Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anxiety, HRT and ADs  (Read 1268 times)

bramble

Anxiety, HRT and ADs
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:52:57 PM »

In my early fifties I started the menopause and was immediately hit with crippling anxiety (never suffered before). I was put on an AD and HRT. Took HRT for about 5 years until my doc asked me to stop. I still functioned. Over the last 3 years the anxiety has been building up again. In the last 18 months I have tapered off the AD and have been clear for 4 months now. Again on advice from a doctor. Needless to say the anxiety has returned big time and hot flushes. I am not functioning. At all!

So - a rock and a hard place. Do I go back on, at 63, to another anxiety medication or do I try HRT again (if I can get it)(and yes I know all the pros and cons).

Opinions and thoughts please?
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety, HRT and ADs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:55:16 PM »

Did the regime help your symptoms?  What is the worst symptom now?

No reason why you shouldn't return to HRT.  After all, other chronic medications aren't stopped are they  ::)

I couldn't function without my ADs and Beta-blocka, nor would I give up without a fight the VA treatment.  Quality of Life is important to me.

pinkdove

Re: Anxiety, HRT and ADs
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:10:40 PM »

Hi Bramble, I can so relate to your post, I have suffered crippling anxiety and depression for about 6 years, and after many AD's my Gp suggested i try Hrt for the first time, I started femeven conti last Friday, which i feel has helped a bit early days tho' ( I am 62 by the way) i am also coming off my AD's which as you will know is a challenge.

I personally don't really want to be on both, weight has been a big issue with me, on AD's put on a lot, so for that reason, i want off them

Maybe try to think of what made you feel the best, and make a decision based on that, but i see no reason why you would not get HRT prescribed, if that's the way you want to go

Good luck , hope you feel better soon  :)