Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The gallbladder is gone.....  (Read 12631 times)

imgeha

Re: The gallbladder is gone.....
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 07:28:01 PM »

Can I ask whether you had problems in getting your gallbladder problem diagnosed?  I have been having a hell of a time with what I think is an inflamed gallbladder - pain just below the ribs on the right hand side, pain in my right shoulder, nausea, anxiety - but it is not showing itself in an endoscopy, blood tests or ultrasound, which are all clear and normal.  In 2 weeks I am due to have an echo endoscopy, which is kind of my last chance, as I am already pursuing a second opinion.  If that is clear as well, I am stuck, and will have lost credibility with my GP  and two hospitals :-(  Strikes me that getting gallbladder problems diagnosed is difficult unless you have stones. Obviously they have looked at the liver and pancreas too, and that it is also clear, which I guess is faintly reassuring.  The only thing that seems to help is ibuprofen, but I can't take that forever and it is also giving me indigestion.   Feeling stuck ....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 07:32:28 PM »

Maybe ring the appropriate Dept at your local Hospital Imgeha?

wombat62

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 11:38:59 PM »

Hi imgeha

Sorry to hear that you are possibly having gb problems.

Funny, none of my pain ever came from the gb area, mine was centre to left and I'm not sure if mine was ever inflamed as I had an ultrasound during an attack and the docs prodded the area and it didn't hurt there! I do know the stones irritated it and caused the wall to thicken.

I've read up a lot about gb problems and there are a percentage of people who don't have stones but either for some reason the gb gets inflamed or just gives up working. For that you need another scan which is something like HIDA or HILDA. With this scan they make your gb work so they can test the function and if it's below something like 40% they advise removal.

Stones under 3mm don't show up on Ultrasounds so you may have them but they might be small, for that you need a MRI which gives better images. I knew I had one big one from an ultrasound the year before but they must have grown in this last year as they only just showed up on a ultrasound, the MRI found the tiny ones!

You seem to be having classic symptoms of gb issues and I hope you can find someone to help, even if it does mean a second opinion. Each of my attacks were different but one lead to Pancreatitis which is when everything swung into motion.

The difference here is that it's much easier to get scans done as we have to part pay and there are more providers. They've taken the gb issues quite seriously in case of stone blockage.

Try doing a low-fat diet and eat plenty of liver supporting foods. The diet worked for me and kept the attacks under control as you need to rest the gb so it's not working hard.

Good luck and hope you get some answers soon!

imgeha

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 05:27:09 AM »

Hi Wombat

thank you so much for your response.  You have convinced me that I am not bonkers and imagining all this, just that the medical profession hasn't yet done the right tests.  I'm not sure endoscopy number two is going to show much either, if it is an MRI scan or HILDA test that I need.

You mentioned that you pay for some of your scans?  Are you in the UK? I am in Belgium.

I think I may seek out a private doctor in order to get proper testing done.

thanks again

imgeha

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 04:05:07 PM »

JUst an update.  MY GP has referred me today for a HIDA scan next week. Im almost hoping for a bad result, so that I can finally get a diagnosis and some treatment options. Its feels like I've been sick a long time.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

wombat62

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 09:43:56 PM »

Hope you get the answer you want, that's a bit weird but as you say it will confirm what you think!

A lot of people say they didn't realise how under the weather they were until the gb came out. I shall be a spring chicken again once I'm healed..lol....

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »

…….. R U improving?

wombat62

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »

Hi

Doing pretty well thanks! More energy this week but still get tired, then have a little rest and then ok again. Gentle walking for exercise but walked up a flight of stairs today and got quite puffed so will have to work on that! Walking fast still isn't easy as tummy hasn't gone all the way down so it's pulling on the top scar so I have to hold it for support. Need a corset!

Worst thing still is the digestive system still trying to settle. They say 4-6 weeks so still time for it to decide how it's going to be, normal or if digesting fats will be a problem although I'm still doing low-fat at the moment.

W

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 02:05:47 PM »

What do you miss from your diet?

wombat62

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 10:46:47 PM »

I've adapted quite well to the low-fat diet and really savour a tiny piece of cake or something naughty as I know I can't have much of it!

Would be nice to eat the odd burger and chips or French Toast but no doubt that will come in time. The hardest part has been eating out as you just don't know what restaurants put in dishes. Very few places have got the low-fat thing, even if I told them I'd end up in hospital!  I guess the worst that will happen now is a bolt to the loo if I eat too much fat.

Everyone I know has been fine once things have settled down although because my digestive system has never really been normal (hates a change of routine, needs plenty of water and fibre etc) it needs to find a new normal for me.  Having said that it was working lovely before the op which maybe because of the diet and everything working as it should be.

Maybe low-fat suits me, everyone is saying how well and good I look now I've lost the weight (apart from it's shown up the wrinkles!). I'll just get OH to order the bad food and I'll have a bite!

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 08:48:18 AM »

Morning!

It's about acceptance too.  Also, not buying 'treats' so that they aren't to hand  ::)

I have problems with onions, if I eat them unless really well cooked it could send me to Hospital.  Trouble is, I love 'em ! if they are boiled for hours then they don't affect me so there must be a 'poison' in them.  :-\.  Difficult when I eat out and the reason we never buy 'ready-made' foods.

wombat62

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »

My treats are marshmallows and Turkish delight...fat free! They're so sweet you can't eat too much either which is good! Plus a tiny amount of plain choc as its good for you!

i know someone who's allergic to onions and fruit so must be some compounding them,  for you must be something that cooks out!

imgeha

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »

Just updating. My HIDA scan showed a problem with the gallbladder (yay finally!) so I now have an appointment with the surgeon to discuss removal. Bit scared but actually quite relieved that an end is in sight. Now I need lots of positive stories about gallbladder removal please !!! How are you doing Wombat?

Justjules

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »

Hi Imgeha, positive gallbladder removal here....about 7 years ago, keyhole, no probs.  just a bit sore afterwards and watch diet for a while. Like Sparkle, still can get odd twinges in same place but nothing that's a problem. You will feel tons better without it! Worse thing is the trapped wind I shoulder after the op so be prepared for that but they gave me peppermint oil in hot water and it helped. Xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3