Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lactose intolerance.....  (Read 15952 times)

breeze

Re: Lactose intolerance.....
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »

There was an interesting item on BBC radio 4s medical programme, I think this week or last week. 
I forget the name of the programme, but it is with Dr Mark Porter.
It was about lactose intolerance, and from what I can remember concluded that far fewer people are intolerant than was believed and those that are can usually tolerated small amounts, particularly in products like cheese.
I will take a look as see if it's on iplayer.

Found it.
'Inside Health'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088fmp7
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:05:28 PM by breeze »

cubagirl

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 09:59:41 PM »

When bad, the diarrhoea is explosive. Sorry if that's too much info.  I've been fortunate & been near a loo, but fear I may not one day. It really is quite awful when it happens.

Ju Ju

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2017, 06:14:32 AM »

My daughter and grandson are both intolerant/ allergic to dairy products, not just lactose. My daughter was over all healthy growing up, but had minor ailments. As an adult she had breathing difficulties which did not respond to asthma medication. Her doctor told her that she couldn't possibly have asthma as a result, despite a strong family history. She had other less serious symptoms e.g. Dripping nose. A nutritionist helped her identify dairy and eggs as the problem. After eliminating them from her diet, her breathing etc improved considerably and she finds salbutamol effective on the rare occasions she needs it. However, if she inadvertently consumes dairy or egg, maybe cross contamination, she has violent diarrhoea within half an hour and can feel off colour for a couple of days. It was easy to identify her son's problem with dairy, as he did not have any through her milk. When she carefully introduced dairy into his diet, he began to have diarrhoea, severe nappy rash, vomiting, just as she had had as a baby. Fortunately eggs are no problem for him. My DD has problems accessing lactose free medication. She has to be vigilant when she is prescribed medication by gps or in hospital. For example when had preeclampsia. She was given medication with lactose in it and had to make a fuss, which is worrying. The pharmacist in her local town is brilliant and has gone to war with her GP on her behalf and sourced the appropriate medication.  Many medications do contain lactose and vaccines are often derived from eggs. Lucky my DD is a healthy young lady. Long may it continue.

cubagirl

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »

Ju Ju I feel for your daughter in her endeavours trying to get lactose free medication! It's a blooming nightmare.  Chemist once told me, "Oh but it's such a minute amount!" It may well be, but no fun if you are lactose/dairy intolerant.  I cannot get GPs to put a warning note on my file. So every time I need something new, they get out their "bible" and leaf through pages to find something.  My asthma got really bad once & I had to see asthma nurse, she twigged straight away, the preventer inhaler had lactose in.  She hadn't prescribed it, GP had.  I used to drink so much milk as a child, but no problems then. Suddenly in my mid teenage years even the smell made me nauseous.  Often wonder if my childhood consumption caused the problem.
Pages: 1 2 [3]