Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vitamin d  (Read 8078 times)

Joaniepat

Re: Vitamin d
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »

Please could I ask the ladies who are already taking a vitamin D supplement, what strength dose do you take? There seems to be conflicting advice about this. The NHS website says 10mg (400 iu), but other sites favour a lot more. The one I have just ordered (from Healthspan) has 25mg (1000 iu).

As I am fair skinned and burn easily, I use sunscreen, cover up, or cower indoors when the sun is strong. Feeling rubbish at the moment with not much energy or motivation, so I thought maybe some vitamin D might be a good thing.

CLKD, I loved the thought of you reading to the bull, really cheered me up  ;D

Many thanks,
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »

The bulls were always called 'Thomas' and were Herefords which are fairly placid on the whole.  This 1 was 9 months old and in the barn.  I vaguely remember the straw and crawling under the bars ........ I was probably there for a short while B4 being missed  ;D.  Eventually I crawled back out.

My VitD is 'fultium-D[3] 80 micrograms Vitamin D [3] - I try to remember to take it around 3.30-4.00 p.m.

jaycee

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 06:08:56 PM »

On prescription, 800iu ,one a day,

JaneinPen

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »

Hi Joaniepat. If you buy the boots 25ug (a high dose) 90 in a box and one a day this equals the amount recommended to supplement your dietary intake

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 01:21:35 PM »

:lol:    It activates a hormone response - but that's technical and I don't do technical   ;)

Joaniepat

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »

Thank you to everyone who responded regarding dosage etc, much appreciated. I guess my 25mcg ones will do. Just ordered some magnesium to go with them. It gets expensive just staying upright at my age  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »

Be aware - Magnesium can affect the bowels ;-)

Katia

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »

I heard that vitamin D is now considered a hormone and as Hurdity says the sun is too low in the UK and a lot of Nor America too for us to get enough. I know there's lots more research being done on it. I'd also came  across something about a year or two ago that said we have two types, one that's stored and one that we need on a daily basis, so the old thought that we can store it is questionable. Anyone else heard this?

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 06:34:57 PM »

It activates a hormonal response Katia - and if we are out and about in the UK often enough, we should get plenty of sun.  Born in the 1950s,I have never had problems until this year as I walked regularly, still do lots of gardening, cycled ......... but I have been inside more than 'usual' (blames Tour de France here  ;)) so my levels became low. 

Children are driven everywhere.  They don't get to play out as often as they should be due to traffic, the parents' fear of them being abducted etc.. 

The VitD pills I've been swallowing have given me belly ache within 40 mins..  So will not be taking those for 3 days to see if that's the reason.  I have altered other meds - time and how much I take - but would have thought that any effects from that would have passed by now.

Katia

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »

CLKD I hope the belly ache passes. I've had low levels of vit D since moving to the UK 7 years ago. I've supplemented summer and winter since then and that keeps them in the normal, but not high. I do a prescription one once a month and a low daily one from the health food shop. I've never had stomach problems from it.  I'm inside a lot as I work inside and it's too cold to be outside much

Patience

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 07:30:26 PM »

CLKD, I too get a bit of stomach upset from Vitamin D.  I use the drops.  I take it for a few days and then notice my stomach is feeling tight, so I stop taking it for a few days.  My levels were low-normal last time I was tested, so I'm not that worried about taking it consistently.

My mother, who is 78 and spends most of her time outside in the summer, still had low D levels when tested.  She now takes a pill every day.  As we age, we lose our ability to turn the sun's rays into vitamin d in the body or something like that.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 08:15:20 PM »

Tnx Patience.  Initially I thought the pains across the belly were imagination  ::) - I will stop the pills to see.  I've also been eating more grapes which could also account for the pains.

Katia - I know that some take a VitD monthly, a friend says that she is aware of when the next tablet is due ........

Katia

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »

CLKD, grapes are very cleansing. It may well be them not the vit d. I can't eat too many of them

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »

I'm getting to love 'em.  Those that are called 'cotton candy' are really sweet  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]