually correct themselves.  Mine are probably linked to a low level infection I have or possibly gallstones.
Please try not to worry,  it really doesn't necessarily mean there is anything seriously wrong xx in fact it's probably nothing and may even be ok now.

margaret

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »

Thank for all of your replies, the doctor took another blood test and I'm waiting on the results, she said I might have to go for a scan of my liver.

ellie

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »

I have the same problem, and I was sent for a liver scan. It showed that my liver was a bit enlarged too.....No reason has been found except that I was probably born that way....
      I got so fed up of being asked how much I drank, when in fact I don't drink at all......it is now written in my records, NOT to ask me again.....

matildamouse

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 02:39:46 AM »

I barely drink (about twice a year a glass of champagne with a special celebration) and had raised liver enzsymes which indicated "fatty liver" which is caused by a high carbohydrate diet. I also had borderline type 2 diabetes with slightly raised blood glucose levels. I was not even overweight at that stage....so all of this was quite a shock to me. I only gained a bit when menopause started. THe doctor I saw at that stage  believed in a lchf diet(low carb healthy fats) for all his patients especially diabetics and in a years time I reversed my "fatty liver" as well as my type 2 diabetes and lost weight. I now make this is a lifestyle to eat like that.

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »

I have the same problem, and I was sent for a liver scan. It showed that my liver was a bit enlarged too.....No reason has been found except that I was probably born that way....
      I got so fed up of being asked how much I drank, when in fact I don't drink at all......it is now written in my records, NOT to ask me again.....

I wish I could convince them to stop asking me!  I never drink or smoke and never have, but EVERY time I go to the doctors, I'm asked at least twice...they obviously struggle to believe that anyone can exist without drinking or smoking at least a little...makes you wonder how much they are imbibing, if they find it so hard to believe someone is teetotal!