Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 44, frightened with anxiety and depression  (Read 11874 times)

babyjane

Re: 44, frightened with anxiety and depression
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2016, 08:37:52 AM »

what a shame he is so expensive making it difficult for some women to access his services I am sure.  the NHS can't begin to afford to offer services like this and it is a crying shame, the same as the mental health services  :'(

Louloufell

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2016, 09:00:04 AM »

Hello
I too see Prof Studd it is just over 5 weeks I've been on the gels. I'm out and about even though I've still got
Extremely high cortisol and adrenaline in the morning which isn't nice. I am calling him this week once I've done 6
Weeks to see if I need to increase anything. He is very knowledgable. It is awful this isn't available on the NHS but he is trying to educate people along with Nick Paney and Micheal Craig who can be seen on the NHS x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »

:thankyou:

Mary G

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »

Part of the key to Professor Studd's success is using Oestrogel and not over prescribing progesterone.  Getting HRT out of the NHS is only half the battle, the other half is getting the right type at the right dose.  I do hope Professor Studd's brilliance rubs off on the NHS but it seems to be taking its time. 

The fact of the matter is, we are where we are with this which is not necessarily where we want to be and sadly, we do not live in a perfect world.  I know a consultation with Professor Studd is a lot of money but I honestly think it is the most impacting £300 I have ever spent and I can't think of anything else that I could have spent that money on that would have changed my life so drastically and made me so much happier.  If you can't afford it, try to either borrow from a friend or relative or bung it on a credit card.  We are talking about something that could change your life here and it could turn out to be the best £300 you ever spent.  You don't have to have all the other tests (I didn't) you can take your own blood test results etc with you to keep the cost down.  My one regret is that I didn't go and see him sooner.

Mojo61, yes he does see post menopausal women and will happily prescribe HRT for them.

puddlesmum

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2016, 01:01:48 PM »

My best friend is at the hands of the NHS as she is a hyster-sister and has gone menopausal early (she's 34) and all they've done is taken blood, tell her the bloods are normal and are leaving her be.  I've told her to give me a few weeks on the new regime and then I'm going to pay for her to see Professor Studd, I'll even pay for her private prescription just to make sure she's ok.  The NHS have the information to hand but it's all about money and what they can get for the basics. So many women suffering, it's just not fair on them. 

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2016, 02:05:30 PM »

:bang: :bang: :bang:  Consultants should discuss the opportunity and availability of HRT prior to hysterectomy !!!! actually the GP should voice this B4 sending the lady to see the Consultant  :cuss:

Hurdity

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »

Hello
I too see Prof Studd it is just over 5 weeks I've been on the gels. I'm out and about even though I've still got
Extremely high cortisol and adrenaline in the morning which isn't nice. I am calling him this week once I've done 6
Weeks to see if I need to increase anything. He is very knowledgable. It is awful this isn't available on the NHS but he is trying to educate people along with Nick Paney and Micheal Craig who can be seen on the NHS x

er - Nick Panay has done a huge amount of research with John Studd for many years and they have written papers together. He is also eminent in his field and I think has been a recent chair of the British Menopause Society. Undoubtedly Prof Studd was a pioneer in his field - due to his research back in the 70's to 90's which informed his practice - but he really is not the only gynaecologist that  prescribes bio-identical HRT.

Babyjane - there is a huge amount of improvement needed in NHS in many areas of which menopause is one but I would hate for women to think that they cannot hope for an alleviation of their symptoms or improvement in their general health if they cannot afford his fee.

There are very many gynaecologists out there private and NHS and many GPs are also willing to prescribe in this way. Please all you women out there - do not feel that you are not getting a good deal if you can't (afford to) see the original leading guy. It is important that GPs and local gynaes get the message  across and the British Menopause Society is working to implement the NICE recommendations. Studd won't be practising for ever as he is 75 now - so we also need to help make sure we help spread the message about the sort of HRT we want and should be able to access on NHS!!!

Sorry puddlesmum - this was a general comment but was prompted by the posts on here. I really hope that your new regime of HRT works for you, you manage to lose the weight you want to (which is important for your health as you are aware), and that you are able to feel happy enough to live your life again :)

How kind of you to offer to pay for your friend's consultation. However in her situation she does need urgent referral through NHS to a gynaecologist, due to her early menopause as replacement oestrogen is absolutely essential to protect her future health having had menopause so young - so she really does not need to pay.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2016, 08:15:51 PM »

Maybe Professor Studd should take his message around each NHS Hospital ……… GP Surgery ………. Obs and Gynae Wards …….

Mary G

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »

Good idea CLKD because the message is clearly not getting through to most NHS GPs otherwise we would not have so many women on here who have been prescribed either the wrong type of HRT and/or the wrong dose.  The NHS need to review their guidelines for progesterone for a start and Professor Studd could certainly help with that.  The fact is, there are thousands of women who are extremely happy with the Studd regime and it certainly changed my life so he is clearly getting it very right.  It is the combination of Oestrogel, testosterone and the low dose of progesterone (Utrogestan) that makes his regime so successful, therefore, it is time for it to be rolled out nationwide. 

Perhaps other members can help by giving names of NHS and private gynaecologists who prescribe his exact regime i.e. Oestrogel, testosterone with 7 days of 100mg Utrogestan?  It would certainly help those who cannot afford Professor Studd's services or cannot make the trip to London. 

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2016, 08:49:23 PM »

Good Idea  :thankyou:

puddlesmum

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »

I think my friend has frankly had enough using the NHS sadly.  She was originally referred to a gynecologist who informed her that she had cancerous cells and told her there and then she needed a hysterectomy, but wouldn't discuss anything further with her.  After her operation she was told to go back a few months later but the hospital cancelled on her 3 times then referred her back to her GP.  All GP has given her is ADs and HRT and sent her on her way.  Unfortunately where she lives her NHS trust are appalling as is the housing (the fight I had with them to get her house sorted as it was covered in black mould was immense and she has 2 disabled kiddies which they didn't care were living in that state). Anyway I digress.  I hate seeing her suffering with the same symptoms so I'm more than happy to pay for her, just so she knows someone cares and to give her faith back in the medical profession.  It's hard watching someone suffering so much, yet when you give them the information to tell the doctors, they just get given ADs and told that it's just how life is. 

It's a bit like when I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was rushed into hospital and NHS couldn't figure out what the heck I had.  The waiting list to see the gyno for me would have been nearly 6 months wait. Luckily my partner had health insurance for us with his employer so I got seen privately within a few days and saw a wonderful man called Professor Stephen Franks who diagnosed PCOS AND said he thought I had diabetes too (NHS had taken 6 fasting blood tests previous to no avail).  However Professor Franks wrote to my GP at the time with a plan of action and my doctor decided to only give me part of what was recommended and that was Metformin.  The NHS did nothing else for it as they couldn't offer anything else.

Sometimes I think the NHS is amazing. When my mum cracked her head open after falling in the bath they were amazing and when she got her dementia diagnosis, with NHS help and support they got her meds perfect. That type of thing they do an amazing job but I think sometimes they just prescribe what's cheap and basic rather than what's perfect for us and our symptoms.  Sad but true.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:44:58 PM by puddlesmum »

Mary G

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »

puddlesmum, I think your friend has received the most appalling treatment and it makes you wonder what kind of medic thinks it's OK for a woman of that age to live with hormone deprivation for years on end.

I think it is very kind of you to offer to pay for your friend to have a consultation Professor Studd and I know he will be able to help her, she certainly needs a break.  As you say, you can hang around waiting indefinitely for an NHS appointment and even then there is no guarantee you will be offered the right type of HRT at the right dose.  For the sake of 300 quid, seeing Professor Studd is a no brainer. 

puddlesmum

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »

My doctor has flatly refused me any of the meds that Professor Studd prescribes. Way to go NHS.  I was half expecting it anyway to be fair, as my doctors only seem worried about what it will cost them in the long run and don't worry about how it makes the patient feel.  Ah well, looks like I'll have to stick with PS and ask him to prescribe it again at my follow up in 2 months.

UPDATE: Just got a call from the doctors secretary, he said he will prescribe it as long as I book for him to come out and see me as he wants to give me a medical.  Ah, light at the end of the tunnel.  Shame I had to kick up a stink on the phone though but still.  Happy days.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:00:28 PM by puddlesmum »

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2016, 03:59:28 PM »

Have you told Professor Studd?

puddlesmum

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 04:01:30 PM »

Yep called him straight after I got the first call. He said it was fine, he'll just provide me another private one when the time comes.  But looks like he might not have to now :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4