Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hi all, perimenopause, and just started HRT.  (Read 2065 times)

Bunnyp

Hi all, perimenopause, and just started HRT.
« on: November 07, 2016, 02:15:40 PM »

Hi forum friends,

I am 45 years old with reproductive organs in tact. I had my first indication something was off with my hormones when I was 35 and had to go to hospital with intense flooding during a period.

My female, supportive and very knowledgeable doctor has given me Everol 50 patches. I could not tolerate the coil. I have the two weeks on then over to the progesterone and estrogen.

My symptoms are sweating a night,terrible anxiety,mood swings, anger, periods lasting from 3 days to 18 days. Flooding, mild incontinence, being tearful.. I have not had a proper hot flush but I get overheated so so quickly. Weight gain dry skin.. I caould go on and on!

I have been on the patches now for 5 days, and have felt mildly nutty. Very sleepy, dizzy and lots of tearful feelings and a mild headache. However, no night sweating. Today I felt dreadful in the morning but as the day has progressed, I seem to have much more energy. Could be placebo but..

I am very worried about adding the progesterone, I took the P only pill when I was younger and had terrible headaches.  Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum. I hope to find out more and help out f I can.

Bunny  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi all, perimenopause, and just started HRT.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »

I think that the P Pill is different although some ladies do find that the progesterone part of any regime might upset them.

As for mild incontinence, this can be the pre-cursor to vaginal atrophy.  As the oestrogen levels drop off the body apparently dries: inside and out : hence your symptoms.  Skin, inside of ears, nostrils, vagina ……. skin thins = itchiness.  VA can be eased by appropriate localised HRT - I use Ovestin1mg.  We have several threads on the subject  ::)

Browse round.  Make notes!   :welcomemm:

Bunnyp

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 02:42:33 PM »

So far the tinker is in tact  ;D I don't have dryness, just the opposite.

I will look around, thank you so much. And I will  make notes!

-B

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:27:32 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Bunnyp
It's early days so things take time to settle.  Don't expect problems but give this HRT 3 months to see if it suits you.  There are many options and as we are all different it will be trial and error till you find the combination that suits you.  Progesterone can be a problem for some women but often progesterone with oestrogen together can be OK.
If you have had problems with heavy bleeding then a Mirena may be a good option for you (this is different to the coil) as less progesterone is absorbed around the body so gives fewer side effects and it will control and eventually stop all bleeding.  If you had the Mirena then you would simply add in oestrogen as either pills, patch or gel.
If you don't want the Mirena then there are plenty of other options.
Evorel Sequi is a medium dose HRT so could be a bit high to start with but I'd still give things time.
Do make sure your diet and exercise regime are really good - this is terribly important.
Keep us posted - I bet in a couple of weeks you'll start to feel much better.  Dg x
 DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:45:55 PM »

Hi Bunnyp

:welcomemm: from me too!

In addition to what's been said, I wondered what your cycle has been doing in the time leading up to your starting the patches? You say your periods have varied in actual length but how often do they come - and have you skipped any? ie is Day 1 of the bleed approx 4 weeks each time or less or more?

If your cycle is regular then when in your cycle have you started the patch? The idea is obviously to tie in the HRT with your own cycle so you are adding the progestogen at the same time as you will be producing your own after ovulation.

Also which P only pill did you have? Not all of them with give side effects - and some women are happy with any of them!

As Dancinggirl says - the initial side effects usually settle quite quickly and hopefully you will be feeling much better most of the time. Don't forget also if you are still having periods then your cycle still carries on in the background to some extent so your hormones will still fluctuate as they do in peri-menopause. There is an excellent article on peri-menopause on this website here if you want to take a look:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x

Burchers

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 09:31:33 PM »

Hi Bunnyp I'm on first week of the same patches as you. I'm feeling very aprehensive about it all. Hope you start to feel better.

Burchers

Bunnyp

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 10:40:38 PM »

Thanks all, so helpful.

To be honest Hurdity, my period can be completely unpredictable. 4 weeks then a period would be great, but it can be 42 days or 28 days between bleeds. They can last 5 days or 17 days. So it is a suck it and see situation.

I took the mini pill, and a combination pill but like I said, the headaches I got from them were awful. I cant have any kind of coil, I have a very odd shaped cervix and even with anaesthetic it was a no go.  So thats why I am worried about the progesterone side of the patch.

I stopped smoking about 5 months ago and I just can't drink like I would love to ( haha ) my hangovers are epic. So there is that. I do take a great Magnesium powder with tons of vitamins in it and have good but sometimes gross green smoothies.

Burchers, I did have a better day. I got lots done, Im exhausted tonight but I didn't have to summon the energy to function today. Cannot remember when that happened! Let me know how you get on too?

Youre all very kind, I am so happy I found this place.