Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your earliest memory?  (Read 7868 times)

Dorothy

Re: Your earliest memory?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 09:54:34 PM »

What a lovely memory!  Were you pleased to have a little brother or did you find him annoying.  I know a lot of children that age would rather have a puppy!

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 02:34:21 AM »

Some lovely memories and others not so good. It's interesting that some memories you can date, either by circumstances or surroundings.

Years back I had the chance to visit the house I lived in till I was 4. I was amazed how accurate my memories were of the layout and proportions of the house.

My relationship with my Mum was not wonderful, but it was not all bad. She was very caring when I was ill. I had asthma, which was poorly controlled with the medications available in the 50s and 60s. When I caught an infection, like a common cold, I would be very ill with breathing difficulties. ( I suspect modern day medication would have controlled it and if not, I would have been hospitalised. Not then. I don't think she realised dangerous it was.) Manys the night that she had to stay up with me. She used to tell me stories about when she was evacuated to Cornwall, which she loved as she was a city girl. She had never seen a cow before and got to learn how to milk by hand.

Joyce

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »

Ju Ju I'd love to go back & see first house I ever lived in. Past by it on a few occasions.

Scampi

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »

CLKD is right when she says it's hard to pick out what a real memories and what are 'implanted' from stories others have told! 

I can definitely remember sleeping in a huge bed at a B&B on the way to a holiday (no idea where we were going - probably Cornwall if it involved breaking the journey) - my Mum put a chair by the bed to stop me falling out, and my baby brother slept in a 'bed' made of blankets on the floor.  He was born in July, and it was a summer holiday, so he must have been tiny, and I will have been 2 or 3 (my birthday is August).  I have a vague idea the B&B was run by a Mrs Cleverly!

But I KNOW my 'memory' of Plymouth Ho! is planted .... I have heard so many stories of my little brother trying to pick up the painted dots on the road that I have a mental picture of him, dressed in a turquoise knitted romper suit that he's wearing in a photo from the right time, floating around in a big empty nothing surrounded by painted spots!  It's a big empty nothing as it's not a real memory, so I have no recollection of what Plymouth Ho! looks like!!

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 02:10:01 PM »

I was taken on a holiday to Wales when I was about 2 or 3 with my parents and grandmother.  I have absolutely no recollection of any aspect of this holiday at all which is odd because I have many quite strong memories, not necessarily goo ones, from this time of my life. I have wondered if I have blocked the holiday out for some reason but have no way of knowing

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 02:33:57 PM »

I am sure I remember lying in my big pram and I am also sure I can feel the texture of the blanket.
I would probably be about 18 months. 

babyjane

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 03:27:02 PM »

On that holiday I would have been about 2 and a half.  When I was 3 my life as I knew it all changed and I was no longer a happy and carefree child.  I still have photos of that holiday and as far as I can tell they are the last photos where I am smiling and laughing and happy so perhaps that got buried.

Sorry, this is meany to be your earliest memory, not non-memory.  I guess my earliest memory, thinking about it, was of my aunt coming to collect me and take me on the train all the way to my Nan's house, a 4 hour train journey.  I would have been just over three at the time.  I remember the big steam train blowing smoke and I was wearing a green coat.

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »

Oh that brings back memories going to see my grandparents on the train and my grandpa taking me for a walk to see the trains and stand on the pedestrian bridge as the train went underneath. The steam would billow up around us.

ariadne

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 09:39:19 PM »

What a lovely memory!  Were you pleased to have a little brother or did you find him annoying.  I know a lot of children that age would rather have a puppy!

Im pretty sure I wasnt all that pleased on the day he was born but I loved him as we grew together. He is, I now know, undiagnosed autistic. My Mum always said he was but in the ignorance of youth I didnt believe her as I had an image in my mind of what autism was and he didnt fit it. Of course I now know no two autistic people are the same.

When we were little, I was the only one who could understand him as he talked "scribble" as my Mum used to say.  😁

Ariadne xx

Dorothy

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »

CLKD is right when she says it's hard to pick out what a real memories and what are 'implanted' from stories others have told! 

I can definitely remember sleeping in a huge bed at a B&B on the way to a holiday (no idea where we were going - probably Cornwall if it involved breaking the journey) - my Mum put a chair by the bed to stop me falling out, and my baby brother slept in a 'bed' made of blankets on the floor.  He was born in July, and it was a summer holiday, so he must have been tiny, and I will have been 2 or 3 (my birthday is August).  I have a vague idea the B&B was run by a Mrs Cleverly!

But I KNOW my 'memory' of Plymouth Ho! is planted .... I have heard so many stories of my little brother trying to pick up the painted dots on the road that I have a mental picture of him, dressed in a turquoise knitted romper suit that he's wearing in a photo from the right time, floating around in a big empty nothing surrounded by painted spots!  It's a big empty nothing as it's not a real memory, so I have no recollection of what Plymouth Ho! looks like!!

I think the problem is that a lot of our memories can be 'overwritten' by what other people tell us.  For example, with my grandfather, I could hear him singing really clearly in my mind until my mum realised that that was the person I was talking about.  She thought he had an awful singing voice, so after that, every time his name came up in conversation, she would say 'oh, my poor daughter was only a baby & she can remember him singing; poor thing, imagine being able to remember that' and then she would do an 'imitation' of him, singing in a really silly, croaky voice and mocking him.  Now, when I think about him, all I can hear is her voice doing that stupid 'impersonation', which makes me really sad. 

One thing I've found useful in working out whether I am remembering the event, or what other people have told me is to see if I can see myself in the event.  So, I can remember playing with my ride-on toy donkey, and all I can see in the memory is the grass and the donkey's back and ears.  But I have a 'memory' from the same time of a neighbour helping me build a tower with my wooden bricks and me knocking it over, and I can see me knocking it over.  So that is obviously me remembering what I've been told (the poor man was an architect & used to build these amazing creations only to have them flattened by me!!!)
Pages: 1 [2]