Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Bowel habits.  (Read 39254 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Bowel habits.
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:24 AM »

Had some good news today. The results of the MRI of my pelvic floor showed that I didn't have a rectal prolapse, so won't need another op, thank goodness, but it did show that I have difficulty fully evacuating (that's what I've been complaining of all along!). I'm being referred for physio, having just been discharged from physio following my hysterectomy. How many more exercises will I have do with my nether regions?! Just reread that! No saucy answers!

Ju Ju

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »

;D Bottoms up!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2016, 12:03:16 PM »

Thanks for the update. 

What has been suggested, anything that might help me  :-\

wombat62

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2016, 12:22:27 PM »

That's good news that you don't have to have surgery.

There was an article in the Mail about putting your feet on a small stool to help go but maybe you've already tried that?

CLKD

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2016, 12:40:36 PM »

I know a friend found that standing helped empty the bowels more naturally …….. also, OAPs are advised to have raised toilets so that they don't sit down too low or suddenly - perhaps we are in general missing a 'trick' in how we position our toilets?  Maybe on a dias ………. literally, a 'throne'?

I suppose I bob down so that I am not seen in the ditch  :D

Taz2

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2016, 12:55:19 PM »

Has anyone else read The Gut by Giulia Enders? It's a fantastic description of how our digestion works and is very humorous too. I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in how their inner workings.. work! According to the book squatting is definitely the best way to go to the loo. There are 1.2 billion people in the world who squat to evacuate their bowels and they have almost no incidence of diverticulosis and very little problems with piles. The downhill skiing pose is the most favourable!

Taz x

wombat62

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »

Reminds me of the first time I used a squatting loo for a wee in Asia! Fine if you are wearing a skirt, not see easy with trousers!

Ju Ju

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2016, 01:16:53 PM »

I use my grandsons step so my feet are elevated and bend forwards, which does help.

I haven't received the follow up letter yet. I'll let you know recommendations from the physio when I get an appointment, which I hope will be sooner rather than later.

I now have this vision of me in skis posing over the loo, Taz!

I remember the French loos when I was bundled up in motor bike gear when I was younger. Not compatible! DH got impatient when I insisted on hunting for a modern clean loo, where I could disrobe.

dahliagirl

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »

What I learned from the pooh physiotherapist after my rectocele repair.

1.  Learn to relax the pelvic floor as well as tightening. http://www.pelvicphysiotherapy.com/release-exercises/  Pelvic floor dysfunction is interesting and possibly causes a lot of problems with incomplete evacuation etc.

2.  Cultivate a daily habit.  By going at the same time each day, your body is more ready to respond.  So go after breakfast.

3.  Use peristalisis to help create an urge.  Peristalsis (the muscular contractions that move your food through the gut) start at the top with swallowing.  Make the most of this by having proper meals rather than grazing.  Make the most of waking up in the morning by having a good breakfast - plenty of chewing and swallowing and eat something that helps things move through (porridge, prunes etc  ;) )

4.  Diet - eat plenty of soluble fibre which is found in beans and pulses, porridge, fruit and veg (which as an aside is a good part of the cholesterol lowering diet  :) ).  Non soluble fibre like bran dries out if your have slow transit times, like peat based potting compost, and causes a catch 22 situation, whereby it slows your transit down further.  Check your transit time by eating sweetcorn and seeing how long it takes to get through (I rarely see it again  ::) )  Slow transit will result in food taking longer to go through the colon and dry out, slowing transit further.  Drink plenty of water.

5.  Anticipate constipation by taking laxatives or other action when you know it may happen.  (eg if I miss breakfast, or restrict fluids on a long journey, or reach the progestogen tablets on my hrt).  The dried fruit cubes were suggested as a natural solution, but they do contain a bit of senna which gives me pains, so I use movicol or kiwi fruits.

6. Try improving your bacteria collection by taking acidophilus capsules. (I have since found it is proven to be better to feed the bacteria you have on lots of raw stuff as too much of the bacteria in capsules and yogurts get digested before they get there.)

7.  This is a good example for sitting on the loo position with explanation http://www.squattypotty.co.uk/.  You can do your own thing with boxes/steps etc.

Personally, I found glycerine suppositories a help in getting things started post op and when things have gone too far.  I find movicol a help and kiwi fruits(some people are allergic to these).  I don't recommend senna or anything with bisacodyl as they can cause a lot of pain in some people - I spent the early hours trying not to faint on the bathroom floor with one that was supposed to deliver gentle overnight relief once  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »

Crikey  ;D - we're a Mine of info on here  :thank you:

If you think of puppy training, one puts it out to 'go' as soon as it wakes and immediately after feeding it  ;)

Taz - is the book still available?  Haven't seen it in "the book people" list ……. perhaps I'll look in old book shops. Or maybe they don't talk about their piles  :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2016, 06:03:36 PM »

Thank you, dahlia girl. That's very interesting.

I do some of this and I do manage to keep my stools soft most of the time, using fibogel, flaxseed and prunes, but sometimes I am too successful, and to do enough to keep several people happy if you know what I mean, then I don't go for a day or two. I would love to know how to cultivate this regular time everyday. I go when I have to, hopefully in the morning, and often with great urgency. If I use laxatives, I find I have to keep doing small amounts throughout the day and sometimes night. You can't tell your bowels that it's not the right time! I'm wheat intolerant, so don't go that route and I think I'm allergic to kiwi fruit as I had a very frightening reaction ( face, mouth and throat swelling) years back. I wouldn't want to try without medical supervision as I have read it could be far more serious if I did. I eat veg, though not a lot of fruit. Pulses, with caution as :hotflash:. You wouldn't want to be near me! It will be very interesting seeing the physio for this. I have done very well with the normal pelvic floor exercises, succeeding in reducing bladder weakness.

CLKD

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2016, 06:06:08 PM »

How do you eat flaxseeds?  I tried years ago but couldn't crack them even with a stone on the patio  ::)   Chickens enjoyed them though!

Ju Ju

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 06:35:50 PM »

Oh you make me laugh! You either mill them yourself or buy them ready milled in packets that have to be refrigerated, which is what I do cos I'm all for an easy life. I buy them either from the supermarket or a health food shop. Not cheap though.

Oh dahlia girl, what do you mean by feeding bacteria on raw stuff. Do you mean sprinkling on raw food? I do take capsules. Thanks for taking the time on writing all this info. I will certainly share any useful info when I go for physio.

CLKD

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2016, 06:46:49 PM »

I don't think that bacteria 'feed' on raw foods ………….  :-\

I tried milling flaxseeds but they were too hard.  We tried everything ……….. pestle and mortar, stones on the patio cave-man style; I did buy 'bergen' bread but it didn't keep long enough, tasty though …….

Ju Ju

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2016, 08:00:25 PM »

Try an electric mill. Less muscle power or cheat like me and buy ready milled. Can't stand the racket of the mill first thing in the morning!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12