Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: NHS  (Read 3405 times)

robotwars

NHS
« on: August 21, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »

Why is it s hard to get answers out of the NHS, my mother has a prolapse and we have been trying for months to get something done and they keep saying they are waiting for the anaesthetist, as she needs to have her womb stitched back up and has servere COPD, then 2 weeks ago she has a fall and has now broken both her wrists, I asked the hospital if they could look into her womb while she is there and the consultant is on holiday so she cant have it done till the end of October!  So I asked if she could be moved back to the care home, which is closer to my house as I'm spending £6.00 a day on parking and I'm told they are still working on the care package, surely there is a shortage of hospital beds and she would be better in the care home, oh well tomorrow I'm going to the care home to speak to the lady in charge, fingers crossed I get a positive result, could really do with one at the moment as I'm still off HRT and now I'm waiting for a hospital appointment to get something sorted, now have an appointment at the end of September, I also came on 8 days ago for the first time in 3months and now it doesn't seem to want to stop..... Aaghhhhh... also have a dog with gastroenteritis.. I'm hoping next week is a better week................................. sorry for the moan..............  as they say in the song "things can only get better"

Taz2

Re: NHS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:16:08 PM »

So sorry to hear all that you are going through but just want to comment that if your mother is an "in" patient in hospital then you should be able to either get reimbursed for car parking charges or at least get a cheaper fee. When I was visiting my mum and dad for a month I got a special permit. Saved a fortune.

With your  mum it is difficult to stitch a womb back up. If it has prolapsed then hysterectomy is the only way to go. Has she tried the pessaries?

Taz x

robotwars

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 07:08:37 PM »

I asked at the hospital and they said that you have to pay for parking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She has had 3 of those rings put in before she broke her arms and they all fell out in the time it took to drive home!!! A month ago the consultant said he would speak to antitheist and see what the options were, we are still waiting, the womb is half out!! if you know what I mean so she cant get pessaries in!!! but with the arms as well now.... its a nightmare!!! The joke is the bed they have found her is on the gyni  ward for her arms............

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »

I was given those rings for my prolapse and as soon as I lifted anything they popped out, I ended up with a hysterectomy, I was 23 when I developed it and 32 when I decided I'd had all my babies

Annie x

robotwars

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »

Hi Annie
Can I just ask how you were after you had it removed? My mother is 76 and has severe COPD and is on oxygen, so quite concerned....

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:15:47 PM »

I had a hysterectomy for womb prolapse too robotwars. There was a lady having the same op at the age of 82 but I don't think she had the breathing problems your mum experiences with COPD. Another lady has a total hysterectomy under local anaesthetic because she had a heart condition and she was amazed at how easy it was. She was in her sixties though so not quite as old as your mum. I would suggest that you research this yourself to find out what the options are?

I'm surprised that the hospital doesn't give special parking fees for those visiting in-patients for a length of time.

Taz x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 09:59:10 AM »

Usually with prolapse they can do a vaginal hysterectomy , my neighbour had exactly this when she was in her late 70's and she was out of hospital the next day :o and was walking around a few days later much to my amazement. Obviously she did not have your mothers copd but vaginal hysterectomy is a million times easier than abdominal ones.

I also assume your mother has a medical social worker, have you spoken to her about the hospital/care home situation. Some of them are brilliant and some not as I found out with my mother in law.

Sadly alot of hospitals are now only giving parking permits to people on certain means tested benefits >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »

That's awful Countrybumpkin ……….. our Hospitals charge because it stops locals parking and walking into town [2 miles] to work.  A letter to the MP then Robotwars?

Can the 'care' home deal with any nursing care required?  I know years ago that care homes 'sold' rooms to others in need when residents went into Hospital for longer than 5 days, that led to bed blocking too!  Not a lot changes it seems.

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 07:27:30 PM »

Hi Annie
Can I just ask how you were after you had it removed? My mother is 76 and has severe COPD and is on oxygen, so quite concerned....

I was poorly to be honest

My cervix was almost out (had to be manually pushed back in minutes after I had my son 4 years prior to hysterectomy)

It was vaginal hysterectomy, I chose this way obviously because of the complete prolapse (refused bladder lift) plus I was told I'd be in 3 days max, I had 3 small children and a useless husband but my mum and good friend were nearby.

I didn't wake well from op, woke properly next day but lost my hearing. Had the op on a Thursday and hearing returned Monday.  They tried sitting me in a chair on the Sunday but I felt so faint and ill, turned out I was anaemic so they gave me tablets, a woman I knew worked in the HSDU(sterilising dept) of the hospital and popped in to see me when she recognised my name and said there was a lot of blood lost plus I'm sure she said extra instruments were used , I presume they were in the pack anyway.  When I saw consultant he said he'd tightened me too down there although I never noticed any improvement so I had stitches down the vaginal canal

However, I came out a week later and apart from terrible constipation and 2 burst haematomas I actually recovered really well, I was decorating 5 weeks post op

My dad had a hip replacement with spinal block so I wonder if that's an option ?

My SIL had hysterectomy last year by keyhole, 3 tiny 2 stitch scars

I've personally known others have the vaginal hysterectomy and they were out within the 3 days

Discuss your concerns with your mums surgeon
My hysterectomy alone helped the prolapsed bowel and bladder for years

Annie x