Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Postmenopause 48 hot and cold flushes  (Read 9383 times)

scumspawn

Re: Postmenopause 48 hot and cold flushes
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 01:01:14 PM »

Thanks Dancingirl - it was 0.02mg of the old estradoil now its 2mg of the new type. Both estradiols. I don't understand why the Dr freaked out about me being on the pill if that was a lower dose.

is there a way to acclimatise your body to lower oestragen because this is forever now isn't it?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »

HRT isn't forever but some of us do choose use HRT for longer because of the benefits.  Once you get into your 60s then there is a small additional risk of developing breast cancer. If you have been given the higher dose of Elleste e.g. 2mg - then this a medium dose for menopause women and at your age may be appropriate.  I do think you need to read up all the info on this site to get really clued up about what exactly goes on when we hit the menopause.  HRT is not essential but at your age it will be advisable, especially if you are working and coping with stressful stuff.
You are only 48 so it would be good to take HRT until you are at least 53-55. If you use HRT for 5 years in your 50s in post meno then this can protect your heart and bones in the long term.  You may find the higher dose is too much and actually choose to try a lower dose  - it might have been better to start lower??!!  If you choose to continue using HRT into your 60s then it is better to reduce the dosage and switch to transdermal HRT.
When and if you come off HRT then nobody will be able to tell you how long it will take for your body to adjust to the oestrogen deficiency - we are all different.  Try not to worry about the future, take each day at a time - just start the HRT and see how you feel. DG x

scumspawn

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »

Thank you Dancing Girl that is really helpful, I've done so much research my head is reeling! Here's hoping this HRT is a good one for me, I just need to sleep, that's all.

CLKD - thanks for asking, I don't get a great deal of support in some respects but in others I do. School is kind of ok, though they need to sort out some stuff and his dad is ok - he has him every other weekend. Working in the holidays is pretty much impossible though and if I wasn't self employed I'd be stuffed.

I really do not get enough time to myself but things are much easier now my son is older and I'm expecting and hoping it will get easier still. At least he has stopped biting people :-)

scumspawn

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »

Day 4, crying.
I've spent all day on a really good babywearing course - to help with what I do for a living which includes (at the moment) writing descriptions of baby carriers for a client.
I don't actually like babies, or have any interest in them but I've come home and I can't stop crying. I feel like I've lost a bit of my life and the ending is far too near.

Dulciana

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 06:27:33 PM »

I've come home and I can't stop crying. I feel like ...... the ending is far too near.

:hug:  scumspawn.

If it's any help at all, I've had days like this.  I really do hope you find it's all hormonal and that these unhappy feelings will pass.   
Dulciana x

scumspawn

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 06:32:33 PM »

Thank you so much, I'm sure it is just hormones, just need them to level out.

scumspawn

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 08:45:09 AM »

9 hours sleep last night! oh wow!
I'm feeling groggy from too much sleep now, what bliss! This is day 5 of the Ellese Duet Conti

Dancinggirl

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 10:48:17 AM »

:ola: Dg x

scumspawn

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »

day 6 bad sleep, day 7 - 8 hours!
I'm still getting hot flashes but not so unbearable they wake me up, now they are more of a warm comforting patch in the middle of my back.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 02:54:39 PM »

Things are gradually improving for you - this is so great.  It takes 3-6 months to really feel the full benefits but one usually feels back on track within 6 weeks.  Dg x

scumspawn

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 05:06:31 PM »

update at the end of week 2 of HRT, if my experiences help anyone else - it's elleste duet
sleeping much better, I'm getting at least 6 hours a night now, it's not perfect but it's getting there.
temperature is more regulated
mood is even
I'm a little worried that I'm on ten times the amount of estragen than I was on the contraceptive pill but I'm seeing the dr next week and i might drop the dose of this one. there is one with 1mg instead of 2.
I've a slight tenderness in one boob, otherwise all is ok.

scumspawn

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 06:43:19 AM »

Update,  I'm in the middle of month 3 of Elleste Conte Duet and the hot flushes are well under control. Sleep got good for a bit and life was loads better. Now im kept awake with an upset stomach. I feel like I need to poo all the time. I'm not constipated but even after I've gone my tummy aches. What I eat doesnt make a difference.
This hrt has the same progesterone that my contraceptive pill had and I was fine with that.  Im trying cutting the pills in half for a bit to see if that helps.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 07:46:49 AM »

The upset tummy may have nothing to do with the HRT.  Have a look at your diet and see if you can adjust it to help with this.  Buscapan can be helpful, Fennel tea or Peppermint capsules are also good fro digestive issues.  DG x

scumspawn

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 08:03:19 AM »

The hrt is the only new variable.  Nothing else has changed in my diet and I've bloated up a dress size since taking it. I've tried adjusting my diet which is pretty good, no processed food, littke wheat, little sugar but everything upsets my tummy now

Hurdity

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »

Tablet HRT can cause digestive upsets which transdermal HRT tends not to, for obvious reasons. This is in turn may limit the absorption and therefore the effectiveness fo the HRT. Some woman find the continuous progestogens ( as are in conti HRT) causes persistent bloating - and especially the norethisterone in the Elleste Duet conti. Perhaps change to Femoston or a transdermal one such as Evorel (same progestogen though) or Femseven (some report sticking problems as it's kept on for 7 days), or even separate oestrogen patches or gel with progesterone (Utrogestan). Many of us try several types before finding one that we settle on long term.

Also it might be a good idea to consult your doc for persistent stomach upsets - although if it's the HRT tablets then you don't want to end up taking medication for your tum caused by the HRT!

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2] 3