Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes  (Read 3308 times)

Amacor

Hot flushes
« on: June 27, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »

Has anyone any ideas how to deal with hot flushes. I get between 15-20 a day and am at my wits end. I can cope when at home but not at work as I can't strip off any clothing ( for safety reasons). I'm currently taking starflower oil but it doesn't seem to be working.

Mary G

Re: Hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »

Welcome to MM.

HRT is the only way to combat hot flushes, nothing else will cut it or protect you from the long list of health problems caused by oestrogen deprivation.

Have you considered HRT?  Why not speak to your doctor about it.  I highly recommend the Oestrogel/Utrogestan, it's the best HRT regime I have used by a very long way. 

You really don't have to suffer like that, you do have a choice. 

Amacor

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:20:33 PM »

Thank you for replying. I really don't want to go on HRT, but it's looking like I may have to now. I will make an appointment with my GP and see what he says.

dazned

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:26:13 PM »

If you don't want to at the present moment you dont have to. See what your gp suggests.
Hows your diet,fitness etc. Have you had your thyroid checked ? Maybe tell us your age,what your periods are doing ?

Oh sorry  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:18:23 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Amacor
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up before seeing our GP.  You don't tell us how old you are or whether you are still getting periods or not?
Do keep an open mind - many women believe using HRT is somehow being weak but there are many benefits with HRT including protecting the health of your heart and bones for the longer term.
Quality of life is very important and if flushes are impacting negatively on you and your family then there is treatment - HRT should be the first thing to try.
DG x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »

Hi Amacor.

As the others have said HRT is good at dealing with hot flushes but if you have strong reasons not to want to take it then there are blood pressure medications which can help or, in some cases, a low dose of an anti depressant has also been shown to help stop the dreaded flushes/sweats. I know what you mean about how debilitating they are and how awkward it is when you're at work and can't strip off!! It was this that made me go onto HRT. My sweats were every twenty minutes day and night and within forty-eight hours of starting HRT patches they had stopped completely. It was like a miracle.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Amacor

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 06:45:05 PM »

Thanks all for replying. I am 49 and haven't had a period for 3 months now, I still get all the symptoms tho. My periods were always regular at 21 days each cycle, then they just stopped. I do weightlifting and resistance training 4 times a week, I am slightly overweight but have lost 3 stone since October 2015. I eat healthy (NOT DIETING), drink little caffeine, mainly water ( about 3 litres a day).
I believe I am trying to do all the right things to help me get through the menopause but the hot flushes are the bane of my life at the mo.

walking the dog

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »

It won't stop the flushes and night sweats but practical things can help such as a very thin duvet at night , a bedside fan , magicool spray and chillow pillows though not cheap are fab mine saved me many a night. I wear layers now a dress or blouse with cardigan so I can strip off easily .its not a solution but it will help xx

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 07:20:02 PM »

When you are gearing up for your next period you might find that the flushes stop for a while. It's such a relief!

Taz x