Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: books  (Read 9619 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: books
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 11:36:08 PM »

I was reading an article about Astley Book Farm, so when next in Warwickshire, I intend to visit the village of Bedworth for a look-see  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 02:24:43 AM »

:bounce:

we did go to Astley Book Farm - great place to visit! with a wood burning stove and a Very Good Cafe  ;)

dulciana

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 08:30:44 PM »

To be honest, I'm not a great one for fiction (my Gran wasn't either).  The books I tend go for are on musical subjects - quelle surprise! - or they're funny ones to read in bed.   If I do read a novel, someone will have lent it to me or I'll have come across it somewhere.   It doesn't really add up because I love working with words and one of my favourite things in M'soft Word is the Thesaurus.    :-\

dulciana

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 08:36:31 PM »

:bounce:

we did go to Astley Book Farm - great place to visit! with a wood burning stove and a Very Good Cafe  ;)

I'm intrigued, CLKD - are they breeding books there?    ;D

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »

:lol: you have lifted my Spirit this morning  -  :thankyou:

I am reading 'Aunt Jennies Jug' which is self-published by a lady born in the early 1920s so rambles: she writes like she talks ..... a nice look into social history, as well as a book about a Hedge, planted across India by the British ........
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:03:00 PM by CLKD »

Cazikins

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 11:36:45 PM »

I like to read books by Victoria Hislop (Ian Hislops Mrs).

I've read 3 so far & have enjoyed all of them especially The Island.

CaroleM

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 10:49:32 PM »

Stephen's 18 year old nephew has had his first novel published, when he was 16.  It's a fantasy story, a la Crown of Thrones.  At least that's what I think it is.  Not my taste nor Stephen's, but James has quite severe dyslexia so it's a real achievement.  He's training to be a chef and has found work in a pub in the evenings making the meals for the bar.  He's working there pretty much full time during the holiday period. 

What am I reading? A bit of a mixture lately, some historical fact, some historical fiction, some crime.  It depends what mood I'm in.  Luckily, I can carry a story line in my head, so switching doesn't cause too many problems.

Also I have a friend who is finishing his third novel.  It's a medieval trilogy.  I get told, mostly by my Mum, that I ought to write a book about all the things my pets get up to.  She's spent many an hour having a giggle when I have told her about the latest animal shinanigans in our home. Cannot ever imagine anyone would to read those.  I have tried asking a friend in his 90's to let me put his life story onto paper.  He's says no one would be interested, I would.

What was the first 'grown up' book you read?  Mine was Charles Kingsley's The Water Babies, which my Daddy had bought for me for Christmas.  I was 9.  I also read all the Katy books and the Heidi trilogy.  One day I will get around to reading all the books by Charles Dickens, which Daddy had.

Salad

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »

I loved 'The Water Babies'! Another childhood favourite was 'The Family at Red-Roofs'.

Well done to your nephew CaroleM  :)

banks

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 07:27:33 AM »

Anne of green gables was a favourite of mine

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »

Heidi
Secret 7
Famous 5
Anne of Green Gables
Black Beauty/Son of Black Beauty
Secret Garden

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 07:13:05 PM »

I love reading, when I lived in Wales, my friends & I started a book club it was the best thing, got you reading books you may have never picked up! Cazikins that's how I got into Victoria Hislop we read The Island, since then read all of hers.
Ju Ju Citadel is brilliant again got into Kate Moses through book club, I've read all hers having only finished The Taxidermist's Daughter last month.
Babyjane I've read Harlem's books they are very good.
Don't know if anyone else has read it but I've just finished The Girls by Emma Cline, the start is a little slow but worth persevering with.
Talking of children's books I loved Heidi, Anne of Green Gables, Black Beauty, Secret Garden, Wind in the Willows, What Katy did, Little House on the Prairie - I still have them as well!

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

There's a BBC Radio2 book Club on Tuesday evenings with the presenter at 5.00 p.m. whose name escapes me although I can visualise his face  ::)

Cazikins

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »

I loved The Thread by V.H. Yorkshire Girl, such easy reading but very detailed. I love the way she describes the towns & villages that the story is set in.
It takes me ages to get into another book after reading one of hers.
I also like Margaret Dickinson, although she is a bit more predictable.
Cazi x

Claireylou

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »

Simon Mayo I think CLKD. I really enjoy listening to it with feet up and a cuppa  :)

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »

That's him!  :thankyou: I never remember the titles of the books reviewed though, ought to run off a list from the web-site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3