Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Spending Time In Nature  (Read 5734 times)

Machair

Spending Time In Nature
« on: October 17, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »

I find that being in nature helps so much with peri symptoms. In face the opposite increases them. We have a John Lewis in our city, and being new it is enticing many to visit. I went and I did enjoy looking round, but it is not a therapy for me to shop. I find a dog walk or a coastal stroll calms me more than any crowded place. Even just sitting by the river or in the garden makes things feel so much less mad. Just lately I have had some form of PMT- not sure if it will result in a period or not, but the relief from that I have from just being in nature is quite amazing. Just thought I would share as it is quite incredible the difference and you only need an hour to see results.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Spending Time In Nature
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:24:34 PM »

:thankyou:

I spend hours by our ponds.  Sitting.  Watching.  Or pottering around the garden.  We have lots of good walks within an hour's drive so when possible get out and about.  The wild birds keep me busy too, my kitchen sink over-looks the feeders  ;)

Janice68

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 02:07:24 PM »

I agree Machair, i love going out for walks in nature even when I'm not in a good place I now make the effort and go for a walk it makes me feel better wholesome fresh air the birds twittering etc
Janx

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »

Machair, I couldn't agree more!

I live a stones throw from the edge of the Thames and walk alongside it regularly. Even if I've had a bad run with the dreaded migs, I'll hobble along and just sit on a bench. Free therapy!

My favourite though is a coastal path walk alongside a raging sea, it's the best feeling in the world! x

Justjules

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 07:17:37 PM »

Do you think we appreciate nature so much more the older we get? I know I do. I love trees so much, they make me happy just looking at them for some reason. When I'm stressed and just want to switch off, I long for just somewhere with a wonderful view and preferably a wide open space. My therapist often says that at weekends she just heads somewhere 'high' because she needs to see the expanse of the sky and views. This time of year is so beautiful. X

Elizabethrose

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »

I think you may be right JJ, as we age we better see what's around us and appreciate things more. I adore trees and couldn't live in a land without them. I love this green land of ours!

I'm definitely a city girl though and could never not have a city home, but I am surrounded by beautiful parks and the river and really make the most of them. My favourite escape though is to the ocean, for me the whiter and wilder the water the better! I am totally at peace by the sea.

I think we are surrounded by free therapy and sometimes we just need to open our eyes to see it! A good walk clears the mind and mends the soul!! xx

linz57

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »

I live very close to the banks of the River Severn and I find the older I get, the more time I spend walking along the riverbank, just drinking in the sights and sounds of nature. It has a calming effect and although I do still enjoy a day here or there in a city, I prefer the lush countryside, away from crowds and noise.
Throw in a cuppa and a toasted teacake in a riverside tearoom at the end of my walk and I return home in a calm and rested frame of mind.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 06:17:30 AM »

I'll say!

Machair

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »

Ladies we are all kindred spirits on here it is so amazing and I am so grateful to you all. :)

Riverside walks and canal tea rooms- perfect- we have one very nearby and I am probably their best customer!

I have always loved wild places and the remote locations few visit really appeal too- probably why I love The Outer Hebrides, but you can't always escape and a few minutes in a green space really helps me.

Janice68

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 10:22:06 AM »

We live near a canal just across the road from us. I walk along there frequently it clears my head walking. It's funny your rite Sparkle how you appreciate the simple things in life as you get older that's me to a tea.
Janx

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 06:42:32 PM »

I did a course with a life coach, who recommended walking and connecting with nature to be part of everyone's self care programme. I always feel better walking in places where I feel peace. You can get connect into that peace, even you are unable to go on a favourite walk, perhaps because of illness, weather etc. You can visualise the walk.

I'm fortunate to live in a place where you can walk in any direction, but I also enjoy walking in places like London, particularly in backstreets and looking up at architecture and history.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »

There's a good tea shop next door to the Antique Centre in Ely ;-).  I feel a list starting  ;D

I hung out the laundry this morning and was pleased, a) that it has been a stunning Autumnal sunny day and b) that I was well enough to notice

linz57

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 07:46:55 PM »

Hasn't this Autumn been lovely so far? Just to be able to see the glorious tree colours in the sunshine makes me feel uplifted. I appreciate the beauty in all the seasons these days whereas years ago I just wanted wall to wall heat and sunshine to get a golden tan in🙄
Oh yes, tea and a toasted tea cake or a fruit scone and butter...*drools*. Something tells me all my weight gain can't be blamed on my hrt hahaha!

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 07:44:54 PM »

I haven't read most of this thread except the first and last post but the title caught my eye! Absolutely Machair - all the way. It is so good for the soul whatever your age and stage. I'm lucky to have lived in a rural area and within 20 mins of the sea most of my adult life - but even if you live in an urban environment there are always parks. Also my daughter (who lives in London and is very busy all the time) recently got a train out to somewhere rural (South Downs maybe) and went for fantastic walk with her partner which also involved lunching in nice pub en route - so easily done wherever you live I think. Even living here - if I want a change I head straight for the coast, and walk on some wild dramatic cliffs.

Nothing like it especially as you say linz57, in the autumn when the colours are so beautiful :)

Hurdity x