Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: St John's Wort  (Read 6546 times)

Julie1963

St John's Wort
« on: June 03, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »

Hi Everyone

I've been advised to come off HRT for health reasons but the night time hot sweats are keeping me awake. I've been advised to look at St John's Wort. It's an herbal alternative for mild depression but I'm not suffering from depression. Has anybody had any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stella1

Re: St John's Wort
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »

I came off anti depressants & I was getting low mood - weepy & irritable, but no panic attacks so decided to stay off the ADs & try St John's Wort. It has helped - especially with the irritability, but I don't think it would have any effect on hot sweats. A herbal remedy like Menopace or similar may help. By the way I checked with my pharmacist before starting St John's Wort as it interacts with so many other drugs. He added a note to my medical records to red flag it if I was prescribed something that would be affected by it.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »

I used SJW successfully for about 5 years.  It was great for keeping my moods on an even keel but it didn't do anything for hot flushes.  You do have to be careful because it will interact with some prescription drugs so you need to check with your pharmacist or GP.

Beester

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 08:04:53 PM »

It's a major no-no for epileptics!

BusyLel

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »

Can SJW be taken with Menopace??
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:25:32 PM by BusyLel »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 06:18:13 PM »

Menopace is only a broad spectrum multivitamin so SJW can be taken with this.  Don't expect the Menopace to reduce flushes - I've often taken Menopace for months at a time just to boost my vitamin and minerals - the only thing that reduces flushes is HRT. Dg x

Kris

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »

Hi
Try getting some natural hormone cream. I recently tried serenity well-being cream it's quite good. But my symptoms returned in the break (6 day break is suggested). Which drove me mad.

I was then put on patches which seem to be helping my symptoms, but I am now getting really bad migraines attacks. So I'm thinking serenity is the way to go!

What sort of symptoms are you getting mine is vaginal astrophy. Very annoying!!!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »

Julie1963 - what health issues do you have that mean you should come off HRT?  St John's wort can help with mild depression and irritability and some find it can help with sleep but it won't reduce flushes.
Strategies for coping with night time flushes and sweats are probably your best option if you can't have HRT.  A light duvet in either feather or there is a new duvet sold by John Lewis that is supposed to help regulate body temperature.  Cotton sheets, a cool bedroom, Cotton nightdress ( no pyjamas) etc. can be helpful.
Getting enough good quality sleep is my main meno symptom and not just because of night sweats, I simply sleep really badly these days.  DG x