Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New Here just back from GP  (Read 3021 times)

Molliem

New Here just back from GP
« on: March 22, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »

Hi, I have just stumbled across this site upon my return from the GP and really could do with some advice.  I am 50 and have been premenopausal for a couple of years, with my symptoms going up and down every few months, mainly according to my husband and sons permetual PMT, no sex drive at all, night hot flashes and  very heavy periods which last about 25/30 days and then start again.  Have been referred to a Gyn. who took a biopsy which came back normal and who along with my GP tried to push me into having a Mirena Coil fitted, however I have a history of anxiety and depression plus I am overweight (reducing very slowly thanks to SW), other forums have expressed concern over the side effects of the Mirena, so I have refused.  GP today didn't instill confidence due to a couple of glaring errors showing she had misread the consultants letter; took my BP which was high for me (159/94) and then re-did the test on the same arm a minute later which showed 138/90; asked me if any family members had history of breast cancer or blood clots, then handed me a prescription for Prempak-C 0.625mg/0.15mg, and told me to start taking them anytime (I am on a continuous period at the moment) and come back in 3 months. In and out of her office in 10 minutes. No discussion, no alternatives...  Before heading to pharmacy I decided to check out what exactly I am supposed to be popping and am concerned at the lack of information the GP required of me, and equally that she seemed to give me. I am quite concerned that she has given me a moderate dose rather than a low dose and wonder if anyone can give me any words of advice. At the moment my other symptoms have died down and so it is just the heavy bleeding which is currently the issue and I am loath to switch for Tranexamic acid tablets to HRT if the cure is worse than the condition.  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New Here just back from GP
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »

I can welcome you here but don't know much about HRT.  There is a search button that you could type the product details into to see what threads are relevant, am sure someone will be along soon!

Halfpint

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 06:03:47 PM »

Hi, I have just stumbled across this site upon my return from the GP and really could do with some advice.  I am 50 and have been premenopausal for a couple of years, with my symptoms going up and down every few months, mainly according to my husband and sons permetual PMT, no sex drive at all, night hot flashes and  very heavy periods which last about 25/30 days and then start again.  Have been referred to a Gyn. who took a biopsy which came back normal and who along with my GP tried to push me into having a Mirena Coil fitted, however I have a history of anxiety and depression plus I am overweight (reducing very slowly thanks to SW), other forums have expressed concern over the side effects of the Mirena, so I have refused.  GP today didn't instill confidence due to a couple of glaring errors showing she had misread the consultants letter; took my BP which was high for me (159/94) and then re-did the test on the same arm a minute later which showed 138/90; asked me if any family members had history of breast cancer or blood clots, then handed me a prescription for Prempak-C 0.625mg/0.15mg, and told me to start taking them anytime (I am on a continuous period at the moment) and come back in 3 months. In and out of her office in 10 minutes. No discussion, no alternatives...  Before heading to pharmacy I decided to check out what exactly I am supposed to be popping and am concerned at the lack of information the GP required of me, and equally that she seemed to give me. I am quite concerned that she has given me a moderate dose rather than a low dose and wonder if anyone can give me any words of advice. At the moment my other symptoms have died down and so it is just the heavy bleeding which is currently the issue and I am loath to switch for Tranexamic acid tablets to HRT if the cure is worse than the condition.  :-\

Hi, I have quite a few friends who use the Mirena coil and two of them did suffer weight gain but they were overweight to start with. One of my friends who bled heavily each month is glad she made the decision to go with the Mirena although she was the only one out of my friends who are on it that for her, it took a long time for the bleeding to settle down, possibly 9 months but now everything is fine and she's just glad she's stopped suffering from the bleeding and the terrible period pain she used to suffer. I have not heard of Mirena worsening anxiety or depression though? Anxiety does increase during menopause. I don't know anything about HRT so can't advise on that but have never heard anything negative about the Mirena from my friends that are on it.

robotwars

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:41:50 PM »

prempak was the first HRT I was prescribed, I also have heavy periods very close together which is one of the reasons I went on HRT. I didn't get on with prempak but eventually after several different ones, I'm now on the femseven sequi patches and these have helped a lot. I now only come on for a week every month, so much better. I hope you find something that suits you

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »

Hi Molliem

:welcomemm:

Personally I would not take Prempak - which haooens to be a very old-fashioned type of HRTY and also the cheapest - it consists of horse oestrogens and synthetic progestogens.

I can understand your reservations about the Mirena but many women are absolutely fine on it - and if you would be one of them it would be the best way to deal with heavy periods and at the same time enable you to take oestrogen if this is lacking.

There is also en endometrial ablation if you preferred a physical treatment rather than pharmaceutical - the information is here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php.

There are other forms of HRT which are gentler such as Femoston 1/10 - but I don't think at this stage any form of cyclical HRT will deal with the heavy bleeding - since it is often lack of progesterone due to lack on ovulation which causes the bleeding - and the flushes are generally caused by rapid decrease in oestrogen - although not necessarily low oestrogen when in early peri-menopause - it seems from accounts of women on here.

Hurdity x

elsie001

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 02:51:44 PM »

I'm 49 and got the Mirena Coil fitted last October.  I had put off having it fitted for 6 months due to an earlier experience of the copper coil causing bad pmt & horror stories I read online!  Such a big mistake as my quality of life has improved ten-fold since having it fitted.  My main peri symptoms were chronic insomnia and frequent, heavy bleeding.  Both have now gone.

For a few months after it was first fitted, I did suffer a bit with low mood/low libido but I'm glad I persevered as those improved as my body got used to the Mirena.