Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Greasy Hair  (Read 13848 times)

elsie001

Greasy Hair
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »

I swear my hair is more greasy now than it was when I was a teenager!

I'm 50 and every part of me is drying up except my hair!

Am I destined to daily hair-washing for the rest of my life, or will it become more dry eventually?

Am wondering if the progesterone in the mirena coil might be contributing to the problem?

cubagirl

Re: Greasy Hair
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »

Mine is less greasy nowadays, for which I'm thankful.

elsie001

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »

Thanks Cubagirl.  Sorry to be cheeky but can I ask how old you are?  Would love to know when my barnet will dry out a tad!

Scampi

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:28:36 PM »

Don't be tempted by shampoos for greasy hair, especially when you are washing it frequently - they contain some pretty harsh detergents and actually encourage the production of sebum (the 'grease').

I have always had greasy hair, but as I also have scalp psoriasis I simply can't wash it every day (if I do, the psoriatic patches get really sore and crack).  I use hydrating shampoos that are gentle on my scalp, but seem light on my hair (the Garnier one with oat milk is my current favourite), and find I can go longer between washes as my scalp isn't irritated and therefore stimulated to produce more sebum.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 03:46:50 PM »

When in College we had a Tutor who told us that leaving the hair for more days than was 'usual' between washes encouraged the sebum to even itself out.  By washing regularly it stimulates the scalp to produce more oil; apparently  ::).  I can't stand the itchy, sore scalp though - so tend to use different shampoos every time which is about 4-5 days - over the bath with luke warm water in a bowl and gentle massage.  I rarely use conditioner, what's the point? I'm going to rinse it anyway !

cubagirl

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »

I'm 60 Elsie. As a teenager my mum used to buy me a really expensive shampoo for greasy hair called Reban. It worked quite well, but I couldn't afford to buy & switched to shampoo for normal hair, less harsh & I've not looked back. I still wash daily, mainly because after a nights sleep I have various horns!  ;D ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »

I use Johnsons Baby Shampoo as well as what ever I fancy on the shelf - and can't wait to use it when I get home  ::)

elsie001

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 06:26:58 PM »

Thanks for your replies everyone.  At the moment I use Liz Earle shampoo and conditioner - I switched to those thinking that as the ingredients are more natural, it might not encourage the grease so much, but no better than with bog-standard shampoos.

I wash my hair every 2nd day but usually end up putting dry shampoo on my hair on the non-washing day as it looks too much of a state without it!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »

I didn't know that dry shampoo was still available, it was the 1970s that I used it when camping.

Maybe treat yourself to a 'good' cut with a shampoo and blow dry?