Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Reasurrance Needed Please  (Read 1397 times)

toffeecushion

Reasurrance Needed Please
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »

I've got to have a hysteroscopy and biopsy with a local anaesthetic and I am so scared it will hurt or something will go wrong.  I had one a couple of years ago and I don't remember it being too painful but they couldn't remove a polyp because apparently I wasn't letting go lol (I think she meant I was too tense).  Anyway I have recently had a vaginal scan and they couldn't find the polyp so want to have a better look inside.

Anyone got a positive experience to put my mind at rest?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:55:30 PM by toffeecushion »

Elizabethrose

Re: Reasurrance Needed Please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 05:16:18 PM »

Hi toffeecushion

I'm really sorry you're worried, most women are apprehensive about this sort of stuff! If you've had one done before though and found it ok, then it probably means all will be fine for you this time, especially as they are giving you a local anaesthetic.

To be honest every woman could probably tell you a different tale re this procedure. I've read on here that some women didn't even feel it and can't understand why some women make a fuss, others find it more difficult. I had one done without anaesthetic but they couldn't get through my cervix due to heavy scarring. When that was obvious they stopped trying and then I had to return and have it done with a GA. A close friend had hers done a couple of days before me and she was in and out in 15 mins. We are all totally different.

Whilst the whole shebang of having our lady bits prodded and exposed is something we'd all like to avoid, think how reassured you'll be when it's done and dusted and you know all is well!

Good luck, I hope all goes well for you and don't forget, if at any time you can't cope with it, tell them to stop: they will!

Claireylou

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:42:47 PM »

Hi there Toffeecushion,

I've had both these procedures and I found them no more uncomfortable than a smear. I took some ibuprofen an hour before my appointment and maybe that helped, I know other women who've done the same say it helped them. The local anaesthetic was a little bit stingy for a split second, for me this was the worst bit. Easy to say but it really does help if you try to relax as much as possible. I did lots of deep breathing and put myself in my "happy place" during the procedure.

I'm sure you'll be fine. The thought of these tests is usually far worse than the event itself.

Afterwards I was a tiny bit crampy but nothing that some paracetamol, hot water bottle and a cuppa didn't sort. Little bit of spotting for a day or two and I was back to normal.

I hope that this helps, I'm sure you'll be fine xxx

linz57

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »

If you are really scared is there any chance your doctor could prescribe you something to calm you for the procedure? I know some will prescribe for people who are scared of flying , so maybe he/she will help? O
I took a diazepam before a biopsy in the office a couple of years ago and it helped as I wasn't tense down below