Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Jaw tension  (Read 4729 times)

Michelle46

Jaw tension
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:46:43 PM »

Hello ladies
I've been through a lot of anxiety the last year and my jaw really aches now. Also when I lye down there is a pressure in my jaw. It's also like I can't rest my mouth in a normal position if that makes any sense. My mouth and jaw constantly aches etc. Any advice please x

Megamind

Re: Jaw tension
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »

Hi Michelle,
My husband has a lot of problems with his jaw. Do you think you could be grinding your teeth at night? Our Dentist could tell my husband does as his teeth a worn down a bit. Anxiety/stress may cause you to grind your teeth.
There is also a condition called TMJ, have a read of the symptoms and see if they sound familiar and then go to your Dentist about it.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/temporomandibular-joint-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Michelle46

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »

It doesn't click. I do think it's tmj related. I just need to relax my jaw more somehow. Thanks for the advice ladies xx

Megamind

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:40:46 PM »

A way to relax your jaw is to press your tongue against the back of your top front teeth.

Luigi

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:18:18 PM »

Hi
I get this also, sometimes my neck aches as I just can't get comfortable on a pillow, I know I tense my jaw as soon as I lie down!
Some days are better than others but some days I even have trouble biting food, very annoying :-\

Michelle46

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:44:40 PM »

Luigi it's depressing isn't it?  :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 03:20:42 AM »

I had this along with the discomfort of a clicky jaw, which made eating unpleasant. I mentioned this to my chiropractor, who with my permission, contacted my dentist, who in turn, was delighted to be contacted by a chiropractor. The dentist confirmed my jaw was out of alignment and my teeth worn down through grinding, which I was unaware of. He made a mouth guard to cover my lower teeth to wear at night. This helps my jaw to relax in alignment. I absolutely hated wearing the mouth guard at first, but persisted and it has really helped. So I suggest discussing this with your dentist. The mouth guard cost £40.

Dennylou48

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 09:46:03 AM »

Hi this is definitely a menopausal thing cos I didn't do it before.i always wake up with my jaw clenched why I don't know. And my neck has been so stiff for the last 3 months. I also bite the inside of my mouth without thinking and then realise what I'm doing. It is such a pain in the bum. How are we supposed to try and relax while sleeping..well when the night sweats allow us to sleep. Hope you find something that's for you xxx

ellie

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 01:08:37 PM »

I suffer from Bruxism.....I bet that's what you have.....look it up on Internet.....

Luigi

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »

Michelle46 it drives me mad, need a visit to dentist I think, it's got to be a peri symptom, another to add to my ever expanding list of symptoms  :-\

Michelle46

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:03 PM »

Thanks Ellie
I think I'm holding my jaw tight or funny even in the day! Got a habit now I think!