Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Question About Mindfulness.  (Read 3927 times)

Kathleen

Question About Mindfulness.
« on: April 17, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »

Hello ladies.

I was talking to someone today who teaches Mindfulness and she suggested that it may help me with my anxiety. She recommended a book and CD and said that next time I experienced a hot flush and all the nervous feelings that go with it I should use these techniques to deal with it. I actually bought the book a few years ago and I struggled because 'being in the moment' meant I was forced to notice how awful I felt, it obviously didn't eradicate the meno sensations and I stopped trying because I felt a failure. My friend wants me to sign up to a course but I'm tired of trying things that promise so much but make you feel inadequate if they don't solve the problem lol.

Have any ladies tried Mindfulness (I think Sparkle is doing a course atm) and would like to share their opinions and experiences. I am interested in giving it a go and I can see the value of meditation but I'm not confident that I can make it work.

Take care all and I look forward to reading any comments.

K.

Susannah

Re: Question About Mindfulness.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »

Hi Kathleen
I recently did a psychologist-led CBT Mindfulness course and I feel it has helped my anxiety although not eradicated it.  I think the thing about being in the moment refers to either "being" with the feelings you're experiencing - just accepting they are there (being curious about them rather than terrified!) and if you can't do that just focusing on your breathing until the worst of it passes.  I learned about mindful walking too - concentrating on the sensations in every part of the feet as you walk which can make going to dreaded places, such as work for me, less scary when walking through the car park or through the doors.  It's not a miracle cure - more a gradual way in changing your thinking about your feelings and situations.

My main problem with it is finding quiet time to practise the meditations. But I use the techniques often now and think it's worth persevering with it.

Su 😊xx

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »

Hello Susannah and Sparkle.

Thank you for responding ladies and I appreciate your comments.

My friend has sent me an email with more information. It's an eight week evening course and the lessons last for two hours so I think I'll have another read of the book before I commit to any classes. If I decide to join I will definitely update the forum.

Thanks again ladies and wishing you both well.

K.

Woodlands

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »

Hello there ladies.
I live by mindfullness.......living in the moment/present. It avoids dragging the past with us or being scared of the future ......ever new day is the present one and a new day.
Many of you know my eldest took his life 2 years ago and my youngest is now taking drugs....if I can handle lifes struggles anyone can.....I am also about to move house.
Woodlands xx

Woodlands

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »

Thanks....
Had it not been for taking it on board three years ago I would be in the gutter....this new way is the best way .  .
My DD continues to be a wild card, my eldest would have been 26 next month and thankfully my DS ......is fine phew xx

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:17:35 AM »

Hello Woodlands.

Thank you for your comments and so pleased that mindfulness has helped you.

When I was talking to my friend she said the next time I feel a hot flush/anxious/palpitations etc I should try ‘living in the moment‘ and that would help. I went through the exercises in the book and used the CD but it didn't have any impact.  Can I ask ladies if it has helped with your actual meno symptoms ? 

Wishing you well and thank you for your help.

K.

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »

Mindfulness didn't do it for me, I'm afraid to say. However, always give these things a try. I was given so many bits of paper on mindfulness to fill in to help me rationalise things. I found them a deterrent. I knew what the problem was & putting it down on paper wasn't helpful at all. Therapist made deductions based on my scribblings. Chatting generally was more helpful, a sounding block so to speak. At the time lots of things had been happening health wise with family. My anxiety went through the roof. Hubby became withdrawn, sorting things in his own way, so having a neutral to speak to was most beneficial. Our GP surgery has a "listener" she doesn't judge just helps by being there.