Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy advice please  (Read 8819 times)

Cazikins

Re: Hysteroscopy advice please
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »

I had my mirena coil removed & a Hysteroscopy done about 3 years ago without a GA.

I too was dreading it but in the end it wasn't too bad. A nurse held my hand & chatted to me, they put a CD on of Xmas songs (& this was in June which made me laugh).

It took about 25 minutes & I was fine afterwards, but everyone is different so go with what YOU are comfortable with.

Cazi x

linz57

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »

That's very true Cazikins, when I've had the general I might well wish I'd gone for it with just painkillers but hey ho, I'll be nervous however I have it done. I can't understand it, years ago I was never like this, I've turned into a wimp hahaha

Elizabethrose

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 01:47:38 PM »

Hi linz57
I had an aborted attempt at polypectomy and endometrial biopsy by hysteroscopy without anaesthesia a couple of months ago. Too much scar tissue (from nightmare 1st labour 28years ago) and they couldn't get through the cervix. This was not a pleasant experience! i was told by the consultant that it is impossible to do this procedure with some women but they have not worked out yet why. Interestingly, follow up conversations indicated that little (or no) research had been done to discover why this differs from woman to woman. The advice of 'take a couple of otc tabs an hour before hand' was frankly ridiculous in my case. I was forced to leave the room and vomit.
I have just had a repeat of this procedure under GA. They couldn't get through the cervix, too much scar tissue, and had to dilate it in the end. The GA left me pooped yesterday but feeling absolutely fine today.
It's great that some women don't suffer any problems having this procedure without anaesthetic BUT many women do. Found this youtube video showing MP Lyn Brown taking the question of this subject to the House of Commons.
Good luck to you, don't be afraid to stop them if you find it impossible to proceed - they are apparently accustomed to this happening!

Elizabethrose

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 01:49:23 PM »

linz57

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 02:43:17 PM »

Oh god, Elizabethrose, that sounds like torture for you and I'm so sorry you had to endure it.
Reading your account and listening to the video you kindly posted, I am now more comfortable about my decision to have a general. Yes, I could have taken the chance and been ok with just painkillers but, I also could have been one who had a bad experience. I ended up having a cesarean section when I had my son, due to my pelvis being tilted out of line ( or something like that) so knowing my luck, the hysteroscopy would have been awful.
Thank you for your post and making me feel I've made the right decision for me..... And if I turn up on the day and they say I can't have a general ( as has happened before with dental surgery) , then I shall come home without the procedure being done. Thank you again🙂
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:45:39 PM by linz57 »

linz57

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 02:53:55 PM »

Could I ask, were you on any hrt when you had the procedure done?

Elizabethrose

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »

No, I'm seriously sensitive to hormone change and any HRT just exacerbates my migraine and causes other problems. So cold turkey for me!
I'm almost 57 and still menstruating although my last period was in Dec so fingers crossed (everything crossed!). The belief is that my migraine will calm when I hit a natural menopause, though it will obviously not happen immediately. Unfortunately, the perimenopause has dragged on for so long, and I am obviously unovulatory much of the time now, which results in high levels of unopposed oestrogen. My endometrium has thickened as a result and that's what they are investigating. My Granny used to say that in her next life she was going to come back as a man - I can understand why now!

linz57

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »

Hope your results come through quickly and you get the all clear. It's bad enough awaiting a procedure but having to wait two weeks or more for results just adds to the anxiety.
Oh yes, I've uttered that phrase about coming back as a man many a time since being post menopausal, I sailed through peri but then  the you know what hit the fan big time once I was a couple of years post meno.
My endo thickness showed 5.6mm, what was yours? I know 5mm is the cut off , but I am still struggling to get my head around needing a hysteroscopy with my endo thickness being just above what is acceptable. Still, I suppose it's best to get it done especially as I had a slight bleed.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »

I have absolutely no idea what the thickness was: the consultant started discussing the results with me just as I was coming to from the GA. I was completely out of it, wondering who all these people were in my bedroom! The nurse in the ward was just giving me the detail from sketchy notes. I'll have to wait for the results which they've said could take between 4-6 wks.

linz57

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »

Wow, that's a long wait!

kew

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 06:34:51 AM »

A few weeks ago I was due to have an endometrial biopsy and like you I was incredibly anxious. I was told to take some painkillers half an hour beforehand. Had a nice discussion with the pharmacist on the best painkillers money could buy !!! as well as going to the doctor to see if she could prescribe something (I was that panicked about it).   I went for the procedure, but was told that they couldn't do it as it would be too uncomfortable for me (consultant said he would have to knock me out), so they just did a smear test - which was what I was meant to be going for in the first place (colposcopy) but the first consultant changed it to an endometrial biopsy.

Never been so relieved, also a negative result  :)

Personally if I had the choice I would want a general if they wanted to do a biopsy again. The anxiety I had pretty much had me in tears everyday. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 07:02:32 AM by kew »

walking the dog

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »

Still waiting for my hyseroscopy result 4 weeks now. My womb linings 9 mm

Elizabethrose

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2016, 08:33:29 AM »

Hi walking the dog

Waiting is the pits! I always think though that bad news will creep through faster.

I wish you well x

linz57

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2016, 08:58:21 AM »

I wish you well with your results too wtd, why the hell do they  make people wait so long? I know there must be so many women having investigations done but even so, 4 weeks is a long time to suffer that awful anxiety .
Kew, so glad you got a negative result, what a relief eh?

kew

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 05:04:12 PM »

Have you called your dr regarding the results.  For my recent smear test they didn't send the results to me but sent them to my dr. I just asked upon the off chance after waiting for 3 weeks. 😕
Pages: 1 [2] 3