Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: vitamin D  (Read 4586 times)

babyjane

vitamin D
« on: September 05, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »

At the beginning of the year my vitamin D levels were low and I was advised to take a supplement.  I did not get on with the level of supplement I was advised to take so I took half the recommended dose and not every day.

this summer I have not used my SPF and long sleeved shirt every time I went outside and probably averaged about 10 minutes three times a day of sun exposure to my face and arms, that's all, no shorts or crop tops.

In february my level was 37 and now it is 60.

Clearly it does not take a lot of sunshine to increase the levels and I have been advised now to take a moderate supplement during the winter months to maintain the levels.

I really don't think high doses of 3,000iu or more are necessary and not always advisable unless you are totally housebound or dark skinned.

Belladonna

Re: vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:02:21 PM »

The thing is that oral vitamin d is much less well absorbed than sunlight. And unless you live far south the only months to get vitamin d at all are June-August. That's why the supplements are strong. I know people who have been on that dose in the winter and still been to low when tested.

Personally I start supplementing in September and stop in May.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 12:15:15 PM »

Morning >wave<

I get into our garden as early as Feb., cutting back, tying in etc.; and as often as there is a break in the rain ever after.  My skin goes brown by mid-March, I can't sit in intense heat as it makes me ill but we walk a lot: not necessarily a fixed into the hills trek: as well as gardening, sports, garden centres ……. little and often.

I use a sun screen when it's really hot or windy if I know I'm going to be exposed.  Other than that, I haven't used it for a few years.

How does one know if 1 is VitD deficient  :-\ - symptoms?

bramble

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:22:32 PM »

When I had my bloods done a few weeks ago, my vit d level was 'undetectable'. Am now on a huge dose for 7 weeks. Then need another blood test. Not many symptoms CLKD - I think tiredness is one but who doesn't have that?

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »

Thanks.  I keep thinking that I feel tired but really I'm not dropping off in the afternoons as I have done, I think tiredness for me is probably not enough exercise  ::) [apparently Himself can help  :P ]

Justjules

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 03:37:41 PM »

Saw that today Sparkle - good news.

Mine was extremely low, had the mega dose, don't feel the slightest bit different and when I asked new GP for a re-test as suggested by my lovely GP who has now left, she said no need so I don't know if my levels are back up or not!  I'm supposed to be taking some tablets every day now but haven't bothered to get them yet - must do  ::) x

Justjules

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 07:03:46 PM »

My thoughts exactly Sparkle. I am seriously thinking about changing surgeries actually. Apart from one new GP, I don't like any of the others. A couple of the other good GPs left a couple of years ago to set their own practice up and a lot of their regular patients followed them so I might try there. I'm just worried that new GPs might start messing with my meds and not be happy to keep prescribing etc. x

bramble

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 07:30:23 PM »

After 7 weeks on my mega dose I have to go back for a calcium blood test and then go on to normal dose vit d after that.

B