Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Finally stopped lurking and joined.  (Read 3140 times)

linz57

Finally stopped lurking and joined.
« on: March 23, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »

Hi everyone, my name is Linz, I'm 57 and six years post menopause.
I sailed through the menopause itself without any trouble, in fact I felt great. However,since 2012 its been downhill at breakneck speed.

Looking forward to chatting with you all :)

Halfpint

Re: Finally stopped lurking and joined.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 02:37:41 PM »

Oh dear! That doesn't sound great if I have to go through menopause and then still go downhill at the end of it!
What do you mean by things have gone downhill?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 02:43:19 PM »

Hi linz57

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear this! Oestrogen levels decline for approx 2 years after the last period and then stabilise at a low level thereafter - although I gather hormones don't finally cease working until some years afterwards, according to a paper I read.

Are you suffering flushes/sweats at all - or maybe you are taking other medication eg ADs that hide these symptoms so that it's other things you are noticing? If not, what symptoms are you experiencing now?

Hurdity x

linz57

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »

I don't know if I would still have flushes or not because I'm on a combined conti patch.

When I say downhill, maybe some of it is just down to naturally ageing but I seem to lurch from one medical problem to another these days. Palpitations, anxiety, tinnitus, digestive issues,Mortons neuroma on my foot, BFS symptoms (benign fasciculation syndrome) sinus problems and on and on. Prior to 2012 I felt a lot fitter generally.

linz57

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »

Hi Sparkle, you are so right. I never used to get anxious about health issues but it's difficult not to worry when meno throws something at you on a regular basis. Scary symptoms too, especially the BFS. Did you get evaluated by a Neuro and have an EMG? I haven't bothered yet. It started out of the blue and looks like it's here to stay

Winkle

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 06:07:14 PM »

Hi linz57, glad to know you've finally joined us and I'm not the only nutcase on here. Some of this stuff you've mentioned I've never heard of. Getting old sucks!

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:56:05 PM »

An EMG measures the reactions of your muscles and the motor neurons which work and control them. http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/electroconvulsive-therapy/basics/definition/prc-20014183

Just as an aside there is a condition called Benign Fasciculation Syndrome which can mimic Motor Neurone Disease and MS. It's worth knowing as it's not much talked about but isn't life threatening and is usually linked to anxiety. http://www.bfsrecovery.com/whatisbfs.php

Welcome to the forum linz57.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 07:25:25 PM »

Sounds about 'normal' from where I'm sitting  ::)

:welcomemm:  browse round, make notes!

linz57

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 09:40:38 PM »

Thank you for the welcome and winkle, nutcases unite haha :)

To be honest I wasn't anxious before  the fasciculations started out of the blue, I had actually just returned from a lovely holiday. However, I have also read that it can start after a virus or even a vaccination. I had a flu vaccination two weeks prior to mine kicking off so did that start it? Who knows but a few people online have said theirs started after that. Hmmm.....
I find exercise  makes mine worse and also makes the muscles ache and cramp. To be honest itseems to sharea lot of symptoms of Fibro and CFS.

All good fun eh?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:46:34 PM by linz57 »