Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie needing help - BRCA2 and Protein C deficiency  (Read 2029 times)

shelby1982

Newbie needing help - BRCA2 and Protein C deficiency
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:25:06 PM »

Hi all, never used a forum before... really hoping someone out there can help me!
I'm 33 and had my ovaries removed in January.  Since then, wow - surgical menopause has been a nightmare!  Really, really struggled with disturbed sleep, hot flushes, anger, memory problems and many other issues! Add to that being mum to a 2&5 year old and I really have lost sight of the chilled out real 'me'.  I have been on anti-depressants for a few months now but these only help me be less angry than before.  I haven't been back to work as they want me to get myself sorted out properly.
Recently I found out I can have HRT despite the BRCA2 gene - I got my prescription only to find all the info states its a 'no' for someone with protein c deficiency (thrombophilia).  Now I feel lost again... I cannot remember if I told the consultant I have it, or if she had my records when making the recommendation??! I have never had a DVT but know I am high risk for getting one and so haven't dared start the HRT yet. Any information I have found during my research always relates to a 50+ age group so I'm getting nowhere!
Really hoping there is someone of whatever age who has the same crappy genetics as me that can advise... please?!  :P

Taz2

Re: Newbie needing help - BRCA2 and Protein C deficiency
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:33:53 AM »

Hi shelby1982 - welcome to the forum - you will find lots of support on here.

It does seem that if you have the inherited protein c deficiency then HRT is not recommended whatever your age. Obviously this is up to the experts to determine but it's worrying that you feel you may not have disclosed this to the consultant and that she hasn't got a true picture of your health risks. Can you get in touch with her to clarify this? You are very young to do without any oestrogen as this is necessary to help protect your heart and bones but I expect you know that already! Was the fact that you would be in surgical menopause explained to you before surgery?

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »

:welcomemm:  from me too.  We can't always remember our medical histories when in a stressful situation, i.e. Consultant's Surgery  ::).  Give her Secretary a ring in the morning and ask, she may know or if not, should be able to ask the Consultant for you. 

Let us know how you get on!

shelby1982

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:45:19 PM »

Thank you for your advise.  I have been round the houses and ended back talking to my GP who has agreed I can take the HRT meds as the benefits outweigh the risks. Just need to be cautious and wary of DVT. Fingers crossed it works as I sooo need a good nights sleep! :) ;D

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:50:08 PM »

That's good news then shelby - I'm sure you will soon begin to feel the benefit. Let us know how you get on.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 07:09:56 PM »

:thankyou: for the update.