Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ahoy Sock Knitters!!!  (Read 8179 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Ahoy Sock Knitters!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »

Dahliagirl I have been trying to teach myself to crotchet granny squares for about three years as i wanted to make a blanket I have a book with granny square instructions and have looked at youtube videos and online and I still cant crotchet a granny square! Any tips ! Surely it cant be this difficult?or is it ? 😏

Just jumping in here!  Where are you going wrong?  as long as each edge is symmetrical you should be OK. 

I have made several big crochet throws from granny squares and if I knew how to post pics on here I would so so. 

walking the dog

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 08:23:03 PM »

I cant form the circle at the very start when you make your chain and join in fine and I can join it but then I get in a right muddle when you put the hook through the middle all I gets a tangled knot ! I just think I'm not cut out to crotchet though I can do normal squares just not granny ones 😐

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »

I cant form the circle at the very start when you make your chain and join in fine and I can join it but then I get in a right muddle when you put the hook through the middle all I gets a tangled knot ! I just think I'm not cut out to crotchet though I can do normal squares just not granny ones 😐

That's a common problem. I would make the circle as loose as you can so you can see a definite hole. You could even poke something in that hole to ensure you get all trebles in that one hole and remove when you've done them.

walking the dog

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 06:55:26 AM »

Thanks pennyfarthing for the tip I will give it another go as I have so much crotchet wool ! Glad it wasn't just me these granny squares will not beat me 😊

dahliagirl

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »

I am not good at crochet.  I learned mostly from the Ladybird book of crochet when I was young, but that is now lost!

My beautiful flower squares, when I came to put them together, had varying side lengths.  I have no idea how that happened.  I get confused as to where the hook goes - sometimes it goes into the row of 'chain' that appears on the top of the previous row of stitches and sometimes it goes between trebles and such like, and the patterns/learning books seem to skip over things like that and leave you to work it out.  I managed to bodge it and it looks fine from a distance.  8)

Anyway, my tension is all over the place, so I am now crocheting a blanket in rows of half-trebles which change colour every row and hoping that this will help me to get neater. The instructions on how to change colour are good, but you still have to sew the ends in!!

walking the dog

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 02:57:52 PM »

Thank you both I will have another granny square go and if I cant conquer it then do the plain squares in not bothered if there even it all adds character . It looks so easy but it isn't 😏
Pages: 1 [2]