Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Definition of medical 'treatment' for holiday insurance  (Read 1881 times)

Katejo

Definition of medical 'treatment' for holiday insurance
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »

When a travel insurer asks us to declare any condition for which we have had a hospital referral/treatment in the past year, is there a recognised definition of 'treatment'? By this I mean "Does it include an annual check up for a longstanding condition when nothing new is recommended and no change is made to prescribed medication? One insurer has told me that I don't need to declare such a check up while another refuses point blank to say what is meant by treatment.
i am happy to declare the check up if needed but don't want to say that I have had treatment if nothing has changed. I can't answer questions honestly if I don't know what the insurer means in their terminology. Surely a patient who has attended their check up and is confirmed as stable is a lower risk than someone who doesn't bother to go?

flutterby

Re: Definition of medical 'treatment' for holiday insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:31:27 PM »

Hi Katejo you have my sympathy on this, not only do they differ between insurers but I've found my insurer regularly moves the goal posts. At first I had HRT noted then they said that it didn't need to note this ( I was allowed 2 conditions or medications before they upped the premium) I hate ringing up in case there is something I've forgotten about and the insurance is invalidated.
To be truthful Katejo your medical knowledge will be better than the people you are talking to at the insurance company and therein lies the problem as they categorise certain conditions incorrectly as they simply don't understand. Flutterbyx

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:36:58 PM »

I need to sort this out myself, I haven't updated my insurers that I have fibroids and I think I also should tell them I had low ferritin. Got a copy of my medical reports and realised I'm down as having asthma as a doctor decided I had this 20 years ago when I was wheezy once -never had to take an inhaler or had any follow up.  Not sure if I can ask doctors to take this off my records or not. Sorry for hijack Katejo - it is not straightforward.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:27:59 PM »

Hi Katejo you have my sympathy on this, not only do they differ between insurers but I've found my insurer regularly moves the goal posts. At first I had HRT noted then they said that it didn't need to note this ( I was allowed 2 conditions or medications before they upped the premium) I hate ringing up in case there is something I've forgotten about and the insurance is invalidated.
To be truthful Katejo your medical knowledge will be better than the people you are talking to at the insurance company and therein lies the problem as they categorise certain conditions incorrectly as they simply don't understand. Flutterbyx
Yes you can tell that they are reading from a set text. If I ask for a definition of the word treatment, i am told to ask my GP. I point out that I know exactly which conditions I have but just want to know whether a check up counts as treatment. i actually want to declare that I have under active thyroid just in case but then it asks whether i have had treatment. My condition is very stable and my dosage hasn't changed.

cubagirl

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:37:43 PM »

Declare everything to the best of your knowledge. Never hide anything, as insurance companies will find a way out of something if they possibly can.