Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: World's most expensive Christmas decorations  (Read 5884 times)

cubagirl

World's most expensive Christmas decorations
« on: December 14, 2016, 11:31:50 PM »

Did anyone watch this on Ch4 tonight? Hubby & I were gobsmacked at what some will spend. One star decoration cost in excess of £500,000! Think they were planning on selling it for £615,000. It had a huge diamond in the centre which could be removed & worn as a necklace! 

Box of chocolates at I think £2,000. They looked beautiful but OMG. Heck I thought I'd spent a lot at £25 in Hotel Chocolat!

Annie0710

Re: World's most expensive Christmas decorations
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 06:30:12 AM »

I saw it starting but OH switched over

That's crazy what people spend. When we go to London I love going in Harrods but just to see how the other half live, and I can usually afford a little something from the Gift Shop

Since the kids have grown up I do buy better quality clothes sometimes (I'm talking Lipsy/River Island !) but I'm a believer that if put together right you can look lovely in any quality clothes

X

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:22:02 AM »

Think they've missed the point of Christmas, by the sound of it.

Evelyn63

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »

Wasnt it unbelievable !  The bit I couldn't get my head round ( well most of it but this stands out !) was the house being decorated for Christmas , by a fancy florist, then the guy acting on behalf of his client said, they may not even be in London for Christmas but just wanted the house decorated !!!!  Think it was in excess of £8,000 just for the decorations  :o

bramble

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »

I have it taped but I would love someone to come to my house and decorate it for Christmas!! That would be fab! No more struggling with Christmas lights that all go phut on Christmas Eve, no more trying to display Christmas cards in a less than arty manner, no more delving into the deepest parts of the garage and loft to drag stuff out, no checking for live or dead spiders in the process! No more angst about whether to make a wreath or bottle out and buy one. Joy!
And I would love a house to have a big hall so I could get a huge tree in it!
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »

In 1983 I had a new house - £35,000.  A few years ago for my birthday [20th], I was given a camper van - £36,000 …….. otherwise I do C.mas on the cheap, i.e. I buy cards and decorations in January  ;)

Forgot to add - Himself tied a bright ribbon around the camper so that when I opened the garage door there it stood in all it's Glory  :)

Our problem is what to buy each other as we give each other presents all year round  ::)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:09:12 PM by CLKD »

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »

I agree proper meaning of Christmas is lost on folk like that. Hubby & I do spend more on Christmas than we used to. I blame my brother. Our two had a present each from Santa, plus a few others from relatives. Their kids had piles of stuff. We could see our 2 looking slightly dejected. Nowadays our kids get one main present which they've asked for & a surprise gift which costs about £10. However, grandchildren get spoiled rotten, but within a reasonable budget.

bramble

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 12:09:55 AM »

Watched the Xmas excess program. The woman in the castle had the same Xmas tree hat as me last year - £2.99 from am@zon!! They were the ones with gifts under 8 trees!! Couldn't believe it! Perhaps it was in a posh cracker!