Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Estrogen and anxiety  (Read 10113 times)

Milamam

Re: Estrogen and anxiety
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 03:22:40 AM »

Dangermouse,
Your observation might have a lot if truth indeed!
I am 45 now, started peri I think in my early 40ties. I had always had very heavy snd painful periods as a girl, but they suddenly improved when my first child was born at 31 years. They became light/normal, no pain, no nothing! Such a relief! This continued all through my thirties until now these past few months (i am on HRT since 43) when the cramps and PMS returned. So sad about that!
I think I was quite firtile all my life but at 36 I had quite a hard time conceiving . I had to take additional Utrogestan for about a year before our second daughter was conceived. In retrospect I think I might have started hormonal fluctuations at that time although periods were regular.

In short, I find now while on HRT that I do better on lower dose of E although too low broght about anxiety and bad mood. Too high also made me bloated, jittery, unsettled, unhappy. I am struggling now to find the right balance!

Where I live in Bulgaria you can go to a private lab and request to be tested even if you are not referred by a doctor. So ideally, if you want, you can track hormone levels throughout the month! One test ( four hormones -LH,FSH, E, Prog) will cost about 20£. Not impossibly expensive but I don't see a point of doing it. Rather, what I have done is test these four hormones on day 3-4 of each cycle. This tells me how I feel versus where my hormones are.
When I do this, I go for the test and then take my morning HRT pill. I have found out that if I take it before the test, results come back very scewed. I do it because I have been cutting my pills in half for the past 3months to alleviate bloating and letargy that I experienced in Dec/Jan.
Sorry, got carried away. Balancing is soo complex, isn't it?

Milamam

skkb

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 06:53:21 AM »

Interesting Dangermouse. Two of my lifelong friends had very light, scanty periods with no pain....they both breezed through the menopause. Whereas I had heavy painful period and my menopause has been, and still is, hell.....the hrt works wonders for the flushes and sweats, they have completely gone, but anxiety and low mood remains, it comes and goes for no reason. Some days I just feel weird like something is terribly wrong, other days I'm on top of the world......never have got to grips with it.

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 08:47:34 AM »

I agree with your observations.  My periods were not horrendous but they did dictate more than I would have liked.  Had no trouble whatsoever conceiving and a try out of HRT in my late 40s sent me climbing the walls.

I have not had too bad a time of it and have not used HRT since. 

I have a 3 yearly DEXA scan, the last one being November and my bones are fine so far.  I am now 59 and any meno symptoms are much less bothersome than they were, flushes milder and less frequent and moods more stable.  Just need a low dose beta blocker and AD daily for anxiety problems.

clare663

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 09:34:38 AM »

Hi all! Very interesting but I had no problems with my periods in the slightest. Very regular and no pain whatsoever. Got PMT while I was on the pill. Had no problem conceiving but suffered from PND after first birth which only cleared when I had my second. Couldnt use the pill after that though as side effects were severe. I got sterilised when i was 36 and now know that the peri started (just hot flushes) soon after. Couldnt take HRT in my early 40's (sent me totally doolally within a week) but have just stated on conti patches (Im now 49 and 5 years since natural period stopped)and settling well (at the moment).

Anjia

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »

I always had very heavy bad periods from a young age ended up having a hysterectomy due to them and  had a terrible time with peri just starting to settle I hope three years post meno.I have the patch and some days feel fine others anxiety is dreadful I think we are all different and how heavy periods are have nothing to do with it .

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »

I know there is wide variation in women's natural levels of oestrogen - you only have to look at the data on the range of estradiol levels at different stages and the ovulatory peak - to see this. It would be interesting to know how this relates to experience of menopause, and periods - but I can't seem to find anything. I'm probably not googling in the right way. There is discussion about the causes of heavy bleeding in principle but not that the problems (in menopause) are more likely to occur in women with higher oestrogen levels overall - although this would be intuitively the case.

I know there is evidence of women who have suffered extreme pms and cyclical depression responding to oestrogen therapy before menopause - this is what Studd bases his work and practice on. I'm not sure that pms would be related to heavy periods though - especially if low oestrogen is a major component?

If you find any studies on this dangermouse I would be  very interested  :)

Hurdity x

Joesmum

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 09:24:08 PM »

I had the most terrifying experience with too much oestrogen.
I was put on 4 pumps of Estrogel which gave me a level of anxiety and hypermania which I will never forget. Truly teryfying.
I will never touch Estrogel again.
I am now on 50mcg patches of EVOREL. I find the patches altogether gentler.
I'm clearly VERY sensitive to hormones but I can vouch that too many made me feel horrificly anxious and manic.

babyjane

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 09:42:40 AM »

Hi joesmum, I can appreciate what you say as I found the same effect many years ago when I was given HRT patches to try without my levels being checked and I don't believe I needed them.  I was convinced our son was planning to murder us as we slept, so much so that I wouldn't go to bed.  Fortunately I added 2 + 2 correctly, realised what was happening and ripped off the patch.

Pages: 1 [2]