Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Desperately worried about this ...  (Read 12350 times)

Hurdity

Re: Desperately worried about this ...
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 11:15:31 PM »

Melbury - that article was written in Feb 2015 - you can see from the weblink - and this was a study (big analysis) that got a lot of publicity last year. There was a lot of information in the press about it and the British menopause Society responded to the study here:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=158/Joint-RCOG-BMS-statement-Lancet-study-examines-use-of-HRT-and-ovarian-cancer-risk

I hope this provides some reassurance for you. There are some small risks of using some types of HRT for some women but it's all a question of deciding on the balance between benefit and risk. Personally I concentrate on making sure my cancer risk in all other areas of my life are low - I drink only a little alcohol, I don't smoke, I am slim (I work at this!), I exercise regularly and I eat a very healthy diet from fresh ingredients with few or no processed foods, and make sure my life is not stressful. Because I am in my 60's I have to be especially vigilant and of course some things we cannot control - eg some life events, and some aspects of our health, but hopefully you get my meaning? Quality of the life you are living in the here and now is important...

I can understand you are worried about abdominal symptoms and I know I am whenever I experience them - but you are doing the right thing to get checked out, and hopefully there will be nothing too seriously wrong. In the meantime - banish Dr Google!!

Try to relax and stop worrying over the next few days if you can and hope all will be well. Take care :)

Hurdity x

Melbury

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 07:58:56 PM »

Melbury - that article was written in Feb 2015 - you can see from the weblink - and this was a study (big analysis) that got a lot of publicity last year. There was a lot of information in the press about it and the British menopause Society responded to the study here:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=158/Joint-RCOG-BMS-statement-Lancet-study-examines-use-of-HRT-and-ovarian-cancer-risk

I hope this provides some reassurance for you. There are some small risks of using some types of HRT for some women but it's all a question of deciding on the balance between benefit and risk. Personally I concentrate on making sure my cancer risk in all other areas of my life are low - I drink only a little alcohol, I don't smoke, I am slim (I work at this!), I exercise regularly and I eat a very healthy diet from fresh ingredients with few or no processed foods, and make sure my life is not stressful. Because I am in my 60's I have to be especially vigilant and of course some things we cannot control - eg some life events, and some aspects of our health, but hopefully you get my meaning? Quality of the life you are living in the here and now is important...

I can understand you are worried about abdominal symptoms and I know I am whenever I experience them - but you are doing the right thing to get checked out, and hopefully there will be nothing too seriously wrong. In the meantime - banish Dr Google!!

Try to relax and stop worrying over the next few days if you can and hope all will be well. Take care :)

Hurdity x

Oh thank you Hurdity, that is very reassuring. 

I have been using the Oestrogel now for about 5 years and don't have any intention of coming off it in the foreseeable future (I am 62).  This weekend I will collect my new prescription for Vagifem and hopefully that will help my poor atrophied vagina feel better :'(

I try to lead a healthy lifestyle too, but find it very difficult to lose weight since my thyroid went wonky 9 years ago.

Mel x
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:01:17 PM by Melbury »

matildamouse

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 06:36:01 AM »

I am on oestrogen patch and vaginal progesterone continuously and have frequent period like pains especially in back area. But as I still have my uterus and my last scan showed multiple fibroids I was convinced they have all grown to rugby ball size ;-) and my lining is thick as the cramping must be when it is trying to shed it...

Had a scan last week and it actually looks better than the previous one. I am very happy about that but start to think this "period like" pain might be due to IBS...is that a possibility in your case. I find this especially when I eat a biggish meal or something with nuts. Going to keep a food diary now to see what trigger the pains as it comes and goes.

Hope you get some reassurance soon.

Melbury

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »

Just to say that I have been using Vagifem for six days now and this morning noticed that the usual bit of vaginal discharge had a brownish/pink tinge - just like you get at the end of a period. 

As I had a hysterectomy 13 years ago I am hoping this is nothing to be concerned about.  It does say on the leaflet that vaginal bleeding is a common side effect, but I don't remember having this when I used it before.

Strangely when I last had Vagifem they were 25mcg but these new ones are 10mcg - does anyone know why they have cut them down so dramatically?

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »

That's unusual Melbury? The bleeding must be coming from the vagina? Do you still have your cervix though - if so it could be that? If it is enough to consider it to be spotting I would have a check with the doc. Also without wanting to pry sometimes bedroom activities can contribute to this too?

The Vagifem single dose was reduced to only 10 mcg some while ago because of various studies carried out - and the whole mantra of using the lowest possible dose etc. However it is absurd because the studies showed that a significant percentage of women's symptoms were reduced on the lower dose (therefore it was fine to go with this dose as  the norm) - but that means the lower dose was insufficient for the rest - hence the problems encountered some women now!

Hurdity x

Melbury

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »

That's unusual Melbury? The bleeding must be coming from the vagina? Do you still have your cervix though - if so it could be that? If it is enough to consider it to be spotting I would have a check with the doc. Also without wanting to pry sometimes bedroom activities can contribute to this too?

The Vagifem single dose was reduced to only 10 mcg some while ago because of various studies carried out - and the whole mantra of using the lowest possible dose etc. However it is absurd because the studies showed that a significant percentage of women's symptoms were reduced on the lower dose (therefore it was fine to go with this dose as  the norm) - but that means the lower dose was insufficient for the rest - hence the problems encountered some women now!

Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity,

Yes I do still have a cervix, but didn't get anything like this when I was on the stronger dose years ago.  Bedroom activities have been a complete no go for the past couple of years, which is why I asked GP for help with my poor atrophied vagina :'( 

Thankfully nothing for the past 24 hours, so I am wondering if it could have been me pushing the stick up too far (if you get my meaning) or perhaps too much to one side (hopefully).

That is quite a reduction from 25 to 10 isn't it? 

mumofthree

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 01:27:39 PM »

Hi Melbury

I am 10 years post partial hysterectomy. I've had exactly the same symptoms as you on and off over the past year. I have been doubled over in pain like childbirth, or extreme period pains that last for about 10 mins. Then other times I have them on and off for a few days. I had a scan and nothing was found. I had an internal by a Gynae and apparently it's bladder pain. He was pressing on the bladder and it was exactly the same pain. He said the nerves are very different down there to the rest of the body and bladder problems are related to meno. The pain feels like it's where the womb was but it's actually the bladder. He didn't know why it was on and off but said it is linked to hormonal changes. Funnily enough, since I saw him in the summer I haven't had the pain?

I would go and get all the tests but I hope this explanation helps.

Melbury

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 08:28:35 PM »

Thank you mumofthree, it is scary isn't it.

I had a bit more of the pink/brown tinged discharge today after not having any trace of it for a couple of days.  It is only a tiny amount, but even so I do feel a bit concerned.

I don't remember this happening before when I used Vagifem :(

coldethyl

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »

Please insist that your gp sends you for a scan - it may be something or nothing but it needs checking out and not just attributed to the change x

Melbury

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »

Please insist that your gp sends you for a scan - it may be something or nothing but it needs checking out and not just attributed to the change x

I am way past the change:)

Have to go for a blood test on Friday and then doctor said she would phone me at work on Monday with result (which hopefully will be ok) so I will ask her about it then.  Trouble with getting phone calls at work is finding somewhere private to talk.

Melbury

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 08:14:22 PM »

Just to say that Dr phoned me with the results of the blood test and she says they all came back normal - so relieved!

Pages: 1 2 [3]