Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel questions  (Read 2892 times)

Jinja

Oestrogel questions
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »

Hi all, I have finally been given oestrogel to try I also have a mirena, but I have a few questions. It says in the info that it should not be stored above 25C whilst this isn't too much of a problem in this country  ;D I am going on holiday to kos so is it OK to keep in the fridge. Also am I allowed to carry it onto an aeroplane do I need some sort of documentation
Lastly my GP said to use it once a day but didnt day whether that should be 1 pump or 2 as the leaflet talks of 2 or 4 pumps should I start at 2 or try 1 first?
Thanks

Mary G

Re: Oestrogel questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »

No, don't put it in the fridge!  I spend a lot of time in Spain and have never had any problems with it and it can get to over 40 degrees in high summer.

If you have a Mirena coil, I would use at least 2 pumps of Oestrogel everyday.  I do have a reason for this suggestion; having had a Mirena coil myself, I can tell you that although most of the progesterone from the coil is confined to the womb, some does get into your overall system so for that reason, I would not want to use a lower dose than 2 pumps because it may not be effective enough - the effects of the progesterone in the coil can lessen the effect of the Oestrogel.

I now use Utrogestan and I use one pump in the morning and one in the evening to keep the levels up but you don't have to split the dose.  Some women find that it is difficult to sleep if they take two pumps of gel at night so you might want to use it in the morning. 

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »

Hi Jinja
I have used Oestrogel for almost 20 years,  Used 2 pumps per day through most of this time but now only one pump as I find it is enough.  I have never split the doses but some women prefer to do this.  I used it mornings for many years but for some reason I have now switched to using it before bed and actually find I sleep better!!!

Don't put it in the fridge - as long it's kept in a cool place and out of the sun it should be fine.

I had the coil and used Oestrogel alongside for 4 years in my 50s and found this a good option at the time. I am trying Utrogestan in various ways at the moment but not really getting on with it very well as I'm getting too many side effects and erratic bleeding.
Enjoy feeling better - the gel should do it's magic within 2-3 weeks.  DG x

Michelle46

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

Hi Dancing girl
Could you tell me what side effects you have been experiencing on utrogestan? I take it orally and seem to be getting side effects I think? Thankyou.

Liz

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:46:34 PM »

Chipping in here, ladies, so hope that's OK. My Utrogestan has hit me badly this month......... had dreadful PMT and low mood whilst on it, as well as feeling totally zonked.  Took my last one last night, so hoping the effects wear off soon.  Already been bleeding for 4 days now, so that's a bit erratic as well.

Must add, been using it orally so far but am tempted to try vaginally next month to see if it's better (that's if I stay on HRT, been considering trying to taper off, but we shall see when I get back from holiday).

Michelle46

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:22:10 PM »

Hi Liz
I'm the same. I take 100mg orally. I take them for 12 days but I feel all wired and hyper. I'm wondering about using them vaginally too.

Liz

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 06:12:54 AM »

I don't feel wired and hyper, Michelle, not that I've noticed so far, but my mood plummets and things stress me out more than they should, not to mention the tiredness.  Interesting you take 100mg x 12 days (I'm taking 200mg).  What is your Oestrogel dose?

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 07:36:44 AM »

Hi Michelle46 -I have never taken Utrogestan orally but on the continent, vaginal use is recommended of there are side effects from oral use - although it is not licensed for this purpose here.

Re the dose - Liz - I've just posted on a thread by soniad about dosage and there is a lot of discussion about this on here!

Hurdity x

Michelle46

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »

Hi Liz
At the moment I use one and a quarter pumps. It is trial and error. My doctor advised me to take 100mg. She is not helpful at all with Hrt. This forum is very helpful and everyone is lovely.

Michelle46

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »

Thankyou Hurdity
I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor this week. I'm going to show her this forum i think x