Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Dizziness after exercise  (Read 3218 times)

Snowball

Dizziness after exercise
« on: October 31, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »

I recently joined a gym but have found that I get really dizzy after about 30-45 minutes. I tried different activities (treadmill walk, swim, aquafit) but all the same. I have seen my GP who said blood pressure was fine (at that moment) and heart sounded ok. Has anyone else experienced this?

bramble

Re: Dizziness after exercise
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »

Have you had an induction session yet at the gym. Most gyms offer one to new members when they will tailor an exercise program to suit your level of fitness.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 04:08:07 PM »

Doing too much too soon is not a good idea.  You need to start with short tailored sessions and slowly build.  Do you get out for brisk walks regularly? If you go for a brisk walk for 15-20 mins do you get dizzy?  Taking breaks with stretches and some relaxation is important.  As bramble has wisely said - having an induction session with a tailored approach is vital.  Dg x

Snowball

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »

Thanks for your replies ladies. The thing is I don't think I am really unfit and was only walking on the treadmill. I walk our dog daily for about 45 mins (although she is slowing down now and stops a lot.) I will have a word with the centre staff next time I go though.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 04:43:43 PM »

If you walk the dog gently, then anything 'more' may cause a feeling of light headedness.  Make sure that you are well hydrated and eat an hour B4 exercise.  Ask at the Gym for a personal assessment and advice!

Megamind

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »

I agree with CLKD. You should make sure you are drinking water whilst you are exercising as if you're sweating with the exercise, you can become dehydrated. You should also eat an hour or so before you exercise but obviously, something sensible. I think if your GP didn't seem overly concerned, it's obviously nothing serious. I would ask one of the staff at the gym what they advise.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »

If this particular Gym doesn't have someone who can advise, then change Gym!?!

Snowball

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 08:25:22 PM »

I too have had labyrinth problems Menomale. I did think to myself that maybe treadmill just wasn't for me. I also wondered about blood sugar drops after exertion. I always eat breakfast so I wasn't working out on an empty stomach. Having said that I do feel particularly 'hormonal' at the moment as it is a couple of months since my last bleed and I think that has an effect on BP and blood sugar.

I will make sure I drink more water and take things very gently. No problems talking to staff CLKD.

Thanks for taking the time to post.  :thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »

The other thing that can cause dizziness is if there is a nerve trapped in the back of the neck, sudden movement sometimes makes me feel giddy but I don't know which movement causes the sensation  ::)

getting_old

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 06:21:18 PM »

I do a bit of skating, including spinning, and found that initially I got very dizzy (not unexpected) but I did some reading which indicated that you can't do anything to help but eventually you get used to it and to start gradually then build up. I found the treadmill to be similar the first few times I used it, however I would say that 45 minutes is a long time so maybe starting with 10 minutes the first few times then increasing in 5 minute steps is the way to go. Also drink plenty of water and eat around an hour before exercising.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »

When spinning one focuses on one spot - a stud on the wall for example when skating - or a point in the auditorium when dancing.  It's one of the first things we were taught in Ballet. 

getting_old

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 03:24:29 PM »

When spinning one focuses on one spot - a stud on the wall for example when skating - or a point in the auditorium when dancing.  It's one of the first things we were taught in Ballet.

That isn't the case for skating because of the speed - it's just a case of getting used to it.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »

I was taught whilst skating to focus on one point when spinning and have heard Jayne Torvill teaching skaters to do so.