Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Tea shops to visit  (Read 5792 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Tea shops to visit
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:46:44 PM »

I don't have any monetary connection to the following but they do a good toasted tea-cake and cuppa

Next door to the Antique Centre in Ely, Cambs - [Peacocks]

Cycle shop in Stony Stratford - a good brisk walk by the river and canal, back through the charity shops in town and stop by at 25C

One in Stamford - we use it every time we visit the town and I can never remember the name  :-\ - [Goochs]

Bartletts - near the pelican crossing in Buckingham

Bettys - Yorkshire

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:42:41 PM by CLKD »

Pennyfarthing

Re: Tea shops to visit
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:00:13 PM »

The only tea shop I've ever visited and not felt ripped off was in Shrewsbury. Daughter and I had afternoon tea ...... pot of tea, sandwiches with any filling we liked and on any bread we liked, crisps and about 3 cakes each and I believe it cost us about £8 for the two of us. It was a bakery with tea room upstairs and everything was really nice and made to order.

As we live in an area popular with holidaymakers all the tea shops round here are very expensive and some are charging  about £20 a head for afternoon tea. I would never pay that.

Just checked and it was Reeve the Baker in Shrewsbury. We had a three tier plate with everything on and the tea was fresh and very good.  It's not posh or tarted up with twee flowers and Cath Kidston bunting but I don't care about that .... I just like freshly made sandwiches and good tea and the cakes were a bonus. We got jam tart each, chocolate cake and another cake.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:17:22 PM by Pennyfarthing »

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »

Crikey - £20.00 is cheap for afternoon tea  :D …….. when we sat down about 2 years ago: plate of sandwiches, crusts off, cut in triangles with various fillings; followed by a 3-tier plate of cakes and fancies followed by scones with cream  :o and anything we didn't eat, we were given a doggy bag.  Tea and coffee individually served - as much as we wanted.  Wine for those who drink. 

The place has to have a good loo too! 

Megamind

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »

I agree about Bettys although it's a tad expensive!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:21:50 PM »

I agree about Bettys although it's a tad expensive!

We were in Harrogate last winter and it was pouring with rain and mad people were queuing down the road to get into Betty's tearoom.  I'm sorry but tea is tea and I wouldn't queue up to get in. We went up the road and found a little cafe and were quite happy with our tea and scones.

We have a teashop up here in Norfolk and people queue to get in there. People like to pose by sitting outside on rickety metal chairs on a very narrow pavement just to say they've been there. They seem not to care that they are level with and only about two feet away from car exhausts belching out fumes.

cubagirl

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 10:25:58 PM »

Well I'm off to afternoon tea this weekend, posh hotel, for future DIL's home henny. £15 pp plus prosecco!  :) Supposed to be very nice. Been to two in town & they were quite good. They made me the best ever soya hot chocolate!

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »

What's a home henny?

Taz x

cubagirl

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:10:30 AM »

;D Very different nowadays Taz. 4 weeks ago bride, bridesmaids & our daughter went to London for a long weekend of dining, culture & copious amounts of gin! This weekend is for her close friends, her mum & myself. 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:47:48 PM »

Hen party  :D

Not something we even considered.  I was thinking about where else we have enjoyed a cuppa and tea-cake as I was dropping off to sleep last night  ::)  8) ……….

There was a Hotel in Boston, Lincs earlier this year, Mum thought it was the 'poshest place I have ever been in' ………  ::)

linz57

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 09:28:12 PM »

The Riverside Tea Rooms in Ironbridge Shropshire is a place I often visit just for an hours relax on an afternoon. It's not far from where I live and a lot of the tourists and day trippers don't find it . *evil cackle*😄
You get proper loose leaf tea in an old style teapot and its topped off with a knitted tea cosy.... Love it.
There's a small indoor, vintage style seating area but no matter what the weather I end up taking my cuppa outside onto  the riverside terrace.
A lot of the tea rooms these days seem to be full of cupcakes, they're not my thing though, I prefer a good old scone😄

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 06:40:04 AM »

;D Very different nowadays Taz. 4 weeks ago bride, bridesmaids & our daughter went to London for a long weekend of dining, culture & copious amounts of gin! This weekend is for her close friends, her mum & myself.

Thanks CG!

Taz x

cubagirl

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »

There are a few nice ones up our way, according to my future DIL. She gives them all marks out of 10. She even has a notebook of tea shops.  ::)