Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: US Elections  (Read 41378 times)

breeze

Re: US Elections
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2017, 07:46:12 PM »

All Trumps books are about making money (what a surprise), and generally panned by the critics.  Obama's, on the other hand, have been critically acclaimed and some have been best sellers.

Always found Obama's speeches inspirational.

dulciana

« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »

One thing I did notice.
President Trump does seem to repeat himself quite a bit - he says many things twice.
Perhaps it makes giving speeches easier - memorise one phrase then repeat as required.
Noticed it during the election too - he hasn't improved.

It's what he does, rather than what he says, that will be the proof of the pudding.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2017, 10:25:25 PM »

I'm afraid that I long ago stopped listening to any speech that a Politician might give as it's so full of fillers that mean nowt!  Why not get to the knub of the matter and gut out the gobbledegook between important points!?!  I probably shut off around the time of John Major and when it got to President Blair .......  :-X I stopped altogether.

Short and to the point ?

Dana

« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »

He was the American people's choice!

Not necessarily, if you go by popular vote. He won the electoral vote not the people's choice vote.

I didn't bother watching any of the inauguration because I can't stand anything to do with Trump. However I doubt very much that he didn't have a script. All those people have teleprompters and they are usually placed in such a way that they can't be seen so it makes the speaker look like they are giving an impromptu speech. Even Obama uses them and he is a far better speaker than trump will ever be.

I personally think that trump is an absolutely disgusting person. He is a bold face liar, he treats anyone who isn't an anglo saxon male abhorrently and the things he boasts about planning to do are frightening.

However,  regardless of what any of us think, or how many people protest, it is what it is. What everyone needs to do now is actually give it time to see what happens. People forget that trump is one person and he is not solely responsible for running the country or the world for that matter. Like most democratic countries, in the US there are a lot of checks and balances in place and I am hopefully that there are bigger people behind the scenes actually running the country who simply won't allow him to run riot like he thinks he can.

Ju Ju

« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2017, 11:50:31 PM »

One thing I did notice.
President Trump does seem to repeat himself quite a bit - he says many things twice.
Perhaps it makes giving speeches easier - memorise one phrase then repeat as required.
Noticed it during the election too - he hasn't improved.

It's what he does, rather than what he says, that will be the proof of the pudding.....

Unfortunately, what he says is having a detrimental effect. Many people share his prejudices and he gives them permission to act on them.

cubagirl

« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »

Not necessarily, if you go by popular vote. He won the electoral vote not the people's choice vote.

However,  regardless of what any of us think, or how many people protest, it is what it is. Like most democratic countries, in the US there are a lot of checks and balances in place and I am hopefully that there are bigger people behind the scenes actually running the country who simply won't allow him to run riot like he thinks he can.

I agree, the proof will be in how he actually runs the country.

Ju Ju

« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »

My son's wife and all her family were out marching in their local city yesterday with many, many others. Not my son though, as he was at work. What a strange situation the USA is in.

Menomale

« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »

Something similar (well, similar but opposite really) happened here in Brazil when a former mettalurgy worker and ultra-left winged was elected president, Lula. Almost half of the population loved him, almost half hated him. We, the ones just perplexed with the whole situation, have survived. Just to see his mate and successor Rousseff being impeached by the ultra-righ winged Temer who is being asked to resign by 70% of the population....

"Nobody told me there'd be days like these... strange days indeed" John Lennon.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »

I am getting fed up with all the hatred towards Trump on social media. It's just awful and I can't see the point in it.  We all know he's said some very stupid and offensive things but then so have other celebs and they don't get anywhere near the flack he does.  It is getting boring too .... all this stuff about his orange makeup, his hair, the white around his eyes it is just yawn making and I shouldn't think he's bothered in the slightest about what people say or he would have changed his looks by now.

Some of the remarks I've seen by people I know on Facebook are awful and they are churchgoers, yoga teachers, playgroup leaders etc and it's not as though we even live in America!

Imagine if we had all directed such remarks at Obama or his wife and ridiculed their looks, their clothes etc. Imagine if we spoke about Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn, the Queen or any other high profile person like people do of Trump.

I am not a Trump fan and him being President will not affect me at all but this hatred is not a positive way for people to be behaving. 

breeze

« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »

He is not a mere 'celeb' he is the president of the most powerful nation on the planet, and his actions can affect us all.

I think the world is in a very dangerous situation, and his man really does not deserve any respect.

Ju Ju

« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »

Trump has directed a lot of abuse at Obama including suggesting he was not American born. He and his family fielded all the abuse with grace. I think Michelle Obama's suggestion of when others go low, go high is the way to go.

I do think there is a silver lining here as the treatment of all those groups who suffer from prejudice is really being highlighted in a way it has never been before. It is an opportunity to examine what prejudice really is, how it comes about both collectively and on on a personal level. There may be some some retrograde steps short term, but maybe long term there could be positive outcomes further down the line.

breeze

« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »

Well that's not as bad as when he mocked a disabled man.

Truly shocking.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »

Well that's not as bad as when he mocked a disabled man.

Truly shocking.

I think you'll find that story has already been debunked Breeze.

I believe it was Bradley Wiggins who turned up at a charity event for disabled children and made some very derogatory comments but that was all hushed up. Look at some of the stuff Lily Allen comes out with too! 

breeze

« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2017, 06:10:00 PM »

Have read his excuses and they won't wash.

Don't really care what Wiggins says.  Cyclists are unlikely to affect our lives.

Only if he is elected PM.

nearly50

« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »

Have read his excuses and they won't wash.

Don't really care what Wiggins says.  Cyclists are unlikely to affect our lives.

Only if he is elected PM.

Totally agree and we're in for a very scary 4 (or even 8!) years. Screaming 'fake news' when people don't believe his lies is going to lead to some seriously frightening diplomatic situations.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14