Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Cruises  (Read 40500 times)

Joyce

Re: Cruises
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »

;D Scampi. But therein lies another problem, a tunnel journey that lasts for about 30 minutes, or so I've been told.  ;) UNDER all that water.

Scampi

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 11:10:24 AM »

Cubagirl - you're in the Tunnel about 20 minutes, but you really don't notice unless you purposely look out of the window (on the Shuttle, that is - it's pretty obvious on Eurostar as the windows are bigger!!).  Tunnels don't worry me at all, whether they are under mountains, river beds, sea beds .... but being 'trapped' with people I don't know who have stomachs I can't predict - all the no!!  (CLKD probably understands  ;))

Joyce

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »

Unpredictable Tums.  :-X Seen & heard many on last transatlantic flight. 

I can manage short boat trips, though have to wear my bands. Hubby goes green on shirt trips, so even if I ever managed to get on cruise ship,  hubby would have to stay at home.  At nearly 60, I'm happy to stick with land & air. Mind you air can be touch & go these days. Here's hoping I survive our upcoming New York trip!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »

>wave< - I was born on an Island and meant to stay on it  ;D

I have been across the Channel to France, one trip took 4+ hours and we sat outside all the while.  I even worried about going to the Isle of Wight  ::) but that was quite pleasant.  Himself has been in the Chunnel (which I never agreed with, long story short) and the journey took 35 mins. all told.  One can't use the Chunnel Tunnel if 1 runs a 'gas' powered vehicle.

I wouldn't go on Windermere etc. either  ::) ! too many un-predictable stomachs!  Why does anyone get air-sick  :-\ is it the heat …….

PEONY

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 02:48:06 PM »

You don't know what you have missed until you have tried it.

Have done two sea cruises, and one river.  All fantastic.
The sea cruises were on small ships so nothing Disney like about them.  Very grown up, in fact on children allowed.
Cruises allow you to get a taste of a country so you can go back and explore if you want.
No packing and unpacking.
I too get seasick, but still worth it.

Life is to short not to try new things.  If you try a cruise and don't like it you don't have to do it again.

Grab life by the b..ls and live a little 8)

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »

NOTHING is worth risking being sick for  :-X  :P : and that includes alcohol and food  :-[

Joyce

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »

Air sickness is due to turbulence. Last Atlantic flight was like being on a roller coaster for several hours.  So much like being on a boat.

Guess there are those of us who love cruises. My neighbour went on one last year for first time around Greek islands. She said it was fantastic. I just can't get my head round it, sorry.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 07:48:44 PM »

Being shut in with 1000s of others leaves me cold …….. it does save flying anywhere, or driving on the wrong side of the road and if land visits are optional extras then it would suit me.  Friends go with Viking for 7-10 days, i.e. down the Rhine etc..  Love it. 

I would be bored on a canal holiday  ::) as I can walk along the tow-paths faster  ;D

PEONY

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »

You would probably like a river cruise.
No waves so no sea sickness.
Not massives of people.
Lots of scenery.
Lots of time off the boat.
Great food.
Etc, etc.

ellie

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »

The smaller cruise ships like the ones we used to go on, usually held around 700 and never felt crowded.... No queues, and dining could be formal or informal...We never did the ships tours, preferring to get a taxi at the ports either on our own or sharing with shipmates. MY personal favourite cruise is to sail across the Atlantic to the Caribbean.....so very relaxing. Also cruising around the Greek islands is so beautiful.

Joyce

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 10:12:22 AM »

We did consider a river cruise many years ago, even looked up various ones online. I still have a hankering to see Norwegian Fjords. Only way I can do that is to get on a boat.  ;)

PEONY

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 12:19:35 PM »

There you go.  Be brave :valkyrie:

Joyce

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 03:49:25 PM »

;D Would need to give hubby a brave pill.  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »

If you find one ..........  ::)

Two hoots

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 01:03:59 PM »

I love cruise holidays, before our 1st I thought all those people we will never find a seat and everywhere will be crowded and three days at sea I will go stirr crazy  ;D now I know it's not like that, the ships are beautiful the staff are brilliant and we have never had problems getting a seat in the bars, restaurants or theatre.

We stay in balcony cabins and love sitting there with a glass of wine drifting along, or eating breakfast floating up a Norwegian fjord admiring the scenery.

Please don't compare a cruise ship to a ferry, I feel the movement on a ferry but a cruise ship is enormous and very stable. I don't fly any more and cruise holidays have given me the opportunity to travel.  In April we arrived in Southampton port and within 15 minutes of parking the car we were holding a glass of bubbly and deciding which of the 13 restaurants we wanted to eat in that evening  :)

Only 106 days until my next cruise  ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24