Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT at 40  (Read 3157 times)

Northernlights

HRT at 40
« on: April 04, 2016, 06:30:54 PM »

Hello, I'm new here and looking for a bit of wisdom from those who've been there already please!

I've had irregular cycles (16-60+ days) since my first child was born at age 34. Had some tests at age 36, FSH 25, LH 14, oestrodiol 97. Had second baby luckily. Now age 40 have good going menopausal symptoms including flooding, anxiety, foggy thinking, aches and pains, flushes, nausea and so on. FSH 36 and LH 30 on day 3, still have irregular cycles. Thyroid is normal. Scan awaited.

Have read the NICE guidelines which aren't entirely clear about options and the info out there seems fairly confusing for my age group so if anyone with experience of early menopause has time for a couple of questions?

Should I have FSH and LH repeated or is that result clear enough?
Is the combined pill a good option? Or will I get symptoms in the pill free week?
Is mirena and a patch a better option? Especially wanting to fix the flooding. If so which one? Or gel? Or is it just giving something a try?

Fertility not an issue, family complete. Thoughts of HRT are more for long term health protection with hope for a bit of symptom improvement as a side issue. Just looking for what's best at my age. I have at least realised that I do need some sort of hormone replacement.

Many thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT at 40
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »

:welcomemm:

Expect someone with HRT knowledge will be along.  Browse round, make notes ;-).

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:19:44 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Northernlights
My story is very similar to yours - I am now 60 but my meno symptoms started in my mid 30s (I too had my 2 children just in time). You will need some hormones to protect your heart and bones for the long term but while still having periods you are in the peri meno stage so it's a good idea to start on a low dose.  The Mirena might be a very good idea for you as it usually sorts out erratic and problematic bleeding and then allows you to use as little or as much oestrogen as you need alongside. Oestrogen will reduce the  meno symptoms and protect your long term health - you can use oestrogen as pill, patch or Oestrogel once you have had the Mirena fitted. I have used Oestrogel for many years as it allows you to adjust dosage according to your needs.
Do look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page to get clued up on the various HRT treatments but if you are having problematic bleeding then I would definitely consider the Mirena and add in some oestrogen.  I am still on a very low dose of HRT though I am nearly 18 years post meno!!! Keep us posted.  DG xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »

Hi Northernlights

:welcomemm: from me too

re the NICE Guidelines - sounds like you are on the cusp of needing two blood tests. They are quite clear that premature menopause should not be diagnosed on the basis of a single blood test - although you did have them several years ago. There can't be any harm in having another one as suggested 4-6 weeks from the last one, just to confirm - although as you say from your symptoms it sounds like menopause!

Dancinggirl has given you good advice and her experience so I would go with that. Re the Pill - there is a new one called Qlaira which has only 2 tablet free days but varying amounts of oestrogen ( between 1 and 3 mg) which regulates the cycle and might be worth a try as the oestrogen in it is estradiol and therefore bio-identical with our won. There is another one Zoely which has the same dose of oestrogen all through for 24 days and only 4 tablet free days. Both the Pill and the Mirena (with added oestrogen) should fix the flooding. I think which you choose depends on your lifestyle eg gel has to be applied every day and you have to avoid skin contact for at least an hour after application - so if your children are young this might be inconvenenient.  However you can also use tablets or patches - as you suggested - with Mirena for the oestrogen.

Hurdity x

Northernlights

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »

Thanks very much Dancinggirl and Hurdity.

I've now had a look through the treatments section which was helpful. I think I'll probably try the mirena with some oestrogen. Useful to know the gel has to be left uncovered for an hour. Definitely couldn't manage that. My almost 3 year old wouldn't last that long without a cuddle!

I really appreciate the advice and am finding the site a mine of information. Thanks.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:56:38 PM »

Do try the patches - will probably be your best option with the Mirena.  Keep us posted.  Dg x