Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 4192 times)

margaret

Vagifem
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:24:29 PM »

Hi can anyone tell me how safe is it to use Vagifem  :)

countrybumpkin

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:07:56 PM »

Have a search of the menopause section of forum and you will find loads of info on this.
I have been using it for a year and cannot do without it.  I cannot have normal hrt due to breast cancer risk but was told that the amount you absorb of vagifem is so tiny its even used by breast cancer patients ( urologist told me) so that tells you alot!
Someone on here said her gyny had said that if you used it every day for a year its absorbtion would be equivalent to 1 hrt tablet.
I use it twice a week and if I forget or stop after a week the symptoms are back with a vengeance.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:18:31 PM »

margaret - countrybumpkin is right - Vagifem is very, very low dose.  It used to be 25mg and is now only 10mg so many ladies have to use it 3 or more times a week to get the real benefit. The leaflet is the same as you would get for full systemic HRT.
If there is a strong family history of breast cancer then doctors may be reluctant to prescribe Vagifem but if you have vaginal and bladder problems it can bring relief - for many of us it is essential.  I fI stop systemic HRt I will certainly still be using vagifem and probably for the rest of my life.   DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:29:44 PM »

Quality of Life Girls, Quality of Life  ;)

The initial load is every night for 2 weeks then a couple of times each week with a few days break in between.  [clear as mud?].  I use Ovestin1mg and it sorted the feeling of razor blades up there.  Although it says on the leaflet in the box that women having had breast disease shouldn't use it, the uptake is so small  ::).  I had breast disease in the 1990s and never thought twice about using something proven to get rid of VA!

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 01:24:03 PM »

Margaret, what is it that's worrying you about Vagifem? Is there something in particular?

margaret

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »

Hi Ladies, I've been to the docs and she's given me some Vagifem, I feel much happier now, I don't think I could put up with the stinging for much longer and the feeling of wanting to wee, thank you everyone for your replies  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 02:00:15 PM »

Let us know how you get on after the initial 2 week load.

margaret

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 11:43:20 AM »

Hi Ladies,

Just an update on the Vagifem I started to use on Tuesday, I can't believe how well it's working just after 4 days, I feel so happy after months of being in pain I can look forward to getting on with things instead of being down in the dumps, one happy bunny  :) ;)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 11:58:08 AM »

Wonderful stuff, I go into panic mode if it is out of stock when I go to chemist...happened a couple of times. I now put my repeat in early!
Good you are feeling more comfortable.

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »

I am also happy with Vagifem, been using it for 5 years now  :)

scriv

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 03:49:07 AM »

I have been using it for 10 years and have been told the gynaes are happy for me continuing it lifelong :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:20:09 AM by scriv »

linz57

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »

I used to take Vagifem and was then put onto an hrt patch instead. However, I recently restarted the Vagifem alongside the patch and I had a brown discharge. I was thinking maybe it was clearing out any womb lining that was hanging around. Has anyone else had this happen when they either started or returned to Vagifem?