Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Obsession with symptoms  (Read 2455 times)

Beester

Obsession with symptoms
« on: August 04, 2016, 05:11:40 AM »

Is anyone else absolutely obsessed by various symptoms?   Each day is different, some days I am hot / cold / hot / cold etc, others just hot, others just cold.   Some days I wake early, others not so much, today it was 3am.   Some days I am tearful, others happy, others anxiety races.

I'm not on HRT at the mo, I have said it is not the route I want to go as I guess I'm scared.  I also want to check out the symptoms with the doc to see if there is a different health issue at stake.   

But does anyone else find they are so so conscious - prefer that word to obsessive - about what is going on??

Sammas

Re: Obsession with symptoms
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 06:36:48 AM »

Hi Beester,
Sending hugs! I can totally relate to this I am trying to be positive, do exercise, etc.. but things can be overwhelming and I just want to hide away from people I am an out going person normally I am also scared to go down the HRT route x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:19:53 AM »

Yep.  We have various themes here, one called 'health anxiety'  ::)

What's the worst that could happen?

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 12:07:58 PM »

I think it's totally normal, we were once healthy women then bam ! Hit with endless symptoms that can all have alternative reasons

I suffered terribly in the early days, convinced they were missing something as why would I suddenly have 101 symptoms linked to hormones ? Once I calmed down and accepted it the worry eased

Saying that, lol, there Is at one symptom I have that is definitely not hormone related but until a new non hormone symptom appears I'm no closer to finding out what's caused it

Annie x

Beester

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 08:04:50 PM »

Thanks folks  .... I am not anxious to be honest about the menopause - or peri.  I get anxious and anxiety but it's non-specific or related to the girls at work.   I'm just completely obssessed with how i slept, whether I am hot or cold and so on.

But perhaps that is a mask for anxiety.   Don't know ...

I don't know why the resistance to HRT?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »

A full blood screening i.e. thyroid function, healthy eating, 'me' time: have a browse round!  HRT is an option if symptoms get too much to cope with  ;)

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 10:31:19 PM »

Adrenaline rushes from benign hormonal imbalance causes hyper alertness (normally to protect us from whatever danger is assumed to be triggering the adrenaline), so it's like being tapped on the shoulder all the time to see what's wrong which can feel very obsessive.

Some just have this (which is bad enough!) but Health Anxiety is this plus a phobic expectation of fainting/vomiting/dying/hospital/etc. depending on your individual fear, making every twinge an even more terrifying experience.

Some women develop HA during peri/meno due to the physical experience scaring them so much, others may already have a longer term habit that then increases.

Rationalising what is actually going on and not letting your imagination run rife can turn these beliefs and habits around.