Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello, Newbie Needing Advice Please  (Read 2869 times)

WiggyMaggy

Hello, Newbie Needing Advice Please
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »

Hi,

I'm 46 (47 next month) and haven't had a period since last October.

A bit of background about me: I was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2006 and had six months of chemo. I also have Barrett's Oesophagus which is a pre-cancerous condition for which I need to take PPI's for life. My Mum went through the menopause in her 40s so I was prepared for it at this stage in my life.
I had about 3 years of horrendous flooding (thank goodness for tranexamic acid!) and then sporadic periods (about 4 a year) until last October.

I work full time in a pharmacy so I'm on my feet all day and walk about 4 miles a day (according to my FitBit). During the last couple of weeks I've had really bad aching muscles in my upper arms, calves and just below my bottom. I'm also only getting 2-4 hours sleep a night due to flushes and general restlessness. I'm also ravenous constantly and am piling on loads of weight.

I went to the doctors last week to get my thyroid tested and all my bloods came back as normal, including FBC.
I'm feeling like a zombie at the minute and was wondering about two courses of action.
1) Sage leaf tablets - what strength is recommended though?
2) Gabapentin - controversial?

I've always maintained that I wouldn't take HRT when the time came and I definitely don't want to start bleeding again.
I've got a few other stresses going on at the minute too - I'm going to learn to drive and I'm in the middle of moving house.
I got engaged last September and I think he's wondering what he's gotten himself into!

I'm hoping to get an appointment tomorrow to see the nurse prescriber at my surgery as I've got no chance of seeing a GP for the foreseeable. Was just hoping someone on here may be able to help me to know which direction to steer in?!

Thanks  :)

Dorothy

Re: Hello, Newbie Needing Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »

Hello & welcome.  Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time at the moment.

There are sticky threads on coping with sleep problems, hot flushes etc, so it might be worth checking them out for ideas if you can't take HRT.

I've found cutting right back on caffeine and spicy food helps with the hot flushes and Epsom Salt Baths help with the aches and pains, but I'm taking BCP for early meno, so can't say how bad I would be without that.  I'm sure some more knowledgeable ladies will be along soon to advise you though.

Congratulations on your engagement btw - there is a section on advice for partners which might be worth showing your fiancé at some point!

Spazziepants

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »

Hi and welcome  :)

Sorry you are going through so much and lots to deal with at the moment so hopefully I can help with the thyroid query.

Do you know what your TSH result was for thyroid blood tests? The reason I ask is that the results that are classed as the normal range are taken from the averages of all that have had blood tests taken at the hospital. This means if you are at the lower end of the average range then this may mean that for you, as an individual, the TSH may be too low, but taken as an average of all people the doctor classes you in the normal range. This leaves you with still not enough thyroid in your system for you and your body.

They should also test your T3 and T4 for thyroid function tests but they don't do that routinely in the NHS. I ended up having to have my T3 and T4 tested privately to then take to the hospital to show the consultant that my T4 was very low even though my TSH came back as in the lower end of normal. Finally I got prescribed thyroxine and feel so much better. If you have a search on the Internet for the TPA (thyroid patient advisory I think that stands for) there will be some helpful symptom checkers and what to ask for when you see your GP on consultant.

Your symptoms sound very much like what I had but then I went on the be diagnosed with fibromyalgia and then premature menopause. On further investigation of all these conditions it's found that many are all interlinked.

Good luck on getting some answers and hope everything comes together easily with the house move etc :-)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »

Spazziepants - that crossed my mind too, so often thyroid function comes back 'within normal limits' but the patient still requires treatment!!!

:welcomemm: WiggyMaggy

There are lots of types of HRT which can really improve a quality of life.  Some ladies find that alternatives help until their hormones start partying  ::) so by browsing round here, making notes, you will be informed well enough should you change your mind.  Remember too that nothing lasts for ever so if you can get a few 'good' years …….

WiggyMaggy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »

Thank you all very much for the welcomes and advice.

This forum really is a font of knowledge and I've been absorbed reading all the posts for the last few days. It's also good to be amongst other ladies who can empathise. I recently told a work colleague that I was menopausal and she said that she didn't believe in the menopause! Speechless.

Hopefully, I can get to see somebody at my surgery tomorrow and we'll see what they suggest.

Thanks again.

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:43:35 PM »

I recently told a work colleague that I was menopausal and she said that she didn't believe in the menopause! Speechless.

:o :o :o 

Her time will come...

WiggyMaggy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:12 PM »

I couldn't get an appointment until September 5th so have taken the plunge and ordered 3 months supply of Vitabiotics Ultra Sage to see if it helps with the flushes. We've been to the cinema tonight and I had 3 during the film  :(

WiggyMaggy

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »

So I saw my practice nurse tonight and we've agreed to follow a natural route to manage my symptoms for the next couple of months and see how I go on. She was very supportive and having experienced it herself was able to recommend a good book to read.

I'd already bought some magnesium tablets today so have just taken one (rather than the recommended two) to see if they help with my muscles aches.

All in all, I'm feeling a lot more positive about everything :)

anna1966

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 10:10:21 PM »

I'm no where near as knowledgeable as some of the people on here but I tried safe leaf tablets from January to beginning of July and they worked brilliantly - only reason I stopped was they stopped working. 

They were recommended to be a another menopausal lady who'd been recommended them herself by others, they didn't work for her but it worked for me for just over 6 months. I think they were 285g from Holland and Barrat

Anna

WiggyMaggy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 04:48:13 PM »

Thanks Anna :)

I'm taking 1000mg of sage from the Vitabiotics Ultra range and they've stopped my flushes - I've been bowled over by how effective they've been!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 04:59:16 PM »

However: be aware that if your own hormones begin to rise and fall, the benefits of Sage may well drop off ;-).