Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT totally sorted my hirsutism issues!  (Read 6523 times)

matildamouse

HRT totally sorted my hirsutism issues!
« on: April 03, 2016, 03:31:14 AM »

:) I have elevated free testosterone since my 20's with lots of dark undesirable hair all over which has a bit of a genetic component with the females on my paternal side of the family. Laser treatments sorted my hairy legs as it was dark hair, but facial hair was a problem due to it being dark and light hair. So I have been waxing, plucking, threading and eventually shaving my chin for years.

Was on Livial last year which worked great for my hot flushes but was like compos for my "beard" :o
I had to start shaving as I could not keep up with the daily plucking it required. I was in tears the first few times...if I shaved in the morning, I would have stubbles by lunchtime. Had to stop using Livial as I just could not cope having more stubbles than my husband...

So started bio-identical estrogen and progesterone last year Oct and so surprised about the positive effect on my facial hair. Nowadays I tend to "forget" I have a "beard" and resort to plucking about once a week which is adequate. I now only shave if I don't have the time to pluck. It has made a MAJOR difference which is a pleasant surprise. It even makes the extra weight I gained on HRT worthwhile!

Taz2

Re: HRT totally sorted my hirsutism issues!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:40:58 AM »

Great to read this matildamouse! I am always confused over what causes my own hairy chin because it is worse when on HRT which I suppose proves my levels must still be wrong somewhere!

Taz x  :)

matildamouse

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »

On what HRT are you Taz2 as some of the synthetic progestogens has an androgenic effect?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 11:00:15 AM »

I've been on Evorel sequi and conti, FemSeven sequi and conti, and now, due to hysterectomy, oestrogen only Estradot. I also tried Kliovance for a while.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »

Unfortunately - re the too much and too little hair mentioned by matildamouse and Stellajane - I understand that an increase in testosterone relative to oestrogen (even if both hormones are in decline) - causes the androgenic effects ie gaining hair where we don't want it (face!). There seem to be several factors involved in the loss of hair that we want it - on our head. Someone correct me here - but is this due to overall decrease on oestrogen and testosterone - as well as other hormones eg low thyroid?

The thinning of hair on pubes, armpits (?and legs) must also be due to decreased oestrogen I would have thought?

Not sure about your chin though Taz - maybe something to do with the way added oestrogen reacts in your body and affects the balance of oestrogen and testosterone? I know Sex Hormone Binding Globulin has something to do with it - sorry haven't looked this up recently!! Theoretically I would have thought it would improve when you add oestrogen because  you then have more of this relative to T but it all seems a bit of a mystery ???

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »

My paternal side are hairy.  My legs have been like spiders for years  ::).  Under my chin hairs spring from my maternal side.  So pleased that you have had a good result Matildamouse!