Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Restarting HRT and trying to take back some control!!!  (Read 2739 times)

bella mama

Restarting HRT and trying to take back some control!!!
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »

Hi ladies, I have not been on here for a while..... I stopped my HRT elleste duet 1mg a year ago to see if I could manage without it.  GP encouraged me to think about having a break from it at that time just to see if I could manage any symptoms without having it!

I started peri symptoms at 40 and I am now 45.  The hot flushes had eased at night and had 2 light periods shortly after stopping the HRT last year.  I Though yes....I will give this a try to see if I can do without HRT.  I stayed on my citalopram 20mg.

I have not had a period since 8 months until YESTERDAY and it's a proper period bleed.

Over the past year I have had various problems with back pain, sciatica, nerve pain, and past 2 months a frozen shoulder with pains in arms and neck. I am trying physio, amytripiline 10mg which just makes me sleepy .... accupunture.  My palpitations adrenaline rushes (which affects me during a flush) have been increasing past few months too so it's interesting now that my period has arrived ....I am easily irritated by my poor hubby!  Feeling tired of all the body aches like a 95 year old and hormOnal once more.

Interesting I have Subclinical hypothyroidism range below 10 ..noted by my doctor 4 months ago but they not wanting to treat it as said that would not cause me a problem. I do have bags under my eyes that have appeared! But maybe that is part of getting older🙃

So this morning I thought I have to take back control and searched for that HRT packet I had kept. I have shoved that HRT pill down my mouth with a vengeance! I have a 3 weeks wait to see my doctor. Though I would just start the HRT 1mg without seeing her first just to see if I feeling better on it by then.  My health risks have not changed since last time I took my HRT. 

Should I be better on HRT anyway as I am only 45??🙄🙄🙄🙄

Dancinggirl

Re: Restarting HRT and trying to take back some control!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:52:32 AM »

Get back on that HRT - you are far too young to be oestrogen deficient  - you shouldn't stop HRT until your early 50s at the earliest.  I'm afraid it was rather negligent of the GP to suggest stopping really as you need the oestrogen until at least 52-54 to protect your heart and bones. The risk factors of HRT only kick in at 60.  You may now be deeper into meno so you may find you need a slightly higher dose but it's good to start on the low dose and see how you get on.  Hope you get your life back soon.  Sometimes HRT can effect thyroid so you might need to have this checked in a few months - thryoidism isn't a reason for not having HRt though. 
The HRt may well help your joints - lack of oestrogen plays havoc with the cartilage and joints.  Perhaps wean yourself off the amytrip. (talk to then GP about this) - if it makes you sleepy that's no good and you are already taking the Citalopram - having both seems a bit too much AD/SRRIs .  Dg x

bella mama

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »

Thank you Dancing Girl for messaging.

The GP I saw at that time said  HRT wasn't really needed if I can cope with symptoms. That GP is no longer there now and I have a younger lady doctor who seems to be more in favour of HRT. I hope I have done the right thing going back onto the HRT without consulting them.  It is my body after all.  👀

Yes I have got the elleste duet 1mg and I did wonder if would that be suitable now or if I would need a stronger dose.  I did take 1mg for nearly 3 years and I was ok on it apart from a bit of fluid retention and some pmt type symptoms. 

I have been a bit cautious with the citalopram and amyltriptiline together and have been aware this might be just too much for my body!! I didn't want to stop my citalopram as it helped so quickly with my heart palpitations with flushing and anxiety that started when I was 40.  I take citalopram in the morning and then amyltrip at night.   Only been on the amyltrip for a 10 nights.  I don't think they are making much difference to my nerve pains to be honest. I think my pains are caused by lack  of oestrogen.

I am so glad I posted on here today for reassurance I have made the right decision to go back onto HRT as I have been fighting against the hormonal changes over the past year again and my body just aches so much.

Also should I be offered a bone density scan? A few older relatives have been telling me I should be getting one??

:'(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 03:42:13 PM »

If you have osteoporosis in the family and as you have had a premature meno then a DEXA scan would be a good idea.
You might like to try a different HRT type if you suffered some PMT on Elleste - why no ask for Femoston 1/10 when you see your GP - Femoston has kinder progesterone which often suits women better. DG x

bella mama

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 03:47:26 PM »

Thanks dancing girl I will ask about femoston if the elleste duet is giving me those pmt symptoms when I see the GP.  I don't think there is a strong family history of osteo. 

Is it easy to change over if I have started the elleste already?

Thank you for advice much appreciated. So glad this site is here

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 04:21:40 PM »

You should be able to finish the current month of Elleste and simply start the new type of HRT.  Hope you feel better soon. Good luck  Dg x