Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Palpitations  (Read 9183 times)

dazned

Re: Palpitations
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »

It is more likely to do with your thyroid I think,hrt and thyroxine is a fine balancing act to master  :-\

babyjane

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 01:23:12 PM »

which is one of the reasons I avoided HRT as my thyroid levels have been hard enough to keep stable for a long time.  didn't want to add any more problems into the equation.

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »

I am fortunate in that my endocrinologist fine tunes my dose to be exactly right for me.  100mcg a day is too much and 75mcg a day is not enough so I am on 100mcg for 2 days and 75mcg every 3rd day.  I also take 5mcg T3 twice a day.  this regime has my levels just right for me at the moment but it was hard work getting there and I have to always have the same brand as I react to any little change. 

jgr

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »

Unfortunately they can continue post memo which I am. I feel mine are more frequent, every 2-3 weeks and still get the funny heads, like pressure, on HRT but hasn't stopped them. They are horrid, had all the tests and ok but they can make you a bit lightheaded and tired when at their worse. One of the worst symptoms I feel.

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »

I have a note on my prescription which names the brand I have so the chemist knows.  I have had Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis for nearly 30 years, it is genetic through my mum's side of the family. I am also in the sub group 15% who do not convert T4 to T3 properly, whereas my mother was not, hence the combination therapy. 

I am fortunate in that my endo is at the top of his field and the hospital is lucky to have him on board.  I know for sure I would not be as stable if he was not looking after me.

Anyway this thread is not about me and my thyroid, it is about palpitations so I will stop there  :)

Dulciana

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »

The occasions when I get palpitations seem to be following times of acute psychological or emotional stress.  Does anyone else here experience this?

babyjane

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 06:52:57 PM »

oh yes, it can be guaranteed but I can nip it in the bud with an extra half tablet of my prescribed beta blocker.

I suspect it is due to adrenaline surge, the 'fight or flight' response to the stressor.

wombat62

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 11:51:27 PM »

It's very common unfortunately!

When you get the sudden rapid heartbeat that catches you unaware it's normally from a sudden drop in oestrogen, so might happen at the end of your cycle or after taking a lower oestrogen dose HRT.

The adrenal glands are just responding to the sudden oestrogen drop which initially will cause adrenaline to fall and the heart to slow, to compensate adrenaline is suddenly shunted out and the heart goes fast for a while. It often strikes at night as adrenaline is naturally lower then.

Similar can happen when oestrogen spikes up during the day, before ovulation and if oestrogen HRT is increased. This naturally raises adrenaline so it's more direct than compensatory.

Thanks for this Dangermouse, I wonder if this is what happened to me last week? I was just lying in bed reading, not even thinking about anything and woah...suddenly my heart starts pounding, really fast and strong. Tried deep breathing but it wouldn't slow, then of course started to panic! Was on the verge of calling someone but then eventually it did start to slow. Then of course too scared to sleep, plus I had a bit of a funny head with lying down with the vertigo thing...oh my...!!! In the end I tried to sleep sitting up and did a visualisation exercise and eventually nodded off, woke up again with a bit more panic, dozed again. Anyway, eventually I was able to lie down, about 3 am and slept round to 7.

I still think my hormones are up and down, I've lost so much weight off my tummy that I don't have that buffer anymore and wonder if any stress is just depleting me so quickly now. I've seen a naturopath who's put me on a load of supplements to try and strengthen me.

I would have thought that I'd be well past these strong ups and downs now but guess the operation I had is still coming into play. It's almost like I've done the physical healing and now a lot of other emotional stuff is coming out or I've just used up so much energy healing that I'm empty!

My doc did say I could up my patch (I'm on 50, the lowest) but it goes straight to 100. I did ask about cutting but she said that was okay but couldn't guarantee it would be equal. I did think about sticking 2 patches on just to test it before committing to a prescriptions worth? Any thoughts?

They are all soooo complicated these hormones!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:53:55 PM by wombat62 »

dulciana

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 04:48:23 PM »

Going to see a dr. about my palpitations tomorrow.  Seems whenever I get stressed these days, I get the palps.  Had a wierd one this afternoon, when I was getting really stressed during my practising.   >:(    Headache, tingling hands, hissing in my ears, now.  I'm getting stressed more often these days.  Hubby's noticed that, too.   Bit tough when I'm working for a big organ exam next year.  Lavender bag's next to me; Rescue Remedy and magnesium spray are by the bed.  Feeling a bit tearful just now.  Need a hug. Or a cuppa....

dazned

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »

:bighug: Dulciana

Kathleen

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »

Hello dulciana.

Have a hug from me too!

I still get the palps but they are not as strong as they used to be. Often I would get them on waking first thing in the morning or even after a relaxing nap. I used to think that must be hormones because I wasn't stressing about anything at the time, I was asleep for goodness sake!

I understand that palpitations are very common so I'm sure your doctor will be able to help you.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

K.

dulciana

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 06:45:17 PM »

Thanks, Kathleen and Dazned,   :thankyou:   

wombat62

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 10:35:19 PM »

Hug from me..... going through a iffy time at the moment so sympathise! See my post above when just lying in bed reading, quite happy and whoa..off it went, causing panic and a night of no sleep.

orchid

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »

Check out cardiologist Sanjay Gupta on "You Tube"regarding ectopic beats. He really put my mind at rest! Hope it helps 😃

Dimpy23

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 10:15:44 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation about Sanjay Gupta - what a brilliant chap - I\ve learnt so much and he's put my mind at rest on a lot of points.  Taken a lot onboard.
I'd recommend you take a look - even to find out bits and pieces about heart, magnesium, exercise etc.
Pages: 1 [2]