Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Is a full hysterectomy the only guaranteed 'cure' for peri Hell?  (Read 14516 times)

dangermouse

Re: Is a full hysterectomy the only guaranteed 'cure' for peri Hell?
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »

I don't know if its just a fluke, but my sister who is 49 had an endometrial ablation (D&C) a few months ago (due to heavy periods) and she still had the usual PMT for the first couple of months but now they have vanished. She thinks its because her ovaries have (via the brain of course!) decided there is no need to surge out hormones any longer now the womb has been physically altered. Its obviously a much less invasive op compared to a full hysterectomy so might be worth trying it first.

Also, with your anxiety, if its the surging, building up as if you're about to burst type, then beta blockers can be more useful than ADs as they go to the source of the problem, by dampening cortisol. You can take them as and when, and they just last a few hours and give you no side effects if low dose, although i also found they kept everything calmer for another 24 hours. The cortisol surge is very real and will make you feel that something terrible is going to happen, hence why you aren't wanting to be left alone. As for a completely inappropriate remedy, a vodka and soda can also be a good dampener at times...  :-*

Wouldn't it be great if we could have that date to know peri will all be over soon! I agree, its the not knowing that is so hard. I think the reason things got so much worse for you is to do with the peaking of perimenopause, as I started off bad for a few years then went from light nausea and a little nervousness to extreme nausea and anxiety within 3 cycles, so there is a good chance you are due to come down soon. Do keep a note of your cycle so you are more prepared for the fall of hormones and then the anxious oestrogen climb to ovulation, regardless of your HRT regime.

I'm finding the week after ovulation is my only good week in terms of cortisol but the pill is dampening it for me (Brevinor/Ovysmen I've found the most useful as lower progesterone) but I know you tried a couple and they made you feel worse as i read your really helpful pill diaries. I think the fact that you felt so different from week to week on the same pills does show this was more to do with your natural surges, which is exactly my experience now. I don't think the Qlairia will be strong enough as the oestrogen is a lot weaker than the one in the pill and the progesterone is 4th generation which tend to cause the most side effects. i felt terrible on it when I tired it a few years ago (when peri was milder) and why on earth pill companies think its a good idea to make triphasic pills, so you can experience fluctuating hormones all month, is beyond me???!

Hang in there and do check about the ablation option as I think its just an outpatient procedure.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:05:30 PM by dangermouse »

Briony

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »

Hi GRL

Not had chance to RTF yet as only got  a few mins so apols if I am repeating what others have said.

Just a few ideas:

- Have you looked at the Hyster Sisters website? I've often found it very useful

- Have you searched through the previous threads of people who've had their ovaries 'shut down' as a hysterectomy 'trial'? I think (?) Donna Critchon is one?

- Although recent evidence seems to state that transdermal hrt is best, I know in my situation this is not true. Blood tests showed I didnt absorb it as well as a (bio identical) estrogen pill

- In general, you know your body prefers a lot of estrogen but is sensitive to progesterone. Why not give the Mirena a go?

- Remember that all bodies are different. The previous poster comments on Qlaira, but I would disagree based on my two experiences of it. It's not perfect (and takes at least three months to settle) but its the nearest normal I've had since all this chaos started three or four years ago. (You can always top up with gel). It's far, far, better (for me) than the conventional pill which, as you know, was a nightmare from day one. Dienogest (a 4th generation, anti-androgenic progesterone) is pretty well tolerated, and is especially good for heavier bleeds, hence the reason it's used to help endo too. Having the four different phases can be a blessing for some people, especially those who get hormonal migraines like me, as it avoids a long pill free break but does give more prog free days than other BCP.  (That said, I know Chi Chi didnt get on with it so I am not saying it's right for everyone).

Above all, I would ask yourself which, of all the things you've tried, was the closest to feeling OK/stable? That's probably a good guide to what your body likes - then try to tweak.

Thinking of  you x

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 04:35:46 PM by Briony »

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2016, 03:48:04 PM »

Hi GRL
Really sorry that you have been suffering, I had been checking the forum to see if you had been back online but expected that you were still poorly with your hand.  Then logged on today and seen this thread.
Hope you are feeling better and have some respite with the new meds.
My anxiety and depression is back so I know how you are feeling - today I wasn't sure I'd make it through the day, do you know what I mean by that?  Just this awful lowness and despair.  I think my causes are slightly different to yours but the feelings are just the same, so I offer you my shoulder to cry on.
Anyway someone further up mentioned an endometrial ablation and I'm having one soon....so if that does anything for my hormones, I will let you know.
Mandy
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:49:37 PM by Mis71Mum »

Nette32

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »

Could have written so much myself. Currently on prostap as a trial to see if hysterectomy will work. Have you tried this? I am a different person on it. My professor keeps saying to not let anyone take out just womv or ovaries. !must be both. Not read any other replies so sorry if repeating. Feel ur pain xx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]