Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New Study - Later menopause 'may increase diabetes risk'  (Read 1060 times)

Elizabethrose

New Study - Later menopause 'may increase diabetes risk'
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36898077

Oh dear, late, early, HRT (?)!!

Interesting reading and it is hugely encouraging that more and more research is being done around peri/meno and the part hormones play in our lives. After many years of it all being quietly ignored it's got to be a good thing for our daughters!

Taz2

Re: New Study - Later menopause 'may increase diabetes risk'
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »

Interesting Elizabethrose but I find it totally confusing. Can anyone else explain? It seems to say that lower levels of oestrogen i.e. if you start your periods late - leads to more body fat so more likely to develop diabetes but, then again, if your levels are high then you may begin menopause later which will mean you are more likely to develop diabetes too. I'll have to read it again!!

Taz x

Elizabethrose

Re: New Study - Later menopause 'may increase diabetes risk'
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »

Yes it isn't clear, I often find that the media interpretations of data leave a lot to be desired! It's always a good idea to try to read the actual source.

I read it that it is an optimum level of oestrogen that is required for good blood health, not too little and not too much. Thus early meno offers too little oestrogen and late meno, too much! It raises the question of where HRT would sit in all of this. This is not discussed at all in the piece which is ridiculous because of course that would be the first question that would spring to mind.

I'm 44 years already menstruating and still doing so, hah, just another delight to add to the list!