Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Feeling less than charitable  (Read 11955 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Feeling less than charitable
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »

I never give to the RSPCA.  They have pots of money and waste loads prosecuting people they shouldn't.

I prefer small charities that are not run as businesses, such as the major NGOs.  Do give to MFS though.

Something we agree on Breeze!!  ;D.   The RSPCA spent £24,000 trying to prosecute a neighbour of mine a few years ago.  She had three horses, one of which was elderly and couldn't keep weight on no matter how much she fed it.

RSPCA got involved and the inspector took an instant dislike to her and went for her all guns blazing. I knew she hadn't neglected that horse and the other two were fine so why would you neglect one?

They took her to court and she won as she was able to provide receipts from farrier, feed merchants and hay supplier and many neighbour's (including us) said that she was totally devoted to her horses.

That £24,000 could have been much better spent and I have never donated to RSPCA since.

Janice68

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 08:44:31 AM »

I agree with you too breeze!!
We donated to RSPCA at one point and my partner stopped it. Because too much of the donation goes on fancy offices, vans and uniforms etc.
He now donates too a much smaller  rescue where all the money is spent on the dogs they save. This is where we got our dog from they find homes for them and do not put them down at all.
Janx
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:59:53 AM by Janice68 »

babyjane

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 08:45:53 AM »

I agree, I went off the RSPCA when they refused to get involved with a neglected dog I reported because it had access to food and water  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2016, 01:28:09 PM »

Healthy dogs should be rehomed ASAP.  If I kept dogs in rows of kennels with little exercise the RSPCA would be down like a ton of bricks.   :sigh: ………. however, there are far too many dogs that will never get homes but at least these are safe in 'rescue', they have care and company. 

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2016, 04:27:26 PM »

Retailer

Percentage of sale price donated

Charity

Debenhams

100%*

BBC Children in Need (or Make a Wish in Republic of Ireland)

John Lewis

25%

Barnardo's, Hospice UK, Alzheimer's Society, WWF

Lidl

25%

CLIC Sargent

Aldi

25%

Barnardo's

Marks & Spencer

20%

Macmillan Cancer Support, Breast Cancer Now, UNICEF and Marie Keating Foundation

Debenhams

20%

BBC Children in Need (or Make a Wish in Republic of Ireland)

Waterstones

20%

BookTrust and Neuroblastoma UK

WHSmith

20%

Help the Heroes

Paperchase

17%

Wide range depending on pack purchased includes Children with Cancer UK, Terrence Higgins Trust, Alzheimer's Society and Multiple Sclerosis Trust

Clintons

15%

Rays of Sunshine Children's Charity, British Heart Foundation and Marie Curie Cancer Care

Next

15%

Macmillan Cancer Support, Barnardo's and the British Heart Foundation

Asda

10%

Children in Need

Ryman

10%

Paid by The Great British Card Company in support of the Multiple Sclerosis Trust or The National Autistic Society

Sainsbury's

10%

Royal British Legion (Poppy Scotland in Scotland) and Comic Relief

Waitrose

10%

Mind, Just Enough, RNIB, Marine Conservation Society

WHSmith

10%

RSPCA, Marie Curie and Save the Children

*Only one pack from the range donates 100%. Other packs donate 20% to the charities.

Some of the lowest donations uncovered through our investigation were supermarkets, where many shoppers find it convenient to pick up their Christmas cards.

bramble

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 12:22:51 AM »

I assume you are talking about Christmas cards? Ever think that the amount donated is equivalent to the profit? So in fact the companies are using the rest to cover manufacturing costs etc. So they will be a non profit item. If you factor in that the charity cards are taking up shelf space which could be used for profit making items, it doesn't seem so bad.

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »

The Companies selling so-called charity cards have no costs involved other than storage, it's also probably part of their 'support charity' policy.

Why not make it clearer to the Public?  Like those 'bags' that come into the letter box almost on a daily basis here …… Himself has read a lot in recent weeks and it's a real eye opener  :o

bramble

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 02:53:25 PM »

The companies you have listed are all shops etc. There is still a cost involved in designing, producing, delivering etc the cards. Each shop has their own range of card designs. Someone has to pay the costs of production etc. The cards don't magically appear on shelves.

'Some of the lowest donations uncovered through our investigation were supermarkets, where many shoppers find it convenient to pick up their Christmas cards.'

Perhaps that reflects the low profit margin supermarkets have on cards rather than the supermarkets being 'greedy'. We all know it is cheaper to buy cards in the supermarket than elsewhere.

bramble

babyjane

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2016, 02:55:53 PM »

we always get our charity cards at the charity christmas card shop in the parish church run by volunteers.  Not sure of any percentages we just like the atmosphere in there  :)

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »

This year more charity shops are selling their own.  I tend to buy in the Sales anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3]