Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Changing to sequential  (Read 2543 times)

Dollydream

Changing to sequential
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:49:07 AM »

Hi ladies
Been on continuous hrt for 5 months which didn't suit me as l had breakthrough bleeds for best part of the time.  Saw the doctor last week and she said to stop taking the kliofem and gave me a prescription for prempak c 1.25 to take if my hot flushes returned.  Stopped the continuous a week ago and within a couple of days l had a period like bleed which l expected and this started to tail off yesterday.  However, the flushes have returned, so last night l took the first prempak tablet.  This morning, the period like bleed has started again, could it be to do with me starting the new tablets, could they have kicked in that quickly?  So fed up.  Should l carry on taking them or just wait until my body settles down and suffer the flushes.  Advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: Changing to sequential
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »

Dollydream - I think you needed to give you body a bit more time off HRT altogether.  I had the same problems  with erratic bleeding with conti HRt so gave  myself 8 weeks without any hormones (apart from Vagifem).  I have now started back on HRT and doing a sequential regime - so far I haven't had any problematic bleeding - I've done one cycle and the withdrawal bleed wasn't too heavy but I am using only one pump of Oestrogel daily which is a low dose.
I'm surprised your GP gave you Prempakc as this is a different type of oestrogen as well.  You might have done better on Elleste or Femoston.  I know it 's horrid to get the flushes back but it does take time for the oestrogen levels in our bodies to fully drop so there would still be stimulous of our womb lining for a few weeks after stopping the HRT.
I would stop everything for at least 2-3 weeks or until you haven't bled for 3 weeks and then start fresh.  Dg x

Dollydream

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »

Thank you Dancinggirl, that's really helped. I've got so much on in the next month l think l wanted to get it all underway too quickly without the sleepless nights and the flushes.  Will give it a rest until things settle down.  So glad for this forum xx

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »

Dollydream, welcome to MM.

Prempak really isn't the best type of HRT available and I too am surprised that anyone is still prescribing it because it is not bio-identical and I don't think it is very effective.  I didn't get on with continuous combined HRT either but not because of breakthrough bleeding, in my case it was migraines, low mood and breast discomfort caused by too much progesterone.

If I were you I would switch to either Femoston or the Oestrogel/Utrogestan regime.  If you have got a lot on next month or an important event, I would suggest you get cracking on another form of HRT as soon as you can because you don't want to spoil it. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:47:12 PM »

MaryG - Actually many women do very well on Prempak and when they try other HRTs find they don't do well!!!!
Just because it isn't bio identical doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried.  The oestrogen is very effective - I had it when I first started HRt and the oestrogen bit was great but it was the progesterone that didn't suit me.  I did best on the progesterone dydrogesterone which unfortunately isn't available on it's own in the UK - I do find I get more side effects and problems on Utrogestan!!!
Dollydream I would just try the Prempak after a proper break and see how it goes.  DG x