Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Post Menopausal bleeding  (Read 3519 times)

CoastalGirl

Post Menopausal bleeding
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »

Hi I am new to this forum, not overly sure how it works but wondered if anyone had experienced the same problems I am having at the moment.
I am 56 and my last period was around 2-3 years ago.  I went on HRT Patches Evorel Conti in October for hot flushes and just before Christmas I experienced some spotting and period pain.  I went to the doc and she said probably the patches and stop using them.  All was fine for a week and then I have been spotting again sometimes red and sometimes darker. I have had a smear which has come back clear and a swab which has come back with thrush which I have treated.  I have done a self swab and am waiting for results.  I am also waiting for a scan date which the doctor has put through as urgent !!

I hate the internet as I seem to only find negative things and am convinced I have womb cancer  I am also terrified about the scan as if they do the internal one, I struggle with a smear which is so painful I cried. 

Anyone had similar experiences... I cant stop thinking about it !  :'(

Hurdity

Re: Post Menopausal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »

Hi Coastalgirl

:welcomemm:

Please do not worry! Your body has been without oestrogen for a couple of years and a certain amount of bleeding and spotting is perfectly normal during the first 6 months of using a continuous combined HRT - and your doctor should know this instead of worrying you! it would be extremely unlikely that you have womb cancer and it certainly would not be caused by the HRT. You do not need to stop using them either. Hasn't she even read the information!  Dooh!

Sorry to hear about the smear but glad all is OK there. You do not need to have an urgent scan - this would be for post-menopausal bleeding that was unexpected.

Sorry gtg someone at  the door :)

Hurdity x

CoastalGirl

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:36:24 PM »

Thank you so much for your response. 

It has helped, but the doctor did put the frighteners on me, saying although I had only been on the patches for 3 months, spotting after a week needed to be investigated.  The smear has come back ok, but that doesnt really look at womb just the cervix ?

With my health I am somewhat a glass half empty gal, hate it !!
Thanks
CG

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »

Hi again - sorry I had to cut short my response! I had to go out.

What I also meant to say was that it sounds like you need local oestrogen as well anyway - because your vaginal tissues have thinned and you are probably suffering from a degree of vaginal atrophy if you are that long post-menopause. Hence the smear test was painful. Here is some more information:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

This will help plump up the tissues and mean that any investigations should be less painful after you have been using local oestrogen for a while.

It depends also what sort of scan you have - in my area we would be given an ultra-sound scan first, but sometimes a transvaginal scan can be given at the same time - where a probe type thing is inserted - but they use plenty of lube. If you have to have one of these then i suggest you take a couple of painkillers an hour before your appointment - this was the advice given to me when I went for a hysteroscopy.

It is unlikely you would need one of these unless your womb lining was very thick or they could see any irregularities on the other scans. As I said - many doctors would not send you for investigations for bleeding after a short time on HRT. You did mention the bleeding continuing - but again - you have stimulated your uterus with oestrogen and it takes a while for the progestogen ( in the Evorel conti) to work properly in preventing thickening of the uterus so the bleeding after stopping could well be the odd thickened parts coming away.

I would always go of any investigations though - since it can put your mind at rest - provided that it is not painful for you!

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

CoastalGirl

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »

Thanks for this.  Yes the scan on Monday so not too long to wait.  The bleeding is intermittent and only notice when I go to the loo, doesnt seem to come away naturally but when I wee and wipe, and even more so if I strain at all when moving bowels seems to come away...?  However having period paid on and off with it also.  Very confusing. Thanks for your advice and help on this

CG

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »

Hi CoastalGirl - welcome from me too. As always the ladies on here have given you excellent advice so I hope that you don't feel so alone now.

I just want to say that conti HRT is known to cause breakthrough bleeding during the first six months or so. 

Taz x  :hug:

CoastalGirl

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 09:29:56 PM »

Really i didnt  know that and neither did the doctor !  Thanks. Since coming off evorel conti btw i have continued spotting..or bleeding. Not sure what you call it but everytime i wipe after going to loo either pink paper...riny clots or bit more. But only then does it come away...spotting?? Its 2 weeks since doc told me to stop patches...soi  keep thi king it may stop..ill have a couple of days with nothing then there it is again...plays havoc eoth your emotions. CG x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:57:10 PM »

Scroll down to "possible side effects" - this should also be on the information leaflet which may have been in the packet http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/a7943/evorel-conti-patches-estradiol-norethisterone/

Taz x