Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hashimotos auto immune disease and menopause  (Read 8368 times)

Scampi18

Hashimotos auto immune disease and menopause
« on: October 17, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »

Hi everyone

I am having the worse time of my life, 3 years ago I was diagnosed with  hashimoto disease, no explanation to what it was just take this and you should start to feel better, that's a laugh, also take hrt as well, obviously not at the same time, months went by and no change, moved house different g.p same thing again, change hrt should start to feel better soon, that was over a year ago, go back thyroid low upped the meds, should start to feel better soon, no feel worse.
I have ostioporosis in my spine arthritus in my hands, being tested for the herpes zoster virus (shingles) I have had chicken pox 9 times, I get an itchy rash feels like insects all over my body, tiredness joint swelling muscle aches shaking and the worse one what feels like stabbing in my heart, my g.p is less than useless, I have asked to be referred back to endocrinologist, and told no need your levels are fine, I beg to differ I know the symptoms and all the symptoms are there, husky voice sore swollen throat low down.
What I think I am trying to say is does anyone else have the same problems, and how are you coping.
I think the hrt is messing with the thyroid meds, but g.p won't listen! Think I'm going mad had to give my job up 3 years ago, was off sick to many times.
HELP.  :-\ :-\

babyjane

Re: Hashimotos auto immune disease and menopause
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »

Scampi18 welcome to the forum. I have a visitor arriving shortly so will return to respond to your post as I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Just wanted to welcome you and say you are not alone, not at all.

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:33:54 PM »

By coincidence this was in my inbox today, it may or may not be of interest Scampi18

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/shames/a/shameshormones.htm

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:54:35 PM »

Hi Scampi18

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Scampi18

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »

Silver lady thank you, that makes a lot of sense and is what I have been saying to my g.p, but as per normal I know nothing.  And the gyni never took any bloods just shoved me on my he highest dose of hrt evorel and testosterone, feel awful.  Thanks for the welcome everyone.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 04:54:34 PM »

I agree, I was diagnosed with autoimmune hashimoto's 27 years ago and it is hereditary through my mother's family line.  In the beginning my levels were up and down like a yo yo and were very difficult to stabilise. Lately, since 2002 it has stabilised better until recently when the brand of thyroxine I had been on for years is no longer available and my brand was changed resulting in me becoming thyrotoxic. A phone call to my endocrinologist explained about different brands having minute manufacturing differences that can affect the way it is absorbed meaning I have to be stabilised all over again. But I don't produce any of my own thyroxine now so it shouldn't be as difficult as it was in the beginning and I have a note on my medical records that I am to be prescribed the same brand every time I have a prescription filled.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »

hello stellajane, I had all the symptoms of being over medicated even though my dose had not altered, as though I was hyperthyroid. I was so wired and speeded up, my bowels were speeded up and I was talking 19 to the dozen and I rapidly lost weight. Blood tests showed my TSH had dropped below the reference range.  I needed my dose lowered and my husband said I am slowing down now and I am no longer racing to the toilet (or anywhere else).

I was on the Goldshield brand - Eltroxin - for many years but it is no longer available since Mercury Pharma took over Goldshield. They claim that their generic thyroxine is the same, the ingredients panel reads the same but my endo told me he has had many patients who went over medicated after changing to it so something has to be different in the way it is absorbed.  Another generic brand available is Actavis.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »

everyone's 'normal' is different and I feel frustrated when patients are told they are fine so long as they are within the reference range, which is from 0.35-6.00. None of us know what our 'normal' is as when we are healthy our TSH is not known. Someone, like yourself stellajane, can feel normal at 4.00 whereas I need mine to be under 3.00 otherwise my bowels go the other way (although currently at 0.18 it is far too low). 

Scampi18 you have the right to ask for a referral, your GP cannot refuse. GPs just don't know enough about it and I have learned a lot from my endo who explains everything to me very patiently.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »

:welcomemm:

could you contact the manufacturers of the various medications to explain how you feel on the different formats, i.e. by-pass Boots?

:bighug:

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »

I am very fortunate in that my local independent pharmacy stockpiles my brand for me whenever they get some in.  However earlier in the year when there was a shortage I enquired at Boots and they told me that so long as the prescription names the brand and I give 7 days notice they would always be able to get it for me on a special order.

Have a word with the pharmacist stellajane but your GP would need to name the brand on your repeat prescription. Good luck.

Scampi18 I am so sorry we seem to have completely taken over your thread and ignored your original post. I do urge you to go back to your GP and ask to be referred as it is your right. either that or change your GP to one who is understanding and helpful. Good luck to you too. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:14:25 AM by babyjane »

Scampi18

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »

Thank you everyone, you all know your own bodies and what it does and what works better for you, just like me I know my own body and my G.P just take no notice, when I go in she looks at me as if to say, good grief she here again, I have begged her to help me in pure desperation.
I am going to try once more next week.
At the moment I am very emotional, I have been on everol patches, testosterone gel for only 2 weeks, and having Merina coil fitted next week this is the 3rd lot of hrt that I have been on, no relief on any, My brand of thyroxine is actavis 50 mg and Mercury pharma 25 mg, I have been on thyroxine for 4 years and not once felt any better.
I know it takes bout 3 months to star working, I get really bad headaches, lethargy, period pains, the lot hair loss, sweating, panic anxiety loss of libido, I have had 3 ecg's and everything ok, but my chest is telling me a different thing.
I am that confused, my poor husband, some days I just don't want to be here, tried antidepressants just made me worse,

Thank you all for your replies.
😰😜

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 01:25:55 PM »

That thumping in the chest can be a muscle contracting ? I have had that in the past.  Nuisance and not painful but makes me think a bit  ::)

Do you have another surgery close by or had you thought of talking with a pharmacist?  They have Private rooms these days so your DH and you could go along for an informed chat?

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 08:20:06 PM »

:bounce: for new Member

Lizab

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 04:12:13 AM »

Hi! I have Hashi's and felt awful for years while my thyroid was still surging and stalling. I guess it'it's been about 10 years and it has finally totally quit but now I have the menopause issues to deal with. The symptoms are very similar and can be confusing. I find your shingles comment interesting, as I never would have linked to Hashi's or meno, but I have had a two bouts of shingles. I'm told it's unusual to have them so young and multiple episodes. I'm 39 now and I'm sure both times I had shingles was between 30-35 when my thyroid was somewhat unstabe still. I would think if the immune system sees fit to attack the body's own thryroid, it's reasonable that it would be likely to flare up against dormant zoster virus as well.